Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:39 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Discussion
Nitro Circus Basher SCT + Turnigy Trooper 4x4 1/10 Brushless & Nitro

Basher Nitro Circus 4x4 1/10 Scale Short Course Truck

New from Basher, the officially licenced Nitro Circus 4x4 Short Course Truck! Hit the dirt hard with Brushless 4-wheel drive power! The Basher Nitro Circus 4x4 1/10 Short Course Truck comes pre-assembled and will have you ready to roost the competition in no time! All you will need is your own receiver, transmitter and lipoly battery. Inspired by the crew over at the Nitro Circus, this 1/10th scale, grin inducing short course truck is built to handle everything you throw at it! Don’t think outside the box, SMASH through it while popping a wheelie and launching off a ramp!

The Basher Nitro Circus 4x4 SCT features a monster 3-cell capable brushless power system ready for your batteries and puts all that power down through a rugged 4WD drive transmission. Alloy shocks and heavy duty components allow this truck plow through the roughest of terrain and just keep on truck’n!

Features:
• Officially licensed by Nitro Circus
• Powerful 2080KV Brushless Inrunner Motor
• 35A ESC w/ Reverse pre-installed
• Adjustable camber, caster and shock mounting positions
• Full time 4WD
• Front/Center/Rear sealed differentials pre-installed
• Hardened steel pinion gear
• Heavy duty drive shafts
• Hardened metal drive cups
• Full ball bearings
• Alloy Chassis plate and top deck sections
• Adjustable screw shock absorbers
• Oil filled, big bore shock absorbers
• Soft compound tires for increased traction
• Pre-painted and trimmed body shell w/decal sheet included

Specs:
Motor Size: 3650 Brushless inrunner
Motor KV: 2080KV
ESC: 35A ESC(with Reverse)
Battery Compartment: (140x50x50mm MAX SIZE)
Servo: High-Torque Steering Servo
Traction: Full Time 4WD, Front/Rear and Center Differential
Length: 550mm
Width: 310mm
Height: 190mm
Ground Clearance: 28~42mm Adjustable

Links to buy or for more info:

Turnigy Trooper SCT 4x4 1/10 Brushless Short Course Truck

Features:
Adjustable camber, caster and shock mounting positions
Full-time 4WD system
Front/Center/Rear differential pre-installed
Low center of gravity chassis design
Pre-installed 35A brushless power system
Large Front/Rear bumpers
New softer compound tires for increased traction
Pre-painted and trimmed body shell w/decal sheet included

New features of the Trooper SCT 4x4:
Proper short course style racing wheels featuring a larger inner diameter for better handling
Softer compound tires than the original for increased traction
Newly designed, aggressively styled body shell

*Note: This truck now comes with an HXT 4mm installed on the ESC.

Spec.
Motor Size: 3650 Brushless inrunner
Motor KV: 2080KV
ESC: 35A ESC(with Reverse)
Battery: 2~3s 4000MAH LiPo (Required)
Battery compartment: (140x50x50mm MAX SIZE)
Servo: High-Torque Steering Servo
Traction: Full Time 4WD, Front/Rear and Center Differential
Width: 310mm
Ground Clearance: 28~42mm Adjustable

Turnigy Trooper SCT 4x4 1/10 Nitro Short Course Truck

The Nitro Trooper is still a fairly new release and there is not much in the way of reviews out there yet. I would really like to get my hands on the Nitro version one day, however I don't think it is something that I'll buy because I like the simplicity and therefore ease of use of electric RC cars (in particular a BL + LIPO combo). Also it should be noted that the body of the nitro seems to come painted in a darker yellow than the BL Trooper.

Features:
• Adjustable camber, caster and shock mounting positions
• Permanent 4WD system
• Front / center / rear differential pre-installed
• Low center of gravity chassis design
• Pre-installed powerful .18 Nitro engine with pull starter
• Pre-installed steering and throttle servos
• Large front / rear bumpers
• Soft compound tires for increased traction
• Pre-painted and trimmed body shell w/decal sheet included

Specs:
Engine Size: .18 Nitro
Servos: High-torque steering servo, high speed throttle servo
Traction: Permanent 4WD, front / rear and center differentials
Width: 290mm

Global Warehouse
Australian Warehouse
Europe Warehouse N/A
American Warehouse N/A
UK Warehouse N/A
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jul 04, 2014 at 03:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:21 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Wow the BL Trooper is looking like it is set to be a Christmas favourite as it is sold out globally except for the American Warehouse where there's just a handful of units left.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,379 Posts
Is the 35A system enough for such a big truck? I always thought SCT's needed a little extra "oompf" to get reallly going?

