Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Discussion
FrSky X8R receiver help

Hi Folks,

I am new to FrSky and just got my Taranis and it came with and X8R receiver. I also purchased another X8R to make 16 channels. With the help of the video I was able to bind them to the receiver.

I have a few questions.

1 - Can I plug in 2 batteries to power each receiver? I do this on 9ch Jr receivers without any problems, how do I plug two batteries into each receiver?

2- Can I plug in the RX battery into the RSSI port? or S.Bus port?

3- Which one is A1 and A2 ports? so it can read their value through telemetry?

4- It says that two X8R can be used serially, what does that mean and how do I do this?

5- I want one of the two receiver to get input value from my ignition battery, where can I plug that in so I can read it through telemetry? Is there anything I need to do this?

Sorry for all these questions as I am new and don't want to screw things up.

Vic
fw190 is offline Find More Posts by fw190
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,187 Posts
You will have to power each rx. Whether or not you choose to power from same battery source is up to you.

Not my video. But very useful. I need to more channels to run things like remote LEDs, missile launcher, coffee maker, flight attendant call button, PA system, etc...

I plan to install a completely separate SBEC for rx #2.

Taranis How To: Bind Two X8R's together to get 16 Channels (6 min 35 sec)
747Pilot is offline Find More Posts by 747Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom FX-61
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:47 PM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Thanks for the reply, that is the video that helped me bind to receivers. Without it the manual does not help me any,

Can I plug in a RX battery into RSSI port and another into the S.Bus port?

I am getting Telemetry reading for A1 (I am guessing its the main power to the receiver), Where can I get reading for the A2 port?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Thanks for the reply, that is the video that helped me bind to receivers. Without it the manual does not help me any,

Can I plug in a RX battery into RSSI port and another into the S.Bus port?

I am getting Telemetry reading for A1 (I am guessing its the main power to the receiver), Where can I get reading for the A2 port?

I don't think you are supposed to power them from the s.bus or rssi ports. Just use a channel port with Y-cables if you need to use the channel for something.

A1 is rx voltage. A2 is not accessible on the X8R. Look for the x8r2analog sensor to provide another analog input via s.port.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
It's a job...
Joined May 2012
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
I don't think you are supposed to power them from the s.bus or rssi ports. Just use a channel port with Y-cables if you need to use the channel for something.

A1 is rx voltage. A2 is not accessible on the X8R. Look for the x8r2analog sensor to provide another analog input via s.port.
Yup
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I was actually able to power the receivers through the sbus port which may not be a good idea. I need to rethink how I use these new receivers as I have always thought that + is also battery positive and - battery negative. I am going to meter them tonight and see how it is traced inside the receiver.

Can someone direct me to what items I will need to use with the X8R for sensing motor temperature?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
As far as I know, you CAN plug a battery into the S-BUS connector, but not into the S-port connector.

As noted in other replies the X8r has an internal A1 sensor but no A2 sensor, internal or external. The omission of an A2 sensor and connector is unfortunate and we hope that future X8 series receivers will have A2. Similarly we all await the arrival of more S-Port sensors such as the LiPo voltage sensor, motor current sensors and such.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Well I checked it and it appears you can power the receiver to any port as long as you have correct polarity. Even the SPort
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
I do have another question, if you are using 2 X8R receivers, do we get both A1 telemetry values?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:36 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I do have another question, if you are using 2 X8R receivers, do we get both A1 telemetry values?
If you have them both bound at the same time, the secondary receiver doesn't send telemetry.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 AM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Okay thanks for that info.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
When you set up an aircraft with two receivers you must make sure that ONLY ONE is sending telemetry. When using two X8Rs one of them must be bound in a non-telemetry mode. If both are sending telemetry then neither of them will get through.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:28 AM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Thanks JP, I setup the same as the video. Bound with a jump on the second receiver. I am getting A1 data but for some reason I am also getting A2 data on the transmitter that is giving the same value.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
It's a job...
Joined May 2012
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAeronut View Post
When you set up an aircraft with two receivers you must make sure that ONLY ONE is sending telemetry. When using two X8Rs one of them must be bound in a non-telemetry mode. If both are sending telemetry then neither of them will get through.

J.P.
The video at 2:38 shows how this is done.

Taranis How To: Bind Two X8R's together to get 16 Channels (6 min 35 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
Well I have ordered and received these items so i can try to expand the connection of a single receiver to 12 channels, I really only 10 channels on one plane and 11 on a new plane I am setting up.

So I am trying these items connected to my X8R receiver and I get no joy!

FrSky SBUS & CPPM Decoder with Pins
FRSKY SERVO CHANNEL CHANGER (SBUS, CPPM)

I programmed the decoder with the channel changer and after that I plug the decoder to the receiver's sbus and all I get is noise and servo arms hunting.

I don t know what to do, is this a known problem, anyone have the decoder working for them on the X8R receivers?

I have set D16, ch1-16 on the transmitter and I have also tried rebind with the decoder hooked up