HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 02, 2004, 12:17 PM
JimThorpe, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2003
404 Posts
Received my Smooth-E today, WOW!!!! that was fast. Thanks Doug & Matthew.

Before I start,

I have some e-kote will that be ok for the plane or will it be to heavy???

To join the wing parts, Elmer's Probond or epoxy???

18g sub micro or 9g micro for servo's???

Brian.
bigbear3721 is offline Find More Posts by bigbear3721
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2004, 12:20 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Brian,

Probond is great stuff. If you have it, use it. e-kote will work.

Either servo. Saving weight is good. Just choose a servo that is reliable.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:02 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2003
13 Posts
I just taped my wing last night, and I think it went OK. There are some wrinkles, but nothing too awful and you only notice them up close anyway.

The trickiest part was taping around the rounded part between leading edge and the wing tip. Last night I was pretty pleased with the job I did, but this morning the tape had popped up.

What are other people doing in this area? Using a little tape strip to hold wayward corners down? CAing them down? Maybe there's some other tape trick I'm not aware of...

- Brian.
BriWill is offline Find More Posts by BriWill
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
73 Posts
I used 3M 77 adhesive and had no probs.

Tom
tasandkrs is offline Find More Posts by tasandkrs
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:39 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
You must've had some of the pre-acetone-based 3M77.....

I didn't round the wingtips, which made it easier. Also, you CAN shrink the tape with a covering iron - in fact it will shrink surprisingly well if you're patient. BUT - the difference in temperature between "tape shrinks well" and "wing core MELTS" is not great. You can guess how I know .
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2003
73 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEC
[B]You must've had some of the pre-acetone-based 3M77.....

Not sure, but it worked. It was in a black can, had it for about 3.5 years. Worked perfectly.

Tom
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:43 PM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
look a couple pages back -- I used colored electrical tape along the edges -- it holds a bit better.
dstrout is offline Find More Posts by dstrout
Old Apr 02, 2004, 02:48 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to better seat the aileron servo? It is just a bit wiggly.

I must have taken too much foam during surgery!

Thanks, Dr. Killd-aire
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2004, 03:01 PM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
wobbly servo...

I used a few drops of "foam-safe" CA but any silicone adhesive would also work to secure the servo. If you wanted it to NEVER move, you could always shoot a little Pro-Bond along the side...
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
Old Apr 02, 2004, 03:07 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2003
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tasandkrs
I used 3M 77 adhesive and had no probs.

Tom
I used some 3M 77 adhesive as well, and NEW stuff at that. After researching the topic here on EZone, some people say you can use the new stuff if you're careful, spray from a distance (2-3 feet), and LIGHTLY mist. They say this helps the Acetone evaporate before it eats any foam.

I don't know about that, but I did my own tests on a foam cooler. Light misting didn't seem to eat any foam, and made things pretty sticky. A heavy spray did eat some foam, but not a lot. It seemed to take a puddle of 3M77 before noticeable damage occurred. But your mileage may vary, and anybody who doesn't test first is asking for trouble.

Anyway, the tape stuck well to foam with the 3M 77. However, I was having a problem with tape sticking to overlapped tape. Especially where I had to gather the "slack" in the tape to fit the contours of the wing, but the slack got in the way of the tape adhesive.

Maybe I'll try the electrical tape...
BriWill is offline Find More Posts by BriWill
Old Apr 02, 2004, 03:17 PM
Joined Nov 2003
73 Posts
I lightly misted it. Didn't notice, or even knew that could happen. Just followed the directions in the instructions. Luckily for me nothing happened.

Tom
Old Apr 03, 2004, 01:30 AM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Something to consider, it's good to wash you hands before you begin taping. And know that your surfaces are clean, don't ask me why I know this. Heat, within moderation can be your friend. I say that cause if you melt a wing, you might pay us to buy another! Just kidding.
The Evil Twin.
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Apr 03, 2004, 07:21 PM
Joined Nov 2003
404 Posts
OK,

I just finished sanding all my skin of my smooth-e and now I'm picking the CA glue of my fingers.

Question:

When installing the servos the servo wire is in the way when putting the servo in the cut out. What is everyone else doing for this??????
Old Apr 03, 2004, 07:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
404 Posts
skin sanded off.
Old Apr 03, 2004, 09:30 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
You should be able to drop the wire in first then rotate the servo into place. You may need to open the hole just a touch.

If needed, you can use the two ply parts to support the servos once the hole is opened.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Closed Thread