HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RCGroups RC Car Quick Tips –Scale Accessory Using a Servo Box

An easy and cheap way to dress-up your scale ride.

Splash

Repurposing the plastic box that servos come in as a simple scale accessory!

Here is a quick and very affordable tip for creating an accessory for your scale truck and chances are you have the items needed to do it.

I built a scale trail truck with a big roof rack and needed to fill it to complete the overall expedition look of the truck. While digging around in my workshop, I came across some plastic cases that servos are packaged in. Specifically Futaba servo cases, which are made of a hard Lucite-like clear plastic. I also had some leftover black Tamiya spray paint, from a recent truck body I painted, and used it to transform the servo box into a scale accessory. By painting the outside of the case, the paint ended up with a matte finish once it dried and made it look the part.

Since the servo case is very light, it won’t be an issue of making the vehicle top heavy. I decided to glue the case closed and ran CA where the top and bottom halves of the case meet. I then mounted it on the roof rack using servo tape.

Another option is to not glue the case closed and use it for storage of spare chassis parts, hardware, pinion gears, etc.

Discussion

Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:38 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,418 Posts
That looks like an IH Scout to me. I learned to drive in an 68 Scout and my first car was a 78 Scout - good stuff!
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
I have to agree. The actual body I used is a Pro-Line Ambush and very closely resembles a full-size Scout. By using a different name and changing some of the body lines, RC companies can sidestep very costly licensing.

I think the Scout is a pretty cool truck and had this body painted to look like a production Scout from back in the day.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Adamstown, MD
Joined Jan 2009
105 Posts
Hey proline! If youre listening please Re-issue the ambush, ramchager, axial Betty, and how about a suzuki samurai? The crew cab powerwagon was cool too.

Thanks.
Potter is offline Find More Posts by Potter
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:04 PM
Gecko Guy
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
Hey proline! If youre listening please Re-issue the ambush, ramchager, axial Betty, and how about a suzuki samurai? The crew cab powerwagon was cool too.

Thanks.
all those and a bughatti veyron for onroad use.
Mr. Slender Man is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Slender Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mr. Slender Man (Gecko Guy)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post

Thanks.
I want the PowerWagon back and the Ambush from Pro-Line!
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Mar 08, 2014, 06:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,648 Posts
Tamiya already makes a scale Samurai body for the Jimmy. It is short looking however, don't know how it would look on a typical scale chassis.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72