SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2004, 01:49 PM
Crazy bubble-head!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
Nice job!

I know what you mean about her performance.

If I can offer some advice? Perhaps you could look at extending your dive plane shafts outside the side keels and adding clear plexi control surfaces there. The stock Nautilus planes are next to useless to control her trim.

Also... rework your linkages so that the planes run opposite each other (IE: forward planes dive, rear planes surface). I have configures my Nautilus this way, and it seems to help a lot.

I find that, properly ballasted, my model will dive herself. I get up a decent turn of speed with my tanks flooded, and she will gradually pull downwards. I can set my throttle to a certain point where she holds perfeclty level just under the water, creating a really cool ripple on the surface.

If you have any more pics of your model, I'd love to see them. I collect pics of other people's Nautilus projects, and I have plans of making a wepage dedicated to all of the other models that I've collected pictures of in the near future.

I'd love to talk regarding your model's performance. I'm sure with a bit of reworking, she'd be a fine and eye-catching model. E-mail me at bob@rc-sub.com and we can talk more.
Nemo is offline Find More Posts by Nemo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2004, 11:56 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Nice job!
Thanks Nemo, you have a very nice looking Nautilus also.

Quote:
I know what you mean about her performance.

If I can offer some advice? Perhaps you could look at extending your dive plane shafts outside the side keels and adding clear plexi control surfaces there. The stock Nautilus planes are next to useless to control her trim.
I always welcome advice. I looked at extending the shafts but decided against it becase of the looks. Looks ok in the water but I couldn't come up with a good way of hiding the shafts when it was out of the water. Part of this thing's job is to sit on the mantle and look cool.

Quote:
Also... rework your linkages so that the planes run opposite each other (IE: forward planes dive, rear planes surface). I have configures my Nautilus this way, and it seems to help a lot.

I find that, properly ballasted, my model will dive herself. I get up a decent turn of speed with my tanks flooded, and she will gradually pull downwards. I can set my throttle to a certain point where she holds perfeclty level just under the water, creating a really cool ripple on the surface
I got close. Between playing with the dive planes and the natural force of that pointy front end I could get the front end to dive but then the prop would partially lift from the water and that would be the end of that. I intended to add a ballast tank that would let me kill off a little more of the positive bouyancy. Never got around to it but from your description that sounds like what you ended up doing. Can you tell me a little more about how you have your sub set up?

I'll try to post some more pictures tomorrow. This sub's got a lot of sentamental value to me. I had a good friend and mentor who started building one. The day I visited him he was feeling a little down so to cheer him up I asked him if I could build one too. He's gone now but I learned a lot from him and I have the sub to remind me of the good times we shared.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Last edited by eatond; Apr 07, 2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:07 AM
Crazy bubble-head!
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
Dan,

You can access a full write-up on my project, with pictures, at The Nautilus Drydocks.

My sub is a full static diver, ballasted slightly negative when flooded. Her tank is about five inches long and six in diameter. She is set up with automatic levelling device (connected to the planes), automatic depth keeper (not connected), auto failsafe system (to ballast servo), 25A speed controller, and more!

SHe's powered by the electric motor from a vehicle's radiator. Excellent motor with 10 poles and tons of torque for that 3.75" diameter prop.

I'm in the process of adding non-authentic dive planes aft of the propellor to aid in controlling her trim when under full speed. These planes are easily removed with four small bolts hidden just behind the trailing edge of the side-keels. With the addition of these planes, I should have complete control over this awesome-looking sub. I intentionally modelled them in the same character as the rest of the sub, rivets and all. Only a die-hard Nautilus fan can tell that they're not supposed to be there.

I'll have pics of the new planes posted to my site shortly (say next Monday).

I'm looking forward to seeing more shots of your Nautilus.

Bob Martin
Old Apr 09, 2004, 04:46 AM
Europe / austria
Joined Feb 2003
2 Posts
british x-craft

reliable small x-craft (metcalf-mouldings.com)

Brüggen pump dive-system, with 250ml. Baxter bag

greetings from Austria

jimi
jimi is offline Find More Posts by jimi
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:37 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Man these boats are so cool! It was against my better judgment that I even looked!!! Patrick
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Apr 25, 2004, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2004
193 Posts
in the making.....SSN 585 Skipjack
reaper is offline Find More Posts by reaper
Old May 01, 2004, 12:56 PM
Twin SCREWS
STL
Joined Apr 2004
7 Posts
i was looking at getting into subs, how much wud it be to outfit a good kit, i mean TOTAL COST including batteries ( i have a charger and 6 cell batts)
SeaVillain is offline Find More Posts by SeaVillain
Old May 02, 2004, 12:48 AM
Joined Apr 2004
10 Posts
Hell of a job!!! shows what a real craftsmens can do.
charles2345 is offline Find More Posts by charles2345
Last edited by charles2345; May 02, 2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old May 13, 2004, 03:58 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaVillain
i was looking at getting into subs, how much wud it be to outfit a good kit, i mean TOTAL COST including batteries ( i have a charger and 6 cell batts)

$2000 . (Forget your charger and batteries. Different league here.)
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Old May 13, 2004, 04:32 PM
Crazy bubble-head!
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

There are some entry level kits put out by companies like Subtech and Small World Models that would run between $700 and $900 all in. You'd be looking at a smaller model with a vac formed hull, not much detail, but a solid performer.

FAA's right with his estimation, though. Once you step into the higher end kits, you're looking at around $400 for the hull, another $500 for your WTC. Say another $500 in electronics (APC, AFS, ADC, etc...), plus another $300 for a decent radio. That puts you upwards of $1700, not including misc. materials you'll need to build her up (paint, glues, epoxies, etc...).

Hit the high-end hits like the OTW Type VII and you'll be forking out around $1200 for the hull. The only Disney Nautilus kit that I know of in a decent scale is around $1800.

Even scratch-building your hull will only save you around $300 or so, plus you typically won't be getting the same quality of product as what the professionals can put out (there are some exceptions, I know).

You can get away from this by going with a dynamic diver, but a lot of people don't really count these as 'true' RC subs. They are far simpler, and hence cheaper to build, but have a lot of limitations that you'll need to live with.

Hope this helps.

BTW.. I'm using a honkin' 12V, 12Ah sealed lead acid battery in my Nautilus.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1 Posts
80 In.pt-19 Kit By Pilot

Does anyone out there have or know where I can obtain one?
gordondey is offline Find More Posts by gordondey
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2004
193 Posts
alfa time.....

gonna make a couple of alfas...
reaper is offline Find More Posts by reaper
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:07 AM
Crazy bubble-head!
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
Nautilus video clip

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this or not, but I'll post it just in case. I took this video at nearby Thetis Lake a while back. It shows my model at rest, gathering a bit of speed, and then diving as it passes the camera. When it passes, it's at about 1/3 throttle.

Check it out: Nautilus video (approx 8.75mb)

Note the working lights in all of the applicable locations as she passes.

I love my model.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:06 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I wanna see RAMMING speed!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Jun 21, 2004, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
here's my sub! just finished a few hours ago!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1921950
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Last edited by petn7; Jun 22, 2004 at 03:28 PM.