SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2004, 09:52 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Latina "Hellen"

I thought as long as I'm building the Hellen I'd go ahead and run a thread in case it might help someone else along the way.
The kit is really very nice, with a good solid molded plastic hull with a wood sub structue to suppurt all the running gear.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2004, 09:59 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Minor Changes

My first Hellen was built stock, but after running it for awhile saw a couple things that could have been done better. First, I added the 1/8 X 1/4 spruce stiffening rails along the motor / battery tray. The grain is running the wrong way, and required stiffening where it extends forward past the keel. I'll keep you all posted with the other changes as they occure.
The sub structure fits nicely inside the hull and will require very little trimming before gluing. Stay tuned!
PAT
Old Mar 04, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,320 Posts
As Always, I would like to request a special focus on
propeller shaft, and motor connections.

This is where a lot of people ask for help.

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 04, 2004, 11:09 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Excellent timing, I have one of these kits in its way here right now and will start building as soon as I receive it. Please keep this up to date!

Cheers,
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland
David Smith is offline Find More Posts by David Smith
Old Mar 04, 2004, 02:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Talk about timing!

FYI I just got my e-mail "sale flyer" from Model Expo, and the Hellen kits are on a close out for $59.95. Look in on their web site at www.modelexpo-online.com

Umi, I will put a special emphasis on the drive gear installation. Putting the prop tube in this one is a bit tricky so will post photos to help simplify the job.

David, You have to jump on this one right away, it's a great running boat, and my old relic is still at the top of my "favorites" list.
PAT
Old Mar 05, 2004, 12:20 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Thanks, Pat, but I ordered and paid for my Hellen last week from a company in Germany. Getting a kit-sized box over the Atlantic and through Finnish customs is no fun at all, so these days I restrict such purchases to EU countries. I paid 135€ for my kit (164$) but it was still a lot less than any price had seen previously. Assuming that the substitution of the ABS hull for Eileen's wooden one has not affected the running, then I will be very happy, as I was always impressed by my clubmate's Eileen.

Cheers, Dave S
Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:53 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Hi Pat, any progress on your Hellen? I got mine in the post today, have checked through and am ready to make a start. The prop was broken in the post, but the rest is OK.

What size of motor will you be using? I have a 545 with a 3:1 gearbox that I thought might be suitable, and will probably use a slightly smaller prop than the kit one (which is about 62mm!)

Cheers,
Dave S.
Last edited by David Smith; Mar 10, 2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:26 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Proogress on the "Hellen"

Dave, I haven't done much else on the Hellen since the last post. I did discover that the stuffing tube was missing in my kit, so I'll make one from thick wall K & S aluminum tubing drilled to accept the kit bushings. I hope to work on that today.
On my first Hellen, I used the Dumas 6V high speed motor and a Master Airscrew 2.5:1 drive with the kit prop, which works great. In the new one I'll use the Dumas 6V high torque "Pitman" style motor and the kit supplied prop. Eithr way, motor mounting using the clamshell style band atop bass wood blade style bearers is the easiest way to go. I'll attach photos as soon as they're available.
BTW, in the construction photos, they tell you to gawl out the prop shaft opening with a rat tail file---that's doing it the hard way. It's alot easier to remove that section of keel with an Exacto knife after the keel doublers are glueed in place. Then, if there is any obstruction inside the tunnel, clean that out with a file.
More to come, PAT
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:34 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Being a European, I was not familiar with Dumas motors, but I just found a picture of it, looks a bit bigger & more substantial than the 545 I was hoping to use, which does look a bit lost in that hull! Time for a look around at what I can find here, I don't fancy paying $60 plus post plus duty plus tax!!
Dave
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:47 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Dave, The Pitman motor is a high torque, low RPM "05" class motor with very low current draw. Actually, it acts like a gear drive without the excess noise and complecity. If you already have a suitable system though, you should stick with it. I started with a Mabuchi 540 on a gear drive in my St. Elme with excellant results, the duration was just a little shorter then when using the Dumas high speed motor with the gear drive.
BtW, this boat runs extreemly well on very low power, so at the very least, using the system you have the boat will be a good bit overpowered. 90% of the time, you'll be running at 1/3 throttle or less and getting some great run times.
PAT
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:30 AM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
I'm sure you're right; I have very little experience with scale boats, my last was a fast gun boat. Perhaps it's best to go with the motor I already have, at the least, it avoids having to spend any more money!

Cheers,
Dave S
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
The prop shaft is in

Building the prop shaft was a simple matter of drilling out the ends of the new prop shaft tube and pressing the bushings in. A home made tool was used in the lathe to insure the bushings pressed in straight and true.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:04 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
Installing the tube

Once the bearing tube was complete, the whole in the hull was opened up a bit with a rat tail rasp and the tube inserted. The extention block was drilled and tached in place with Cya, and finally, the shaft aligned and glues in place.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:05 PM
Elimäki Finland
Joined Jan 2003
279 Posts
Nice, wish I still had a lathe.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:06 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,491 Posts
On The Inside

The shaft prodrudes through the inner frame over the equipment floor.