HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,922 Posts
I just used an extra 8 pin lead that I had. Soldered the two negative leads together and the two positive leads together. Cut the channel select leads. Then I soldered the positive and negative power leads from the P2 to the vTx and the video out from the iOSD mini to the video and ground leads from the vTx. The video and ground from the P2 were then soldered to the video in on the iOSD mini. It worked perfectly from the beginning. I will post pictures later.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,922 Posts
Great day of flying the P2 with H3-2D. Light winds and temps in the mid 60's. Lots of guys at the field here in Las Vegas. I ended up on one of the huge wire spools beyond the pit area but right next to the flight zone. I flew my P2 with H3-2D, my P2Vision and the new Phantom with FC40 wifi camera. It was an all Phantom day.

My P2 is well balanced and the motors come down cool. I flew 3 packs on it and got an average of 15 minutes flight times. The longest was 16 minutes with 15% remaining in the pack, this was confirmed with telemetry and the second level battery indicator. I wish could see how much the charger put back in.

I have an iOSD mini connected to mine with the DJI video downlink. My ground station is a ReadyMade RC 8" monitor with a sun hood connected to the stock RC Tx with a CNCHeli monitor mount that attaches to the strap mount. It works great. I was getting 9-11 satellites during my flights. This iOSD mini worked well after I upgraded it to v1.04. The AZ shows and the diamond does what it is supposed to do. There were no video trails nor did I see much video artifact on the screen. I know that it does happen. This is my second H3-2D and neither of them have had an issue. Now if you get out near the limits where you can discern orientation, then you may get some static or some video lines. I have experienced this with other vTx/iOSD combinations. I will say that I am not that picky about the video downlink. I use it to frame shots and let me see what the camera sees. If it is less that crystal clear it does not bother me when I am at the field. I am more worried about loss of signal and glare that that.

I think that with the extended flight times of the P2 that DJI really needs to consider having a video/photo on off switch. There is too much time in the air to be filming continuously. I want to be able to divide up my shots into more manageable segments.

I will be posting photos of my set up along with some video once I can get it rendered. I am loving this set up. I am taking it with me to Tahoe over Christmas.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2013
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
If you use the power from Dean plug which is part of the 8-wire plug; connecting to the power (+) (-) from the wire coming from the center board; other two are video signal and video ground; you could not have shorted the circuit. Unless, you connect the battery(+) to the video out (one of the four wires coming out from the center board) by mistake.... which is no fault to the manufacturer.

I made a short quickie video ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P4dnyZ4vx4

The color code of the wiring is misleading ....
Again from top down
Battery (-)
Battery (-)
Battery (+)
Battery (+)
Channel
Channel
Video out
Video ground

If you use the Dean plug leads for power, you should be okay.
Thank you sir for the detailed description. I am saving this! You are most helpful.

I just tested with another cable I have from the replacement tx and sure enough, from a battery, it turns on. The one I though I blew also turns on.

The issue was simply that the deans connector was using black for +. I connected the V+ bat out of the P2 to red. Now I know how to wire deans I would have seen DJI wired the black wire to +. And there you go. I rewired the 8 wire harness it comes with correctly afterwards, but the damage was already done at that point. I have verified through your posts and DJI's own charts that my work is correct so moving forward I should be set, at least with power.

To be specific, (using the colors of the wires going into the Tx from the 8-wire keyed plug) I have white and green going to V+ Bat from the 4-wire out of the P2, and black and yellow going to the brown power ground (next to the red one) from the 4 wire out of the P2. Then I have grey from Tx going to the orange wire on iOSD Mini (Vid out) and the brown wire (gnu) next to it going to the purple wire from the Tx. Then I have Vid in to the Mini coming from P2 4 wire yellow, and Vid GND coming from P2 4 wire brown (the one not next to the red one).

Sound correct?
anticipate is online now Find More Posts by anticipate
Last edited by anticipate; Dec 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Dec 2013
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I just used an extra 8 pin lead that I had. Soldered the two negative leads together and the two positive leads together. Cut the channel select leads. Then I soldered the positive and negative power leads from the P2 to the vTx and the video out from the iOSD mini to the video and ground leads from the vTx. The video and ground from the P2 were then soldered to the video in on the iOSD mini. It worked perfectly from the beginning. I will post pictures later.
That's how it was supposed to be, and how my current wiring harness is. My issue was the wire out of the box from DJI with the AVL58 had red wired to - and black to +. I connected the + bat red line from the P2 to the red wire, and GND to the black, which was reversed.