Btw, I understand why in your review you mention these things are huge. It's a bit misleading of the industry to call these still 1/10 scale, as these are almost closer to 1/8 scale buggies than to anything 1/10 scale. Sometimes SCT's are referenced to as being "1/9 scale", although that's not an official designation.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:30 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
I have my doubts about the 35a ESC. While it stayed cool with mostly full throttle dune bashing when I was racing in Autumn around Berlin, I doubt it will last long during an Australian heat wave. Also I only ever tried it on 2s, I think 3s would heat it up considerably, especially in summer.

Also it was lacking a bit of oomph on 2s. But it still had plenty enough of go to make it fun.

On the plus side you can get pretty cheap good ESCs from Hobby King. I should have a good selection linked up soon in the 'upgrades' section of this thread.

By the way what to you think about the subcategories opening in different tabs? Hindrance or a help?
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 19, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:14 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
By the way what to you think about the subcategories opening in different tabs? Hindrance or a help?

It was a bit "what the H...?" when I first clicked one, as you have no idea where you end up. But I think I could get used to it. It seems convenient to use your blog as source. On the other hand, if you want to comment on something, and quote a part, you need to beware that the message will not be posted in the main topic. It's a bit 50/50 for me as for like/dislike this construction.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
Argentina, BA, Gonnet
Joined Sep 2013
75 Posts
Hi!!!

Even in hot temperatures, the 35A ESC stay cool or a bit warm but always on 2S 4000mA. At the moment my only upgrade are the aluminium front shocks. I'm waiting for a new motor from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15195

Just for fun i'm working in a homemade fiberglass chassis. Is mi first try so isn't the most pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I have my doubts about the 35a ESC. While it stayed cool with mostly full throttle dune bashing when I was racing in Autumn around Berlin, I doubt it will last long during an Australian heat wave. Also I only ever tried it on 2s, I think 3s would heat it up considerably, especially in summer.

Also it was lacking a bit of oomph on 2s. But it still had plenty enough of go to make it fun.

On the plus side you can get pretty cheap good ESCs from Hobby King. I should have a good selection linked up soon in the 'upgrades' section of this thread.

DanielRC2 is offline Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:21 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
It was a bit "what the H...?" when I first clicked one, as you have no idea where you end up. But I think I could get used to it. It seems convenient to use your blog as source. On the other hand, if you want to comment on something, and quote a part, you need to beware that the message will not be posted in the main topic. It's a bit 50/50 for me as for like/dislike this construction.
I agree. It's nice to have everything broken down and separated but if someone posts question while on one of the other pages, it will not be seen by others on the main page unless you manually move it, if possible.

But, kudos to your effort so far. Looks a lot better than what I would have done
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,278 Posts
Now where did I put those screws?

I took it apart so I can do some mods and change out the oils. Here are some observations:

Pins that hold the upper and lower arms are secured on both sides using small c-clips. I better order some spares.

The diffs are not screwed in place like on the mini trooper. They are sandwiched on both sides by plastic brackets attached to the upper and lower control arms which are then screwed into the shock tower by 4 screws.

Lower part of the shocks are cap and ball design while the tops are screwed in. You have a choice of 6 holes. Cap on lower shock easily pried off the ball holding it in place.

Entire front can be removed w/o removing the servo saver. Bumpers are attached to the brackets holding the diffs and no longer attached to the bottom plate via screws like on the mini trooper.

Just like the mini trooper, it's very easy to take apart and fix when needed. Very nicely done HK!!!

UPDATE:

The shocks were only have filled with oil! Now with new 50w oil they are nice and strong.
The center spur gear is not attached to a clutch but a differential housing. Hardly any grease in it. There is an inner gear opposite the spur gear which attaches to a center axle. It had a huge bind in it. Maybe because there was hardly any grease! Cleaned it all up and letting parts dry before I rebuild with 30K diff oil.
Last edited by rcjose; Dec 20, 2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,008 Posts
Cool thread ValiantGLX. You got a nitro one too!? Let me know what you think of the nitro motor.

