HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
Carmel, IN
Joined May 2003
14 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom 2 waypoint navigation possible? alternative?

I was debating between DJI phantom 2 or F550 build, then I saw on their webpage that Phantom 2 can do waypoint autonomous navigation upto 16 points. (seems I need a Bluetooth add-on module)

I thought…. in order to do waypoint flight in a component level DIY build, you need the WooKong-M Waypoint controller which costs well over $1000.

Is this correct? Is WooKong-M Waypoint controller only way to get waypoint capability (among DJI product lineup)?

May be I can ask for some recommendation.

I have Spektrum DX7 transmitter and GoPro3. I had these for a while.
I have extensive helicopter (Nitro and EP, aerobatics and 3D) experience.

FPV and Aerial Photography (trips and vacations etc) is what I want to do. I read that I should just start off with F550 hexacopter setup, instead of trying Phantom because I already have heli experience and transmitter. But then if I want to do Waypoint navigation, I have to buy the $1000+ controller. With phantom 2, it comes standard.

Do I have this right?
jasonsjwou is offline Find More Posts by jasonsjwou
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
15 Posts
I'm also interested in this answer. I am intrigued by this ground station type programming and from my reading so far I think I've interpreted the impending DJI release (January?) to only be for the Phantom 2 Vision due to it's 2.4GHz data uplink.
Doctorsti is offline Find More Posts by Doctorsti
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,344 Posts
Naza v2 supports waypoints as well with the Bluetooth ground station.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
365 Posts
When one say waypoint is supported, does it mean that one can upload a flight plan to it and it can execute without radio contact or does it merely mean that some tool can send commands to it and receive telemetry so it can follow the flight plan?

The 2nd scenario will have a more limited range while the first situation only needs radio contact to upload the flight plan.
snowstorm is offline Find More Posts by snowstorm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:22 PM
Carmel, IN
Joined May 2003
14 Posts
Ok. So there are TWO kinds of "waypoint" flying huh.

For Phantom2, I think they mean flying through waypoint without radio controller input. That's what I want.

Doesn't any multi rotor that has "Come back home" feature, basically has a capability to fly waypoint (even without radio contact) autonomously?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Aug 2012
192 Posts
For NAZA v2 to support waypoints, you need DJI 2.4GBT DataLink (IPAD GS +16WP) and DJI canhub optional.
It allows you to have a ground station on PC or IPAD supporting bluetooth v4 (ipad v3 and UP)
Cost ~200USD.
For Phantoms with Naza V1, you also need PMU V2.
mirceacul is offline Find More Posts by mirceacul
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:14 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsjwou View Post
Ok. So there are TWO kinds of "waypoint" flying huh.

For Phantom2, I think they mean flying through waypoint without radio controller input. That's what I want.

Doesn't any multi rotor that has "Come back home" feature, basically has a capability to fly waypoint (even without radio contact) autonomously?
According to the state diagram on p10 of the manual
http://download.dji-innovations.com/...al_v2.5_en.pdf

It looks like it requires continuous radio contact with the ground station to function. So if signal is lost, it will hover in place and then go home without completing the reset of the objectives. This is a little disappointing as one would think that the ground station would upload all the flight path to the vehicle and then it would just do it's thing whether it is in direct contract or not. Radio contact would be nice for telemetry and make changes, but one would technically think the vehicle would continue execution by itself.

As you have said, if it can RTH fail safe, then it should be able to at least auto fly to one waypoint. The air side unit can simply store more waypoints and monitor progress independent of the radio link from ground side.

Not sure why this limitation is there.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
I'm interested in this answer. I haven't seen any footage or reports of anyone flying the Phantom 2 (non-vision) using waypoint navigation. Yet, it seems that theoretically you can do it. Does anyone have confirmation of a successful flight?
DroneDream is offline Find More Posts by DroneDream
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:10 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneDream View Post
I'm interested in this answer. I haven't seen any footage or reports of anyone flying the Phantom 2 (non-vision) using waypoint navigation. Yet, it seems that theoretically you can do it. Does anyone have confirmation of a successful flight?
P2 won't work until firmware is updated. DJI haven't released that yet.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Snowstorm. The DJI website makes it seem like waypoints are ready for the P2 (http://www.dji.com/feature/phantom-2-feature/), while not mentioning waypoints for P2Vision. I suppose they're overselling...
DroneDream is offline Find More Posts by DroneDream
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:35 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneDream View Post
Thanks for clarifying Snowstorm. The DJI website makes it seem like waypoints are ready for the P2 (http://www.dji.com/feature/phantom-2-feature/), while not mentioning waypoints for P2Vision. I suppose they're overselling...
No, they said it was supposed to be ready by the end of January. That looks like it has come and gone.. Now we will have to wait until after their New Year, trust me I'm really looking forward to it also
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
hi there, i kept eyeing the thread for a while and i ended writing to DJI who let me know they are working on it, testing it and (go figure) it can take up to 2 more months...honestly shame on them for still leaving the mention in manual about jan....well, futaba kept delaying the telemetry support for the 16SG for almost 6 months...
dorin is offline Find More Posts by dorin
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:15 PM
Carmel, IN
Joined May 2003
14 Posts
Phantom 1.1.1, $399 @ B&H, with naza M V2

I've been hesitant with F550 (or F450) build, because of the size. I wanted to be able to go to places with relative ease. F550 is just way too big, and I've looked at other "folding" quads and hexas but they are all so-so.

And I just found out that DJI "updated" their original Phantom 1 (they call it v 1.1.1 now) which has great combination for what I want.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong -

The Updated V1.1.1 phantom 1 (B&H Photo sells for $399) comes with

- Better TX/RX for longer range.
- Naza M V2 controller - Better stability. Also, by adding the iPad GroundStation, 16 waypoint flight is possible.
- Self-tightening props (same as Phantom 2) for better balancing.
- Compatible w/ Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal - i.e. $85 Brushless Ebay Gimbal should work too.
- 50% Shorter flight time than Phantom 2, but cheap standard batteries can be used.

But then, Phantom FC40 ($499), which is basically V1.1.1 with FPV ready package including camera. Biggest thing I see there, is the TX/RX is on 5.8GHZ band, so if I attach GoPro, I can make it work with 2.4GHZ devices (like iPad iPhone etc).

Can I use the brushless gimbal on FC40? I'd assume so since it's running Naza M V2.