Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2004, 01:48 PM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Yippee!
Any Foamy Flyers On Or Near Elizabeth City, N.c???

Been here for almost 2 years, still trying to get my first foamy in the air (AFTER ABOUT 9 FAILED DESIGNS, HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FLY ANY!!!!). Anyway, I have to admit this hobby is kind of frustrating without anyone to talk to or hands on training. Anyone out there that flys foamies close to e-city, N.C????? In the mean time will continue bashing foam until one of my experiments fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2004, 03:47 PM
Wilson Park Flyer
Wilson NC
Joined Jan 2004
17 Posts
I live in Wilson NC and we fly fan fold foam planes all the time. Are you cutting one out of a plan or are you making it all up on your own?
FalKon is offline Find More Posts by FalKon
Old Mar 01, 2004, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AL, Anniston
Joined Feb 2004
139 Posts
Moved up here to maine from ecity about 3 years ago. Worked for LSI on hercs.

Started building my own foamies and digging it. Latest subject is what I used to fly on back in my active duty days...

If I can help in anyway, let me know. Im no expert, but am learning and do enjoy the hobbie
excoastie is offline Find More Posts by excoastie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 02, 2004, 07:54 AM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
HU-25 FALCON, nice!!!! Yep, got plenty of those at ARSC. I'm a rotorhead myself . My previous attempts were a failure because I didn't use any plans so the CG, wing loading, etc was way off. Right now I just finished a JSF from ACESIM.com (I DID FOLLOW THE PLANS & CG RECOMMENDATIONS THIS TIME) & will maiden tomorrow. Instead of a full wing I decided to make it flat to save weight & building time (for some weird reason no matter how carefull I am with using minimal epoxy/probonb, it always comes too heavy). Is powered with a Permax 400 6v, Draganfly servos, GWS ICS-400, running a 6X3 prop direct drive with KAN 1050 (7C). Will post pictures latter on today.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
139 Posts
Used to teach H-60 avionics at the school when the h60 came on line. Sounds like your takeing all the proper precautions. Biggest thing would be the Cof G. How many times have you flown before? If this jsf doesnt fly, consider a (boring) hi wing trainer of some sort. I started out trying to fly a fighter type plane and found that I needed to take a step back to a trainer. Low wing planes move so quick, they can be very twitchy and respond so fast that you may not have the expereince to react fast enough.
Have you tried any of the GWS planes? They have a good line of airplanes and I have quite a few of them.
Yes Post your pics and I look foward to seeing them.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 01:53 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Well, I'm also a AET (old Army AE). Been working with 60's for the last 8 years. Anyway, motocalc says that it should be very stable like a trainer, so I'm going for what the program tells me. Flew a firebird Outlaw for a while (not much of a challenge), switched to an Aerobird (can't replace individual electronics), tried an GWS E-STARTER (came to heavy due to too much glue . So i decided to not spend any more on kits that are to painfull to just throw away or crash. That's pretty much why I'm sticking with FanFold. Will keep you posted of what happens tomorrow (wind will be below 5mph ALL DAY!!!!). Gotta get batteries for the digital camera so I can post pictures
Old Mar 02, 2004, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
139 Posts
Good Luck!... I look foward to your posts.
Where are you going to fly? I once flew a plane in housing (the field where you cant grow stuff. Lived on albatross st.
Im heading down that way in May to see my kid who still lives in chesapeake, and I'm going to bring down some things to fly. If possible maybe we can put an airframe in the sky. Ill bring the estarter and show you some mods ( rudder coupled with ailerons) ect. Ill also bring my brushless me 109.
Well, keep trying as for a long time, I had a lot of TCTO's (major airframes changes) after crashes. But no matter what I still love rc flying.
Old Mar 02, 2004, 07:29 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Ah!! I live on Gulfstream Dr. Yes, my "flying"(mostly crashing) area is on the big open area right in the middle of housing. I'll be great to meet a fellow coastie that enjoys r/c. Hopefully I can get the JFS model in the air and create interest in the hobby on the housing area, specially now that summer is coming.............Here's the picture of the housing area.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 07:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
139 Posts
Neat to see the pic. I see 210 albatross. I flew in about the same place. Looked at acesim website. The jsf looks great and I might just pick one up. Last spring I bought the Megatech B2 and it was totally unflyable. At least with my skills then. So looking at the difference between the two looks interesting and worth a try.
Well again good luck, and light winds.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 10:46 AM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
UPDATE: Still waiting for the wind to die down and while performing a preflight fried my ESC. I just plugged the battery & ESC started smoking!!!! I know I didn't plugged the Batt. backwards because my plugs prevent that from happening (TAMIYA PLUGS). Anyway, I installed another ESC (GWS 400), plugged the Batt., no smoke, everything should be ready to go as soon as the wind dies down (weather definetely turned on me today)
Old Mar 03, 2004, 11:33 AM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
IT FLYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Can't wipe the smile of my face!!!. Flew it in about 12 mph winds (couldn't wait ) After adjusting the exponential on the elevons from 40 to 70 % ,flew like a dream, straigh & leveled. The only mods that I need to do is re-inforce the wing & motor mount (motor ripped while landing. Gotta work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 03, 2004, 03:48 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Well, I'm at work right now so here's the latest. After about 5 flights & 90% elevon throws the aircraft has problems turning left (maybe because of the wind & control surfaces too close to the centerline). Moved the control surfaces to the wing and ordered a GWS 350C (5:33) that will turn a 9x7 3 BLADE PROP. Motocalc estimates that is going to be a screamer & have longer flights due to the decrease in weight. BTW, motocalc was right on the money with the predictions on the PERMAX 400 6.0 V, nice climbs, good acceleration. But let's face it.............speed=fun . . Pictures will be posted today, I keep forgetting that I need batt for the camera. Take care
Old Mar 03, 2004, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
139 Posts
Outstanding.... when I finally got my planes to fly it was such a feeling. I was in control and things worked well. The day I launched my spitfire into the sky and it worked was what you felt today. This hobbie is so cool, your well on your way to bigger and better things. This is something that you can keep with you for many years... I know cause i have.
Again, Congrats on your sucess.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 05:00 PM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Thanks, will install the elevons at lunch (working nights for the past year) and post pictures latter on tonight. Can't wait for another calm day Got my neighbor interested today (he used to fly gas airplanes back in the day and was very surprised to hear how much everything has changed on electrics since then) Hopefully I can tweak this airplane to do good aerobatics and get people in this hobby. Will be nice to organize local flying's & such, plenty of room for at least 3 more planes at this site.
Last edited by nieves50; Mar 03, 2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 05:30 PM
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2003
94 Posts
Elizabeth City

Here's a scale subject you could do!!
Snow Owl is offline Find More Posts by Snow Owl