SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Discussion
New encoder - Six-channel Reeds on 2.4ghz

I've done a new encoder for Reeds, I call this one the 'Tiny-6' as its only an inch square. Its heavily based on the existing full-house Reeds encoder software, written entirely in assembler, but uses a commercial SMT PCB. The big advantage of the commercial board is that I dont have to make the PCBs by hand, which was always a problem, and also these work out cheaper than the 12 channel encoder.

Features - the new 6 channel 'Tiny' is a true six-channel Reeds Emulation Encoder and has trims on all functions, servo reversing on all functions, servo slow on all functions with two speed options, and a single-handed range check mode. All the trim, reversing and transit speed configuration settings are saved to flash and therefore retained during power off. It runs happily of a small 2S lipo and will drive any of the Frsky, OrangeRx, etc RF modules - or even a Spektrum DM8. I used a Frsky DFT.

In flight tests I found the 'higher' transit speed a bit 'lively' for my overpowered Cub, the slower speed is much smoother to fly and is more typical of period reed servos which were characteristically slow. The slower of the two settings is the same transit speed as I use on my old Junior 60 and Kazmirski Tauri with the Remcon and Orbit-10 sets ( Youtube 38vrO1fxlJQ )
I've uploaded a very draft document to www.singlechannel.co.uk , its right at the bottom of the Archive page under the QR code.

6 Channel Reeds Emulation on 2.4ghz using 'Tiny' encoder (update) (7 min 17 sec)

Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Jan 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:24 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,876 Posts
Phil, very neat!

Wayne alerted me to this latest project. What I want to know is, do the servos "sing" like the tuned reed ones did?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
I've done a new encoder for Reeds, I call this one the 'Tiny' as its only an inch square. Its heavily based on the existing full-house Reeds encoder software, written entirely in assembler, and uses a commercial SMT PCB.

Features - the new 6 channel 'Tiny' is a true six-channel Reeds Emulation Encoder and has trims on all functions, servo reversing on all functions, servo slow on all functions with two speed options, and a single-handed range check mode. All the trim, reversing and transit speed configuration settings are saved to flash and therefore retained during power off. It runs happily of a small 2S lipo and will drive any of the Frsky, OrangeRx, etc RF modules - or even a Spektrum DM8. I used a Frsky DFT.

In flight tests I found the 'higher' transit speed a bit 'lively' for my overpowered Cub, the slower speed is much smoother to fly and is more typical of period reed servos which were characteristically slow. The slower of the two settings is the same transit speed as I use on my old Junior 60 and Kazmirski Tauri with the Orbit-10 set.
I've uploaded a very draft document to www.singlechannel.co.uk , its right at the bottom of the Archive page under the QR code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTypFi7Vigk

Cheers
Phil
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Hi John, yes it was a requirement of any competent reeds pilot that he should be able to play a recognisable rendition of 'God save the Queen' on the reeds toggles
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:44 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,876 Posts
Hmmm.. Some of the sets on your Phil and Shaun page are almost old enough to require competency in God Save the King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
Hi John, yes it was a requirement of any competent reeds pilot that he should be able to play a recognisable rendition of 'God save the Queen' on the reeds toggles
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Hmmm.. Some of the sets on your Phil and Shaun page are almost old enough to require competency in God Save the King.
Same tune!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
"My Country, 'Tis of Thee" is what was played over here on them.

Same tune

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:51 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
If anyone is interested in a "Tiny-6" Reeds Emulation Encoder either for a new build or to convert an old 6-channel Reeds set, I worked out some costs and I can do the encoder for 12 delivered anywhere. This is at cost and includes the pre-programmed and tested board, the switch resistors, the ready-made buzzer module, a ppm schottky-diode, optional header pins, and the first few will have a name plate sticker supplied as below. There is no profit, its all done for enjoyment and to help promote the Retro-R/C movement which is growing rapidly in the UK.

Rudder / elevator / throttle suits a lot of vintage and 'period' reed models such as the Junior 60, Tauri, Falcon 56 and the Veron Robot amongst many others. Having trim on all functions is a bonus - back in the day trim was only available on elevator and needed an additional 'progressive' servo which used up two of the six channels!
'Period’ sets suitable for conversion include the Orbit and F&M 6, RCS Inter 6, the Ariel 6, C&S 6, Raven 6, etc, as well as full-house sets with dummy keys for the higher channels!

The draft document is on the Archive page of www.singlechannel.co.uk

Please email if interested. I also have a limited number of 'Full-House reeds' encoders available.

Cheers
Phil philg@talk21.com www.singlechannel.co.uk

These pics & the video were sent in by users:

Mini Six reed emulation project (1 min 40 sec)

Here's how Doug reported his first day out with his 'Tiny-6':
Hi Guys,
As you would have seen elsewhere, I built last week one of Phil's latest modules - the Tiny-6 channel reed TX. I had built a 110% Blunderbird over Christmas specifically for reeds, using my 12 channel reed TX - again using one of Phil's modules ( for those not familiar with the Blunderbird, it is an all sheet single channel design which was a free plan in about 1970. It is a great flier and very sturdy)
Initial flights was with a MVVS 2cc diesel, but this was way too much, so was fitted with a 1cc PAW prior to this session
The model climbed away briskly - a touch of right and down trim and it was hands off. The trim set up on the tiny TX is so easy to use. The smaller TX fits into your hands a lot better and feels very comfortable to use. Flew the model as far away as was comfortable - no problems with range.
Another six flights followed, adjusting travel until I reached a happy compromise between manoeuvrability and smooth operation. I tried the two different servo speeds, but to be honest I didn't notice any difference between them, I struggle a bit with the throttle, blipping the switch as fast as I could resulted in about 3 usable positions. A bit of adjustment to the geometry improved things a bit.
I have a great little model and TX that I can take to the field with a can of fuel and a rag. If you are tempted to try reeds go for one of these. I used the cheapo guitar switches on my TX. I agreed with some of the concerns on here that they don't look very good quality, but so far they have worked faultlessly and have a great feel to them.
The TX battery took 104 milliamps after this session, my longest yet, shows how much flying I got in.
Sorry to ramble on so much but it was the best flying session I have had for years.
Doug
Last edited by phil_g; Jan 30, 2014 at 06:28 PM.