HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Discussion
Next Kit?

Hello All,

Seeking my next kit. I'm a novice builder with two Steven's Aero kits under my belt (Buzz 100 & SHAFT 400). I was going to build a Daddy-O 525, and I probably still will, but I'm looking for something a little bigger. I really like the look of both the Hangar 9 Toledo Special and the Sig Rascal 72. But what I don't like is that they are ARFs. Don't get me wrong, I taught myself how to fly with a UM T-28 and stepped up to the larger one, but now that I've built two of my own, I can't stand the thought of showing up at the field with something that somebody else built.

So I'm looking for options. I'd like a wingspan in the 65" to 80" range, high wing and tail dragger. It will be electric. If the Rascal 72 or the Toledo were kitted I'd buy one in a heartbeat so that's the look I'm after. No scale jobs, It may sound odd but I'm on this kick where I want my toys to look like toys. I guess that's why I like the old free flight designs.

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
highnpressurized is offline Find More Posts by highnpressurized
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2013, 02:27 AM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,488 Posts
Here you go; http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/426.htm . The Balsa USA Student Trainer is right up your alley for a first large build that has that "old timer sportster" look.

The only things I see is that you'd have add a battery mount if you want to electric. Also, the pics look funky with the tricycle gear but I read somewhere that the kit has the option to make it a tail dragger.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll do some research on that one. If it can go tail wheel it's a contender. I see your in San Diego and work with UAS. I was based at NAS North Island for three years when I was flying for the DoD. I also recently spent a few days at NASA Langley test flying HUDs with synthetic vision and EFVS. After the last day of testing they let me check out their UAS simulator and their hangar. In the back corner there was a workshop filled with RC airplanes used for training, test beds and such. Saw some cool stuff. They let me take pics so maybe not as cool as the stuff you fly. But somebody there is getting paid to build and fly toy airplanes......cool!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
People seem to ask this question regularly. I have a hard time with these types of questions, as the list of airplanes I want to build, is longer than the life time I have left.

You have done a great job of thinking out what it is your after. Many folks asking this question think we can read their minds I guess, as they simply ask "What should I build"?

Sig makes some great kits. I'm surprised a Rascal in kit form. The do have a 4 Star 120 with a 81 inch wing span and the famous Astro Hog with a 71 " wing span: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...L+Sig+bixm3753

While at SIG, you could also look at their Cadet series.

Hobby Lobby has their Telemaster kits, most have 73 inch wing spans or larger:http://www.hobbyexpress.com/balsa_rc_airplane_kits_213_ctg.htm[/url]

You could also look at Tower Hobbies:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-a.html

The above are places I like to visit to see what's available. There are many newer manufacturers and/or manufacturers that I'm unaware of; or, just don't pay attention too, that others can steer you towards.

The fact that you have eliminated Scale, is limiting; but, certainly your choice. Good luck, have fun!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 18, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:24 AM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
162 Posts
You could also consider the Alien Aircraft FunMaster 72: http://www.alienaircraft.com/.
aymodeler is offline Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Hobby Lobby has their Telemaster kits, most have 73 inch wing spans or larger:http://www.hobbyexpress.com/balsa_rc_airplane_kits_213_ctg.htm[/url]
+1 on the Telemaster suggestion. Both the 40 and the Senior versions would seem to fit your description well. One nice thing on the 40 size is that they offer two different kits: a more traditional "balsa stick built" version which is more labor intensive but lighter. Or a largely ply version that is quicker to build but heavier. So you can decide how much building you want to do. The only common knock I hear on the Telemasters is that the instructions are lacking in detail for less experienced builders. Sounds like that would not be a problem for you.
Yoda466 is online now Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Guys, Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been looking for a build thread on the BUSA Student Trainer. I can't tell from the lousy pictures if I'll like the looks, specifically the nose.

I check the SIG website on a regular basis, looking for new kits. They've had a bunch of new ARFs but no new kits. I like the Skywalker but not for this build.

The Telemaster 40 looks promising. It's lacking in the old timer looks though. If I rounded the tail feathers and wing tips and was able to come up with a streamlined cowl I think it would look very much like I what I want. For some of you experienced builders a light bash like that might not be a big deal but I'm not certain if I've got the skills to do that yet. I also like the option to build it lighter, especially for electric.

The FunMaster 72's lines are a little too square. I don't think I can get it to look the way I want.

As you can tell aesthetics are important to me in this build. It's not just my first larger build, it will be an airplane I keep for a very long time and likely my last build for a couple of years as I've got a 4 year old boy and a little girl due in March. Time will be in short supply! So it really needs to hit me the right way because I wont have the time to build, fly and move on to the next kit.

Regardless, thank you all for the help, you've shown me a few kits that I hadn't considered.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I guess I didn't catch that you liked the old free flight type airplanes. They look like beautiful sculptures to me and not toys. Suggest you visit this website: http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...rs/vendors.htm
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I guess I didn't catch that you liked the old free flight type airplanes. They look like beautiful sculptures to me and not toys. Suggest you visit this website: http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...rs/vendors.htm
I'll check that site out, thank you for the link. I agree with the sculpture statement, that's why I'm so drawn to them. I'm drawn to craftsmanship in general, but mostly the type where form and function find a place where they meet with little or no compromise. I call them toys merely because that's how I encountered them as a child. "Toy" airplanes that I would build and fly at the farm. Thanks again for the help.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnpressurized View Post
No scale jobs, It may sound odd but I'm on this kick where I want my toys to look like toys. I guess that's why I like the old free flight designs.
I know this is not offering the specific feedback that you are looking for, but I was really struck by the above comment because I feel exactly the same way. I really like model airplanes. And I really like full size airplanes. But to me they are different. And I agree with you that while it probably sounds odd to many people, I find something unsatisfying about a model that looks like a full size plane. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with folks that are into that. And I admire and appreciate the detail and workmanship that goes into an accurate scale model. I just don't think I will ever want one. Like you, I think my next plane will also be an old timer. Largely because I prefer model planes that look like model planes. To each his own. That is one of the beauties of this hobby.
Yoda466 is online now Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Pretty much sums it up Yoda.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:28 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,498 Posts
Bob Holman makes some nice partial kits. I've built a few and they are always spot on. He supplies all the ribs and curved pieces, you supply the strip wood. Might be worth a look at the the old time gas section.

http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg1.html
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,394 Posts
Mountain models.com bogie 72" sounds like what you are looking for.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,394 Posts
Looks like Sig makes a 49" rascal kit. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...L+Sig+bixm3753
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Dec 25, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Looks like Sig makes a 49" rascal kit. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...L+Sig+bixm3753
Jim, I'm looking for a four channel sport plane like the Toledo or Rascal, and I would like it to be 65 inches or bigger. The rascal kit is three channels. I should have specified that in the original post. But thanks so much for the suggestions!

Also, since I'm here I might as well post an update. My wife knew I was looking for a kit that resembled the aforementioned airplanes and wanted to get me one for Christmas. She couldn't find one so she just bought me the Toledo Special ARF instead. Surprised the heck out of me since she knows I wanted a kit. Her reasoning was that it took me a year to finish the last kit with my work and family obligations, and with baby number two on the way it's not going to get any easier. So, she wanted me to have something to fly while I find and build exactly what I want. On that note I've been browsing plans in the old timer sub forum and I think I'm going to have to venture in to the world of scratch building to get just what I want.

Merry Christmas All!!