HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, AR, Dardanelle
Joined Nov 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Z Cub

I'm ready to jump back in the hobby in a smaller way than before. Does anyone know of a Hobby Shop that has E-flite's Carbon-Z Cub 1/4 scale in stock that will ship? Would really like to aquire one. Message or call 479-699-4647 Thanks
cubpilot51 is offline Find More Posts by cubpilot51
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
You can try their store locator ....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/StoreLocatorView

Looks like they are not due in until early Feb, 2014

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...450#quickSpecs

It would be nice if you could find floats for it and fly it off the lake.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Dec 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubpilot51 View Post
I'm ready to jump back in the hobby in a smaller way than before. Does anyone know of a Hobby Shop that has E-flite's Carbon-Z Cub 1/4 scale in stock that will ship? Would really like to aquire one. Message or call 479-699-4647 Thanks
Worth noting that it does qualify as giant scale, but the actual scale is 1/5 scale, not 1/4 scale. Wingspan is around 85".

I think the PnPs with out the RX included are not terribly hard to find at the moment. The BnF version with the RX are in high demand as the RX is included for very little extra cost.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2013
7 Posts
It is a clipped wing cub which is 84 in in 1/4 scale.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubpilot51 View Post
It is a clipped wing cub which is 84 in in 1/4 scale.
Nope. The Carbon Cub from Cubcrafters is not a clipped wing Cub. Real wingspan is 34.25 feet and length is 23.25 feet. 23

A clipped wing Cub has a span of 28.5 feet

The CZCC model is 84.6" in span and 55.8" in length. When you do the math, the wingspan of the model is a touch more than 1/5 scale and the length is right at 1/5 scale. If it was a 1/4 scale wing at that span, the fuse would have to be 70.5" long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:25 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Try Luke's RC

They will ship one I believe.

http://lukesrcplanes.com/

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

They don't have floats for it, those are still backordered.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:39 AM
Joined Nov 2013
7 Posts
OK, I'll try them. Thanks everyone
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,478 Posts
Geez, the guy just wants to get a plane . Do you really have to argue over a couple inches?

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Geez, the guy just wants to get a plane . Do you really have to argue over a couple inches?

Chuck
Worth trying to keep things accurate by preventing the flow of misinformation when possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:06 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
no, just you being a newbie and wanting to argue against size policies that were put in place decades ago. 1/4 scale starts at IMAC legal airframes. that means 80" single wing, 60" multi wing. from there you jump to 30/33/35% and so forth, but all collectively still 1/3 scale.
then again i have a Mr. Mulligan with a 10' wingspan from the 1970's that was designed and sold as 1/3 scale. ofcorse true scale even at 10' it's more than two feet short of being actually 33% of the full size plane in wingspan alone...

so stop being such a newbie. its a sizing & naming system. convention so that everyone knows what someone is talking about.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:40 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
1/4 scale starts at IMAC legal airframes. that means 80" single wing, 60" multi wing. from there you jump to 30/33/35% and so forth, but all collectively still 1/3 scale.
IMAC has no size requirements. The IMAA does have a minimum of 80" for a monoplane, 60" for a biplane OR true 1/4 scale. If 1/4 scale is less that 80/60 it still qualifies under IMAA. Ken Willard once flew a 1/4 scale Sky Baby at an IMAA event I was at. It was extremely small.

Back on topic: I'm looking forward to one of these in the Spring. Still can't decide if I want to bother with the AS3X receiver. I've been flying some stabilized stuff and while I see it has it's place, I'm not sure a Carbon Cub is it.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I saw the Horizon Hobby/EFlight 85.5" wingspan Carbon Cub fly at our field last Saturday. It's pretty big but can almost land like a helicopter at low speed and with the flaps full down. Looks like a great flying plane. I'd get one, but just am not into cubs at the moment; it's a bit pricey too at $400.00 BNF, especially for a foamie.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I saw the Horizon Hobby/EFlight 85.5" wingspan Carbon Cub fly at our field last Saturday. It's pretty big but can almost land like a helicopter at low speed and with the flaps full down. Looks like a great flying plane. I'd get one, but just am not into cubs at the moment; it's a bit pricey too at $400.00 BNF, especially for a foamie.
I always grin when someone calls it a $400 foamie. When it comes with an RX that goes for $100 and when the electronics are worth at least $250-275 in total, calling it a $400 foamie is misleading.

This is, to my knowledge, the largest non-sailplane foam ARF ever produced, wingspan wise. There have been a few multi engine warbirds in foam at round 80" and a big P-40 at around 80". This is a little bigger.

If you want to fly a model, especially a Cub, that qualifies as giant scale, this is one of the least expensive ways to get there, period.

I have said it before and it is still true: Not all foam aircraft are created equal. This is a 6cell model, powered by a 50 class outrunner, swinging a 15" prop, with a 7 foot wingspan. While the airframe is foam, it is clearly in a class by itself.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
no, just you being a newbie and wanting to argue against size policies that were put in place decades ago.....
The OP was simply mistaken. The idea that this Carbon Cub is 1/4 scale popped up several times in the large CC thread over in scale electric models. Simple math shows the truth and HH does not advertise this model as 1/4 scale or as 1/5 scale, or as a clipped wing Cub.

I don't think that the OP or Chuck was upset with the model size conventions as practiced by the IMAA and recognized by most RCers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2013
20 Posts
Bigger airplanes require more power.
captain obvious is offline Find More Posts by captain obvious
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)