I didn't know to look at the Dean's connector to see how they really wired it (I know now the top horizontal one is +). I just went with the red is hot convention because it was hot coming out of the P2.

Live and learn....
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2013
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzinman View Post
Same thing happened to me. The wires going to the dean plug are visibly red and black. I assumed that to be standard for pos and neg so I cut the dean plug off without any more thought about it. Turns out wherever the harness was made they have a different standard!
You are lucky you didn't blow the resistor on the main board like I did. So all the video and power coming out of the 4-wire is dead. (The rest of the functions are ok and it flies fine).

I bought another P2 to try again and will just sell the old one as flyable but with no FPV out. Or keep it as a spare. (I can't get fully into the shell to fix it due to a stripped screw, and I am not 100% sure the video line works even if I can wire around the resistor).

With the help from Sydney on this board I verified my new wiring harness and should be set with the new unit.

By the way, I since learned that + on deans is the top horizontal plug. Looking at my cut off connector from the first harness from DJI, you can barely see it, but black was going into that +. So we were both fooled by colors.

Incidentally, I have a replacement AVL 58 harness, and both cables are black. The + one has print on it, the - has stripes on it. Makes sense.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2013
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
,,, Now if you get out near the limits where you can discern orientation, then you may get some static or some video lines. I have experienced this with other vTx/iOSD combinations. I will say that I am not that picky about the video downlink. I use it to frame shots and let me see what the camera sees. If it is less that crystal clear it does not bother me when I am at the field.
Thanks for the report! So what you're saying is when you got to the visual limits the video started breaking up? Or was it still viewable but cutting out?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:14 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,922 Posts
I would get some minor static. I was no where near the limits of the video downlink. Probably at 50% would be my guess. The thing about these kinds of connections are that they are line of sight and the higher you are the better the line of sight.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2013, 08:46 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,424 Posts
A little video I shot last night with the Phantom 2

A Gritter Christmas Carol (8 min 56 sec)
CSpaced is online now Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
Will fly for food!
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jun 2013
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07xz7pGDJVM
LOL! Only in America. Nice stuff.
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipate View Post
Thank you sir for the detailed description. I am saving this! You are most helpful.

I just tested with another cable I have from the replacement tx and sure enough, from a battery, it turns on. The one I though I blew also turns on.

The issue was simply that the deans connector was using black for +. I connected the V+ bat out of the P2 to red. Now I know how to wire deans I would have seen DJI wired the black wire to +. And there you go. I rewired the 8 wire harness it comes with correctly afterwards, but the damage was already done at that point. I have verified through your posts and DJI's own charts that my work is correct so moving forward I should be set, at least with power.

To be specific, (using the colors of the wires going into the Tx from the 8-wire keyed plug) I have white and green going to V+ Bat from the 4-wire out of the P2, and black and yellow going to the brown power ground (next to the red one) from the 4 wire out of the P2. Then I have grey from Tx going to the orange wire on iOSD Mini (Vid out) and the brown wire (gnu) next to it going to the purple wire from the Tx. Then I have Vid in to the Mini coming from P2 4 wire yellow, and Vid GND coming from P2 4 wire brown (the one not next to the red one).

Sound correct?
In short; the color code of the wiring is mirror image of the 8-wire plug; reverse it, it will make more sense (Or turn it upside down).

I notify DJI about this. Or, use the way I listed.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:41 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,653 Posts
Quote:

Chris, you sure have a lot of time in your hands .... putting up all the lights.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
When is the next meet of OCMA at Irvine Lake? I'd like to meet other RC quadcopter pilots.
Sacman is offline Find More Posts by Sacman
Last edited by Sacman; Dec 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacha View Post
yep yep i understand, i run a P1 with 1300g (duel battery) just wanted to clarify that when the quad is heavier, do we need to adjust something when using a sprung throttle or the naza will take care of that
I always used a none sprung throttle and used the IOSD climb and decent meter on the right to know if i am centered or not
I thought that the throttle is a relative control and once the sticks are calibrated with the NAZA assistant the spring centered throttle will hold altitude and hover whether you increase the payload or not.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
Quote:

That was great work with the lights. But I kept thinking why is he just hovering statically in one spot? This video would be better if you moved the Phantom2 and circled the house or at least made small arcs.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:43 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
6,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
When is the next meet of OCMA at Irvine Lake? I'd like to meet other RC quadcopter pilots.
Feb2 is their next on site safety meeting, a mandatory class for the new year. PM me and I'll email you the registration information. I've been a member there for years but don't get out there much. It's a great airplane field, I tend to fly the small heli's around the neighborhood and parks.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE