HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
211 Posts
Discussion
iOSB Mini, AVL58, and H3-2D... AVL58 Connection

Hi All...

Ok, long time no chat, hope you all are well. I see we have A LOT of new people here due to the Phantom.

Ok, this is a strange one coming from me. And it is kind of a silly one...

It seems that the AVL58 was changed sometime back when DJI came out with the HD-2D gimbal. The controller for the gimbal has an A/V out female port where the AVL58 would be able to connect directly to it. In the past, it came with a breakout cable to wire in with any camera. (As most transmitters.) However they now have this one all in one connector and thus now an the issue with the iOSD. (Mini or Mark II)

The HD-2D does come with a male connector that has the bare video wires at the other end. As such, you can put into the iOSD without issue. But then the issue is coming out of the iOSD and into the AVL58 based on the new cable they suppply.

The issue now is they units do not work together without hacking the connectors that came with the AVL58. DJI also sold these in kits that came with iOSB Mini, AVL58, H3-2D, 2.4 Bluetooth Datalink, and Hub. But as mentioned, you can not use the iOSD mini or even a Mark II without cutting the cable that came with the AVL58.

Please advise on how you would wire this as I did buy the combo kit but it is not useable. Even the dealer also was not aware of this.

So, has anyone run into this? I did not want to just cut the male end off the cable that came with the AVL58 not knowing what I would find. It also seems really weird they would not include a cable that would work with it all. But this one cable has the male video connector and just power and ground at one end, and the other is a 8 pin connector.

(Even thought I had a complete setup working, I wanted to try to standardize on some products. So no more gimbal from one person, IMU and controller form another, OSD and transmitter for others. Etc.)

David
Flying Quads from 2011 - Before their were all in one RTF units. You know, when it meant something special.
My Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/David350Z
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Hi All...

Ok, long time no chat, hope you all are well. I see we have A LOT of new people here due to the Phantom.

Ok, this is a strange one coming from me. And it is kind of a silly one...

It seems that the AVL58 was changed sometime back when DJI came out with the HD-2D gimbal. The controller for the gimbal has an A/V out female port where the AVL58 would be able to connect directly to it. In the past, it came with a breakout cable to wire in with any camera. (As most transmitters.) However they now have this one all in one connector and thus now an the issue with the iOSD. (Mini or Mark II)

The HD-2D does come with a male connector that has the bare video wires at the other end. As such, you can put into the iOSD without issue. But then the issue is coming out of the iOSD and into the AVL58 based on the new cable they suppply.

The issue now is they units do not work together without hacking the connectors that came with the AVL58. DJI also sold these in kits that came with iOSB Mini, AVL58, H3-2D, 2.4 Bluetooth Datalink, and Hub. But as mentioned, you can not use the iOSD mini or even a Mark II without cutting the cable that came with the AVL58.

Please advise on how you would wire this as I did buy the combo kit but it is not useable. Even the dealer also was not aware of this.

So, has anyone run into this? I did not want to just cut the male end off the cable that came with the AVL58 not knowing what I would find. It also seems really weird they would not include a cable that would work with it all. But this one cable has the male video connector and just power and ground at one end, and the other is a 8 pin connector.

(Even thought I had a complete setup working, I wanted to try to standardize on some products. So no more gimbal from one person, IMU and controller form another, OSD and transmitter for others. Etc.)

David
Flying Quads from 2011 - Before their were all in one RTF units. You know, when it meant something special.
Just leave the 8 pin connector on and cut the power and video plug off and create your own.

This is how I did mine

Pin out of 8 pin cable

Battery (-) - yellow
Battery (-) - black
Battery (+) - green
Battery (+) - white
Channel - red Not Used
Channel - brown Not Used
Video Ground - purple (iOSD Video Ground)
Video Out - grey (iOSD Video Out)
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blade strike; Dec 28, 2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2012
211 Posts
Ok, Bingo! I did not have the PIN out before and I did not want to cut the end off without knowing what was going to what. Seems they doubled up on the power and ground.

No clue why they would do this other than making the AVL58 easier to hook into the H3-2D. But that totally messes it up for their own OSD.

Thank you.

David
David Bott is offline Find More Posts by David Bott