HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:54 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
the antenna is shielded... coaxial ... the length is the last few CM exposed.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; Jan 26, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2014, 08:45 PM
United States, AL, Opelika
Joined Dec 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
the antenna is shielded... Coaxial ... The length is the last few cm exposed.
does that mean that it is actually two ends of same antenna??
quadular is offline Find More Posts by quadular
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:45 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadular View Post
does that mean that it is actually two ends of same antenna??
It is called dual diversity antenna; common on all late model receivers such as Futaba, JR, Spektrum.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/2.4_ghz_...rs_253_ctg.htm
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2000
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKevinSmith View Post
Your argument about the GoPro shooting 1920x1080 video yet having a 5 megapixel sensor is only partially correct. It's the maximum still image size, not the video capture size, that is a product of the actual sensor size. The GoPro could actually take 5Mpixel stills.

In the FC40's case, the stills are 1280x720, same as its video size. This is common when you are dealing with IP webcams, which is all that the FC40 camera is. This camera has a simple 720p sensor, which is exactly what the DJI spec sheet says.
Agreed. That's why I find it somewhat deceptive for DJI to mention 720p video in the spec without saying anywhere about still image resolution. Should state clearly in the spec that 1280x720 (or 1 megapix to be generous) is the max resolution on the still image. Afterall...the camera is intended both for video and photo.
tqpham is offline Find More Posts by tqpham
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:53 AM
United States, AL, Opelika
Joined Dec 2013
43 Posts
Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
It is called dual diversity antenna; common on all late model receivers such as Futaba, JR, Spektrum.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/2.4_ghz_...rs_253_ctg.htm
Thanks Sidneyw, appreciate the info.
John
quadular is offline Find More Posts by quadular
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:06 PM
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolhandAce View Post
I bolted my new Hero 3+ Silver to my FC40 today and went for a test flight with the WIFI turned on and linked to the GoPro App on my Galay S3. It was a success. The FPV works good. It gives me enough range to get all the Real Estate photos and video I need.
Sounds like a winner to me, glad to hear the GoPro worked for fpv.... Thanks for the info.
silentbutdeadly is offline Find More Posts by silentbutdeadly
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Does anyone know if the FC40 mainboard has the solder points to do the CAM-port hack? I'd like to add the BTU to my FC40 eventually, but looking at the board, it looks extremely bare compared to the Phantom v1.1.1 board and I can't see where those solder points would be.
FatKevinSmith is offline Find More Posts by FatKevinSmith
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:01 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKevinSmith View Post
Does anyone know if the FC40 mainboard has the solder points to do the CAM-port hack? I'd like to add the BTU to my FC40 eventually, but looking at the board, it looks extremely bare compared to the Phantom v1.1.1 board and I can't see where those solder points would be.
The answer is no. Phantom FC40 is the same as Phantom V1 with the exception of using 5.8 Ghz DJI only receiver and radio allowing the use of 2.4 Ghz WiFi connectivity with camera.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:21 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
Question about the Phantom FC40 5.8MHz system? Is the 5.8MHz as good as or better than the 2.4MHz systems as far as interference and range?

Multicopters are just starting to take hold at our club flying field, and most if not all are using 2.4MHz systems on there quads as well as fixed wing aircraft. Do any of you see any problems flying 5.8MHz along side of 2.4MHz aircraft?

Thanks,
Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:11 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,149 Posts
The 5.8gHz system is not effected by the WiFi connection of the FC40 camera. If you were using a 2.4gHz system you would/could have major issues with loss of RC control due to interference. The 5.8 system does not penetrate objects well. It is best for line of sight. The lower you go on the spectrum the greater penetration you have. The FCC modded version is rated to 500m the CE is rated at 300m. Still not bad. 300-500M makes the FC40 a small speck.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:16 AM
Joined Sep 2013
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
The 5.8gHz system is not effected by the WiFi connection of the FC40 camera. If you were using a 2.4gHz system you would/could have major issues with loss of RC control due to interference. The 5.8 system does not penetrate objects well. It is best for line of sight. The lower you go on the spectrum the greater penetration you have. The FCC modded version is rated to 500m the CE is rated at 300m. Still not bad. 300-500M makes the FC40 a small speck.
I don't understand FCC modded and CE. can anyone explain please.

ok , let 's me ask a simple question . how far Stock transmitter of DJI phantom fc40 can go? 500 m or 300m ?

if the answer is 300m how to make go 500m?
ChamnanFPV is offline Find More Posts by ChamnanFPV
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamnanFPV View Post
I don't understand FCC modded and CE. can anyone explain please.

ok , let 's me ask a simple question . how far Stock transmitter of DJI phantom fc40 can go? 500 m or 300m ?

if the answer is 300m how to make go 500m?
FCC is the US restriction (500m) and CE is the European Union (300m). Has to do with how many milliwatts the transmitter is allowed to output. This is controlled by a potentiometer on the back of the transmitter.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Question about the Phantom FC40 5.8MHz system? Is the 5.8MHz as good as or better than the 2.4MHz systems as far as interference and range?

Multicopters are just starting to take hold at our club flying field, and most if not all are using 2.4MHz systems on there quads as well as fixed wing aircraft. Do any of you see any problems flying 5.8MHz along side of 2.4MHz aircraft?

Thanks,
Rob
Within each band (5.8 and 2.4 are bands) there are dozens of channels. The separate channels are what allows the systems to not interfere with one another. 5.8 and 2.4 are separated by such a large gap that they don't ever overlap. Obviously if you have 10 flyers that are all on 2.4 there is a likelihood that two people could be on the same channel, and then you're gonna have a bad day.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:55 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,149 Posts
With modern channel hopping interference from another 2.4gHz tx is very slight. At any large flying field you can has as many as 10-15 craft in the air at the same time. No problem.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
Thanks to you all for your response to my 5.8MHz question! That makes me feel more secure in my possible decision to purchase the Phantom FC40!

I do have another one or two questions about the FC40 system! Does the camera come with a card for recording flights, or is it a separate purchase?

If one were to purchase the Phantom FC40 could at some later date replace the FC40 camera with something like a GoPro and mount it to the FC40 Quad?

Thanks again for all your help! These blogs are great!!

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd