HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2004, 02:01 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Understood,
I got to fly a genuine AT-6 Texan on Tuesday...(as the front seater of course)

but I haven't come down since....

now I have to get a Texan..Damn this hobby ..
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2004, 09:06 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
SF

Flying in an SNJ/AT-6 is a hoot. Me in front over Geneseo, New York.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 05, 2004, 09:58 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
SWeet !!!

I'll never forget it,
wish I could find one in the USMC scheme

Great pic !
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Mar 05, 2004, 10:59 AM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
wow I want one of these corsairs. I have been taking a brake on planes trying to get my jeep done. finaly it is done and I need a plane to match its erra.

whatcha think this pict is 2 days out of the garage after 2 years disasembled and restored. it is a 1942 Ford GPW. No Willys parts here.

sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:37 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
sinkinpat,
Very nice, the Alfa corsair would be a good match for that era and you will have to post a pic of the Jeep with the Alfa Corsair displayed on the hood. You will Love this plane and best of all it won't be nearly as much work to make flyable.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Thanks for the compliment I put alot of hours in it ans alot of mula.
now It is just fun to drive around. now some alfa setup questions.

this is what I have planed. and am getting my order ready.

JP 25/25/26 Brushless
Jes 18 speedcontrol
APC 9x6 prop
2s 1500 Li battery

I plan on buying a new radio as well probably the Hiteck with the feather reciever and HS 55 servos.

here is the kicker I really want to use the FSK 3 blade 9X7. for scale reasons and for pictures I have some plans of having it buzzing my jeep for pictures. but the frozen 2 blade wont cut it in a picture.

thanks.

any help setting up this plane is appreciated. as I stated before I have been out of the hobby for about a year and there have been alot of advances in techology and prices for that tech since then. this will be my first brushless and my first li ion battery.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:58 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
sinkinpat, glad to see your back. If you still have any planes and want to go flying, myself and a few other guys are getting together tomorrow at Maidu park in Roseville at 8 am. From what I can see, your planed setup is just about the same as what I am thinking about.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Mar 05, 2004, 12:20 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
sinkinpat,
The setup you plane to use is excellant and should be more than able. I assume you already have a Lipoly charger as well, if not you will need one. As far as the HL 9x7 3-blade, I would not use it on the MP25/25 and a 2s Lipoly pack as it pulls to many amps and performance will suffer. I do use it on my Corsair but I have upgraded to the MP 25/35 and use TP2100 3's packs. You could use any other 1200 or more 3s packs as well. The plane has really incredible performance with this setup and is capable of out of scale performance. I have been getting about 20-30 minutes with alot of throttle with this setup and the extra weight has not been a problem. She still has an AUW of less than 16oz. If you go with the MP25/25 the APC 9x6 E or SF prop is the best performer.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Mar 05, 2004, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Tahoe. great advice that is what I needed.

I really want that 3 blade. if I have to upgrade to the 25/35 so be it. also I will bump up to the 3s battery.

the extra cost for the 3 blade will be worth it to me just for the photo's I want to take with the 3 blade.

with the 25/35 can I run a 9x6 2 blade on a 2s 1500?

or will I always be stuck with the 3 blade? and the larger battery?

I have a triton charger that I got a year or so ago so I am all set for charging I think.

out of scale? woah so if I throttle back will it be back in scale or does it need the speed to lift the extra weight?
Old Mar 05, 2004, 01:30 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
sinkinpat,
It will still fly fine on a SF or E 9x6 prop. It wont have the overpowering thrust as it will with the 3-blade. It will be more scale like in perfromance but faster than the MP25/25. It will also require much less throttle and should give you longer flight times than the MP25/25 but require more throttle and probably lesser flight times with the MP25/35, depending of coarse on throttle management. Overall the perfromance #'s will be up about 50% across the board with the 9x6 prop and the MP25/25 2s vs MP25/35 3s. The thrust #'s increase dramatically with the 3-blade but the amp draw aslo increases. At WOT the amp draw will be up around 14-16 which the TP 2100 3's packs can handle. Just make sure the packs you use with the 3-blade can handle that kind of amp draw. I also fly in thinner air than you so my amp draws are less at this altitude with the same setups. Hope this info is not more confusing for you.
HAPPY FLYING!!!

P.S. If you go with the MP25/35 you will need to use a 3's pack to get the proper performance.
Last edited by tahoecrest; Mar 05, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Tahoe, are you using a hard or soft brake with the 3 blade? Any problems with a blade catching on landing?
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:05 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Strange but true:

I ordered a replacement P-47 hatch from HL. I was showing off my incredible flying skills for my dad. I was inverted (almost 2 seconds worth that time) over the trees, when the hatch jetisoned. My theory is that the tiny pilot, having flown with me before, decided to committ suicide. Never found the hatch, and my dad was underwhelmed by my skills.
HL is normally so good at getting orders out, that after ten days of no email notice, I got a little impatient. Called HL, and sure enough, the order was lost. The gentleman on the phone personally went and got a hatch, had it boxed and shipped, then called me back to let me know it was done. Also didn't charge me for the shipping. Today, I got the first hatch in the mail, so now I have two of them. Didn't charge me shipping on the first (second) one either. Called them, and they said to ship it back (my expense), and they would credit my account. Hell, I got two hatches (which is just about the right number for an Alfa) for 16.00. It would cost me most of the credit to ship it back. Think I'll keep it.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:22 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Sarge,
No I do not have the brake set on the Phoenix 25. The HL 9x7
3-blade is a pretty soft prop and has given on landings and not stuck like a dart like the MA 3-bladed props I tested. It is the only 3-bladed prop I am comfortable with for belly landings and I tested several. If you are good enough pilot to bring them in and set/flop the planes down softly you can use the Vario or MA 3 bladed props. I'm not that comfortable and after flipping the plane a couple of times when the stiffer props stuck I decided it wasn't worth the damage factor and have settled in with the HL prop.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:49 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
OK, I know most folks here use brushless setups on the COrsair, but does anyone use a regular brushed motor? The reason I ask is that I have all the equipment for the brushed setup and my LHS has been out of the MP Jets for a while now...

I have a Jeti JES 110 ESC which is what hobby lobby recommends with their brushed setups. Thoughts on a brushed setup? I would still be using 2s1p Lipoly packs...
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:59 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Mine has gone back to a Speed 300, 2s Lipo, MPJet 5:1 GB, GWS ICS 300, 2 Picos. Still a great flyer. Only reason I went BL to start with (besides being an American male - never satisfied with good enough) was I burned up two speed 300s. She flies better stock than any other foam plane I've ever seen.