HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2004, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3 Posts
i need help in flying my new multiplex easystar

well i have just bought a new easystar now i am currently flying a glow plane but decided to go electric cause there is a small field beside me now i went down with my plane in breezey weather just ok i tought launched it full throtle and started to make some alltitude when all of a sudden at about 20 ft off the ground it stalled and came down now i am sure it is something silly im doing wrong that i hope yous might be able to help me with. thanks jay
jay220 is offline Find More Posts by jay220
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2004, 02:03 PM
Electric forever,
Malaga, Spain
Joined Sep 2003
253 Posts
Yes... too little airspeed to stay airborn?
Sorry mate but without more info we are powerless to help you.
twinstarchris is offline Find More Posts by twinstarchris
Old Mar 03, 2004, 02:09 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Is the prop on the wrong way? It has to be in pusher configuration (say: rotated 180 degrees)
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:42 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay220
well i have just bought a new easystar now i am currently flying a glow plane but decided to go electric cause there is a small field beside me now i went down with my plane in breezey weather just ok i tought launched it full throtle and started to make some alltitude when all of a sudden at about 20 ft off the ground it stalled and came down now i am sure it is something silly im doing wrong that i hope yous might be able to help me with. thanks jay
You gave it too much up it doesn`t climb like a glo plane it is much slower,but it gets up prety high
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:32 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Well, it sounds like you had insufficient air speed (or more specifically, too high of an angle of attack) to maintain flight. You could get too high of an angle of attack by either holding its nose up too high to climb (try a shallower angle of climb) or by pulling back too hard on the stick and causing at G-loading on the wing (in effect, suddenly making the airplane heavier). Smooth, small movements on the controls (or dual rates on a computer radio) help with that, but you said you've already been flying RC, so that (unintended abrupt G-loading) shouldn't be a big problem unless your CG was too far back, I'd think.

Another thing that comes to mind is the initial [launching] throw. You said it stalled only about 20 feet up, so the throw may well have been a factor. If you threw the plane pointed upwards, it may well have run out of air speed. In fact, the more I think about it, the more likely I think this is. Your initial throw should be level, and expect even some small loss of altitude before the Easy Star starts climbing. [By the way, I'm assuming that you are using the stock brushed motor from the ready to fly kit].

***So, throw the plane level out in front of you (you don't have to throw it especially hard) and let it get some airspeed (via holding level pitch attitude) for a few seconds before pointing it somewhat upwards into a shallow climb. [And always throw it into the wind of course, if there is any wind].***

The last thought I had was to make sure that your control rods are firmly connected to the control surfaces. My plane kept diving into the ground recently, right after launch, and I couldn't figure what the heck was going wrong. Upon inspection, I found that the control horn was no longer firmly attached to the underside of the elevator. It looked like it was correct, but it was in fact semi-detached and only lightly being held in place by the glue on one edge. Under an air load in flight, the control horn and elevator would bend away from each other (with the bit of remaining glue left acting as a hinge) and plane was thus uncontrollable and was crashing right after launch! So, make sure the control rods and horns are all tight and well attached.

Oh yeah, and finally finally ( ), make sure your CG is at the proper spot (or very slightly forward of that spot)!
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Last edited by dmt; Jan 12, 2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:52 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Oh yeah, and

*make sure your controls are free (not binding) and correct. When I say "correct", I mean that you should check that when you pull back on the Tx's control stick, the elevator on the aircraft moves up, and when you push forward on the stick, the elevator moves down; and left stick moves the rudder left [when viewed from the rear], right stick moves the rudder right [when viewed from the rear].

*Be sure to do a range check at the flying field.

*Make sure the Easy Star's anteanna is attached, and check the transmitter's power is good.

*Then, just before launching, re-check and make sure the transmitter's anteanna is UP!

Failure to completely do these quick, simple checks have caused more than one crash for me in the past!

If there are no radio (transmitter or receiver) issues, the controls are free and correct, the CG is correct, and the aircraft is reasonably well built; and you launch it with a firm (but not hard), level throw and let it climb out at a shallow angle, the Easy Star should reward you with a successful climb out.

