HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2013, 07:50 PM
wuzhirui
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Help!
VTOL [Dualcopter + Airplane]

Hi! Am a newbie in the RC area and in need of professionals to help me with this..
I am currently building a craft that uses the dual motor rotor to fly.
My craft is a box design and it has 8 vanes for its control surfaces.

I am using a KK Plus 5.5d board for the configuration of the vanes and the motor.

My question is: Can I configure it to have both the Airplane and Dual-copter firmware?
I understand they are firmwares by itself but is the program customizable to cater to both my vanes and motor?

P.S Really need quick answers. Would really appreciate your help! >_<
wuzhirui is offline Find More Posts by wuzhirui
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,109 Posts
Hi. Not a professional but I don't think the KK can do that.

Split the signal wire from your roll and yaw servos to the KK and the receiver. Then use switches to connect and disconnect the correct signal lines at the correct time.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:45 PM
wuzhirui
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
How do you go about doing that?? I'm not sure how to use switches... But for now I am going to try to use Openaero firmware to try to get the control surfaces working.. I can connect the motors straight to the receiver instead. If that doesn't work I will definitely try with the switches!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,109 Posts
Doing it in software would be the best solution. If that doesn't work out then we can dive into the cruder switches method.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
869 Posts
wuzhirui,

Tell us more about why you are doing this. As a newbie in the RC area you are taking on a lot of complexity. Is this for fun, part of an educational project, etc.? What is the mission requirement for the aircraft? Why do you need answers fast?
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:59 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,957 Posts
I actually released a ball-drone version of the old OpenAero software for the old KK board that is pretty much identical to your requirements. However the old KK is way out of its league now.
You can possibly do what you need with OpenAero2 and a KK2 board, but you'd be on your own regarding setup of it. As Ran suggests, it would take a lot of study and understanding to make this into reality.
HappySundays is online now Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
wuzhirui
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Ran D,
So sorry for the late reply. I am currently continuing the development of this craft as per my lecturer's request. He wants to enter this craft's concept into one of the local multirotor competitions. It is graded in my school project, so I have to try my best to make it work somehow. However, I need answers fast because there's not much time left before the competition and my lecturer wants me to have it up and running asap.
Given that I am totally new to this, I was hoping the concept of a dualcopter + airplane firmware would do good, but when I got to testing with the KK2 board, the firmware were individuals and I can't seem to figure out a way to configure either of it..

Happy Sundays, I have switched to the KK2 board, but I have yet to try it out with the OpenAero software. Not sure how to use the software still, but I will try to use it to configure the board asap! Hopefully it will open up a window as to configuring it..

If all else fails, I will most likely switch the dual-motor rotor to a single one, and configure it with the airplane firmware.. :/
Old Jan 01, 2014, 07:29 PM
wuzhirui
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Hi all! I have found my solution: FY-20A Stabilizer! Didn't need the KK board to configure my vanes actually, so I ditched that and used the plain stabilizer, with a couple of Y-jumpers for my servo. Now my craft is up and running! ))