I got to drive mine for a couple minutes but it had problems. It seemed to lag bad, it wasn't very fast, then it totally started going crazy. A guy from the other trooper thread told me right away the problem was my esc, so I tried the same esc in my Mini Trooper and the same problem happened. Hobbyking wants to send me a 30A HK esc replacement for the 35A that was in the Trooper... they sent me an email saying "we consider this issue resolved", with a message saying that a 30A will ship out soon... the same HK 30A esc that went out on my Mini Trooper, which I also sent back to them. So I guess I'll have a couple HK 30A escs, but nothing to run my Trooper on.

I was thinking about the 60A Turnigy Trackstar (sensorless) for $27. I would go bigger, but I don't see myself going crazy with this truck.

Also I took my Trooper apart completely, and found that a differential spacer was missing out of my front diff. So now I have to order a differential before I can drive my it anyway, not that I have an ESC anyway. I'd have to agree with rcjose above, that this truck is very easy to work on and take apart.

Anyway, my bad luck again Valiant! I must have got a return or refurbish.

But I did like the feel of the big Trooper. And it actually holds it's street traction pretty good even without swaybars. I think I'm going to like this truck once I get everything squared away.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Dec 21, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,008 Posts
rcjose, you're going to use 30K in both diffs? I thought I might as well do everything while it's apart. I too noticed everything was pretty dry inside the diffs, there was grease but none actually on any of the gears.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
rcjose, you're going to use 30K in both diffs? I thought I might as well do everything while it's apart. I too noticed everything was pretty dry inside the diffs, there was grease but none actually on any of the gears.
Yes, I put 30,000 on both the front and center diffs and 50,000 on the back. I did a few tests today on 3S 3300mah LIPO and it flies. My son just loves doing donuts, spins and skids. All went super great until he ran over a puddle twice. The ESC and RX are acting funny so I have them in a bowl of white rice to see if I can take out all the moisture.

If no good, then will either buy two of the larger 100A ESC's (overkill) and waterproof them with plasti dip or just buy an already waterproof ESC.

You might be able to find a replacement rubber washer for the diff at a hardware store..
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Yes, I put 30,000 on both the front and center diffs and 50,000 on the back. I did a few tests today on 3S 3300mah LIPO and it flies. My son just loves doing donuts, spins and skids. All went super great until he ran over a puddle twice. The ESC and RX are acting funny so I have them in a bowl of white rice to see if I can take out all the moisture.

If no good, then will either buy two of the larger 100A ESC's (overkill) and waterproof them with plasti dip or just buy an already waterproof ESC.

You might be able to find a replacement rubber washer for the diff at a hardware store..
Let me know how those oil weights work out for you, I have a couple weeks before my esc & spares come in. I went ahead with the 60A trackstar sensorless $27, we'll see how it all works out.

As far as the diff part, I thought of rigging something up too but I might as well wait for the new diff to come in because I don't have an esc anyway. I'm not going to try the 30A replacement they're sending, too small.

I'm not completely confident in HK ESCs... otherwise a 100-120A would be nice for $40.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Let me know how those oil weights work out for you, I have a couple weeks before my esc & spares come in. I went ahead with the 60A trackstar sensorless $27, we'll see how it all works out.

As far as the diff part, I thought of rigging something up too but I might as well wait for the new diff to come in because I don't have an esc anyway. I'm not going to try the 30A replacement they're sending, too small.

I'm not completely confident in HK ESCs... otherwise a 100-120A would be nice for $40.
So far so good with the diff oil. There is a big difference in using the new shock oil. As is the shocks did not even come half filled and had plenty of air bubbles.

I may just get a hobbywing esc if the other one doesn't recover from the swim.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
So far so good with the diff oil. There is a big difference in using the new shock oil. As is the shocks did not even come half filled and had plenty of air bubbles.

I may just get a hobbywing esc if the other one doesn't recover from the swim.
I've heard a lot of good things about hobbywing escs.

In dealing with helis, I noticed that the Turnigy, Exceed, & Hobbywing ESCs all used the same program card and were all very similar in appearance (at least at that tier of product). They might be all the same or certain Turnigys are knock offs of certain Hobbywing products.