Try a calm or very light wind day for at least your first flight, for your best chance of success.

Good luck, and let us know what happens! I'm sure you'll really enjoy your Easy Star once you get it going.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Last edited by dmt; Jan 12, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
New Ulm,MN,USA
Joined Nov 2007
452 Posts
Also, make sure your tail mount where there use the double sided sticky tape
to hold the entire tail section is not loose. My first time out I discovered that
the tape had let loose it was just hanging by the servo wires.

That not problem now. Glued them.
JimKallinen is offline Find More Posts by JimKallinen
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:43 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
The stock EZ Star motor will not let you climb at a high angle. Just fly it w/o trying to climb, and after 20 seconds you'll be surpsided how high it is.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
curtis
Canning Vale, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
123 Posts
I agree make sure that your tail fin is secured properly because from past experience with my GWS SS the tailfin is flimsy and i always had to tape it once in a while. A loose tail fin can cause poor rudder and elevator response.
cmckinley is offline Find More Posts by cmckinley
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:59 AM
curtis
Canning Vale, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
Well, it sounds like you had insufficient air speed (or more specifically, too high of an angle of attack) to maintain flight. You could get too high of an angle of attack by either holding its nose up too high to climb (try a shallower angle of climb) or by pulling back too hard on the stick and causing at G-loading on the wing (in effect, suddenly making the airplane heavier). Smooth, small movements on the controls (or dual rates on a computer radio) help with that, but you said you've already been flying RC, so that (unintended abrupt G-loading) shouldn't be a big problem unless your CG was too far back, I'd think.

Another thing that comes to mind is the initial [launching] throw. You said it stalled only about 20 feet up, so the throw may well have been a factor. If you threw the plane pointed upwards, it may well have run out of air speed. In fact, the more I think about it, the more likely I think this is. Your initial throw should be level, and expect even some small loss of altitude before the Easy Star starts climbing. [By the way, I'm assuming that you are using the stock brushed motor from the ready to fly kit].

***So, throw the plane level out in front of you (you don't have to throw it especially hard) and let it get some airspeed (via holding level pitch attitude) for a few seconds before pointing it somewhat upwards into a shallow climb. [And always throw it into the wind of course, if there is any wind].***

The last thought I had was to make sure that your control rods are firmly connected to the control surfaces. My plane kept diving into the ground recently, right after launch, and I couldn't figure what the heck was going wrong. Upon inspection, I found that the control horn was no longer firmly attached to the underside of the elevator. It looked like it was correct, but it was in fact semi-detached and only lightly being held in place by the glue on one edge. Under an air load in flight, the control horn and elevator would bend away from each other (with the bit of remaining glue left acting as a hinge) and plane was thus uncontrollable and was crashing right after launch! So, make sure the control rods and horns are all tight and well attached.

Oh yeah, and finally finally ( ), make sure your CG is at the proper spot (or very slightly forward of that spot)!
Make sure you have sufficient airspeed.
cmckinley is offline Find More Posts by cmckinley
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:07 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts

Tail heavy is a REAL problem!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
Santa Maria, CA
Joined Oct 2007
332 Posts
I had a big problem getting my easystar to CG right because I didn't buy it brand new. But once it was right, it flies great!
oldschoolvdub is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolvdub
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Also when any plane with a light wing loading encounters a sudden large increase of headwind it tends to go nose up steeply, and then stall...apply down elevator quickly when that close to the ground.

Is the plane "porpoising" typically when flying? That's an indication of tail-heavy CG location.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Fly in no wind so that is out of the equation. Sounds like you turned downwind and it was not going fast enough.

The stock motor is meant to cheaply get you (slowly) up high, and then they expect you to throttle way down and "soar"...it's not really a good plane for "flying around" with the stock motor.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Guys, in case you didn't notice this thread is from 2004! I doubt he's going to be reading this now, not to mention he's fixed whatever problem he had by now. At least I'd hope!
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico