SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2004, 06:13 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Alert
Friends DEFINETLY dont let friends fly drunk!!

aaaahaha oh crap, here it goes (still in shock ourselves).

Disclaimer: This is SO STUPID.

Anyways, we were just chillin, enjoying my night off, sipping on some cheap albertsons brand canadian whiskey w/ some coke , we had an AMAZING day of flying, weather was perfect all day, no mishaps/malfunctions, 2 of us, one slowstick, over 20 flights, didnt even break a prop!

Ok so needless to say we were jazzed, drinkin, and playing cards in the garage, the SS just sitting on the workbench in all of her undamaged glory.

This is where the alcohol takes effect.

Were up walking around, opened the garage door to get some fresh air, as usual both commenting on how amazing it would be to fly in the perfect cold, calm night air. But it didnt stop there did it, no we are idiots.

"I wonder how hard it would be to ROG right here, turn around right past the stop sign and land it right back commin towards us" I say in a slightly slurred voice. "I was just thinkin the same thing" Josh says with more than plenty of drunken confidence.

"But that would be stupid" he adds, "yeah it would" I concede, as I pass him 2 more rubber bands to secure the wings on.

"any cars comming??" he asks, "NO" I yell back, and she was in the air.

A slow left, a fast climb( "fast" as in relevant to the SS) and she was above the lights soaring back towards us over the treeline quickly disappearing into the black sky.

"Dude what the $#% are ya doing" I shout "hell if I know, where the hell is it??" comes the reply.

At this point we did the only thing we could. Listen. Listen to the hum of the lil 300, follow it with out ears. Listen for the crash. Hope. Hope its nearby, hope its not into a car or a house.

In, what felt like an eternity, ' bout 10 seconds, we get "lucky" she's comming down. straight down. Into the center of the street.

Now details(our memories) are still sketchy, but he mustve nosed her down, because as most of you know, the SS does not just dive by herself, we dont know, we cant remember, the whole thing was stupid.

We make the short walk, prop is toast, of course, no wing or tail damage thankfully, just a nice bow in the fuse, managed to bend it mostly out, its still not perfect, close, but the only bending is down and to the right

Now, here's the moral, if youve been drinking, leave your damn planes alone!!!!

The worst damage the SS now isnt from day of flying, not from some pilot error we could learn from, its there for no good reason at all. It wasnt fun, it was 25 seconds of terror.

More importantly, is what could of happened, damage to someones car, damage to someones home.(it was after 1am so there was no people about 'cept us 2 idiots)

Alcohol, its not just that it screws up your flying abilities, its the fact that we even tried to fly it in residential area in the middle of the night. We would not have done it if we had not been drinking.

I figured I would share this story so maybe people can learn from idiocity of the poster(s)

Feel free to comment on our stupidity, the word for today is h-u-m-i-l-i-t-y.
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Mar 04, 2004, 06:21 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
That was brilliant.....any other comment would superfluous.....
But why would you really want anyone to know about this?

The fact that the word "dude" was used tells alot.

At least you're realistic about what could have happened.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Mar 04, 2004, 06:31 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Actually the word "dude" was used alot.

Humility is important....your reply was on par with what I expected.

"The fact that the word "dude" was used tells alot." That sentence says a thing or two about you too, Head Cheese.

Its cool tho, we appreciate your response, dude.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 06:47 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
OR BUILD DRUNK....

Back in my drinking years I had had quite few beers while I was building a stick and tissue Mr. Mulligan. It was going together great I thought at the time. Then the next morning I looked at it and the fuselage was twisted like a propeller. The plane was ruined. I'm glad it wasn't an expensive kit. Guess I was just lucky I didn't super glue any important bodily parts together.

I've since quit drinking.

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Mar 04, 2004, 06:59 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
LOL!!! funny story....Weve learned drinking and anything that has to do with modelling/flying doesnt seem to be too bright.

Drinking actually isnt so bright, period, but thats another topic.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:05 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
I would keep drinking and buy some LIGHTS.

Or maybe drink lite Beer

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Last edited by SPFD-E-FLYER; Mar 04, 2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2000
2,039 Posts
What did Dean Martin say?

He felt bad for non drinkers, because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day. We have some guys at our club you'd swear were drunk by watching their planes, but have never touched a drop!
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:14 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
hahahahaha... so true... I feel best at 5pm after the headache finally goes away from friday night...

I've never had the notion to fly while drunk... mostly because standing is the biggest challenge Im man enough to face by then, haha.

I've seen some guys at our campus field who have done some things that... well... it would have been in their best interest to claim to have been drunk - even if they weren't!
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:21 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
Did you make your buddy WALK home?

Glad you guys are OK.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:31 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Were brothers....flew outside of the house....nobody was driving anywere....
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:54 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
LOL. I have been there. But it was pre-meditiated. I invited some friends to come over, have some beers and test out the new lights I put on my GWS 'moth. So we proceded to get throughly hammered. walked to the field (30 mins) beer in hand. I flew the moth like a champ (I am a good pilot and the moth basicly flys itself) then my friend who has NEVER EVER flown asks if he can try. If I was sober I would have said no. So i take it up to 100' and pass him the sticks. HE FLEW PERFECT! I kid you not, he flew a few laps did 1 loop and handed the controlls back. so I land it, he goes over to the plane and picks it up by the rudder, compleatly rips it off the plane, dumb. I have let him fly since then when he was sober, he sucks. go figgure.
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
Old Mar 04, 2004, 08:55 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wmcneal
OR BUILD DRUNK....

Bill
I do this too often..... ( opens another cold one)
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Mar 04, 2004, 09:01 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
LMAO!
Old Mar 04, 2004, 09:18 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
drinking ...modeling ...flying Or drinkinig with "models" that fly rc.....can't all be bad.....good luck and good flying ...
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Mar 04, 2004, 09:54 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
I've NEVER flown while I've been drinking Tequila at my house with some friends over on Saturday night a few weeks ago....uhhhh...
well... at least the plane had lights.

mw

Disclaimer: RCGroups is not responsible for its idiot, irresponsible moderators who choose to do dopey things late in the evening just for the sake of showing off and because one of the other drunken dimwits dared him to.
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Mar 05, 2004 at 01:09 AM.