SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2004, 05:09 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Thank you. I think that might have pushed me over the edge. You were using the 1320 TP packs were you not? What kind of flight times were you getting?
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2004, 05:14 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
Mine's with a GWS 350 ( practically same a s Speed 300). Flies just fine. Not as fast as the brushless, but no trouble to fly at all. I use heavy 8 cell 720 NiMHs,... someday I'll get Lipos.

Fred G.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqj1/index.html
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2004, 05:21 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Thanks Blaze. Between you and Sarge, my mind is made up. I can get the GWS 350s pretty cheap at my LHS so I will get a few while I am at it. I have planes that are designed for speed, so a fast Corsair is not entirely needed. I am looking for a scaler flight.

I think Mr. Lin is going to be mad at you Alfa guys... You are stealing his business.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 06:02 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
trikster

what is your favorite hobby shop? the bitty one in Rocklin, airborne hobbies, Auburn Hobbies, or RC country? seems to me alot of them are overpriced compaired to mail order. RC country does sometimes have decent prices. they also stock hobby lobby stuff for Hobby lobby prices have you seen the corsair there yet? I havn't been there in months. might be able to get the corsair for no shipping but with tax. may even out in the end.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Mar 05, 2004, 06:02 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Trikster,
Actually the competition and the higher quality products becoming available should create a better market for the consumer (us). look waht has happened in the Brushless motor and Lipoly battery departments in just the last year. The GWS TM400 I just built is ther best quality product so far and much better than my first GWS kit. Hope the companies like Alfa keep raising the bar and keep the products coming!!
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Mar 05, 2004, 06:30 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I don't think that GWS and Alfa are in direct competition. Two different products altogether. Both do a tremendous job of meeting their respective customers needs. GWS has done us all a service by providing affordable planes that will actually fly. Alfa has done us a service by providing the most complete (in terms of flyability) ARF made.

I fly both a Etec 1200 and a TP 1320, both 2 cell in the speed 300 Corsair. I fly a Tanic 1500 2s in the MPJet equiped P-47. The TP 1320 works well in both engines, and would serve you well to bridge the spce between Brushed and Brushless.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 05, 2004, 06:50 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
I usually shop at R/C Country as I go to CSUS and Country is a mile away. They stock the Alfas for the Hobby-Lobby price. Shipping from HL and CA sales tax on that item is a wash. I do not shop at Airborne Hobbies unless I need glue or a piece of balsa. They are severely overpriced and their staff leaves a lot to be desired. I sometimes go to Auburn Hobbies, but that is quite a drive for me. I usually only stop in if I am up that way.

My dilema still stands, either the GWS TM400 or the Alfa Corsair. I cannot get both and my cost out the door for either plane is about the same (once I add in the support gear to get either flying). I am leaning towards the Corsair as I have never owned a warbird and the looks of the plane are outstanding. BTW, has anyone fitted a pilots bust in the cockpit yet?
Old Mar 05, 2004, 07:16 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Trikster,
I don't have the pic in my computer anymore as my harddrive crashed a couple of weeks ago and I did not have my plane pics backed up. I did fashion a cockpit out of a black styro meat tray and glued into position and then attached the WW2 pilot that HL sells. I posted pics in a post and you should be able to find them with a search. It looks pretty cool and a worthwhile mod.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Mar 05, 2004, 07:20 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Trikster

good stuff. I will try to come by the park but I have alot of stuff going on tomorrow. I may have to pick another date you guys are flying. I usually fly by myself. I havn't met any other park flyers in my area. there is the redbarrons close to me so most people go there but I dont want to join a gas club to meet park flyers.

drop me an email some time. or visa versa
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Mar 05, 2004, 07:28 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Trikster,
Found the pages with the pics. They are actually in the first segment that was started on this thread. Here are the links,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=4

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=6

HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Mar 05, 2004, 07:35 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Looks good! What "Clear" did you coat yours with? Which prop nut is that?
Old Mar 05, 2004, 07:58 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trikster
I have planes that are designed for speed, so a fast Corsair is not entirely needed. I am looking for a scaler flight.
Exactly,... and the Speed 300 or GWS 350 will fly that Corsair very realisticly. It still loops, rolls, and climbs just fine. And using Lipos, weight goes down, performance goes up.

Fred G.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2004, 08:10 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
speed 300 6v on 2s1p flies very nice indeed.
when I flew/fly stock, I use an 8 cell for a little more penetration in the wind.NEVER exceeding alfas max weight for the given model...
Options are nice..

sf
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Mar 05, 2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 08:35 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Trikster,
I used the Testors Clear Cote-Gloss finish. You can aslo get it in the dull finish as well. It helps to harden and protect the frail slide-on decals. The prop nut is the stock setup that comes with the plane. If you use the 3-blade prop you will need the "long" style collet prop adapter though.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Mar 08, 2004, 03:30 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,410 Posts
I finished my F4U this weekend and am really excited to get her in the air. I ended up using an AXI2208/26 motor (what a jewel) with 2 1200 Etech Lipolys. Total weight is 11.9 ounces with an 8x6 APC slow flyer prop. Wing loading is a respectable 9.2 ounces per square foot. What a nice kit. I did give mine an airbrushing with Modelmasters flat clear acrylic to tone down the sheen. Looks bitchin!

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily