HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2013
12 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX6i Brownout with orange Rx

OK, before anyone jumps down my throat about this post being in the wrong place know that I am new and not sure where I should post. That said, I hope this post is in the right place and I'm sorry if it isn't. Anyway, I have a terrible problem with brownouts on my Dx6i that no one at my field can figure out.Ive lost 2 planes so far to brownouts. At first I thought it was the orange Rx's I was using (615 and 620) until we tested the Tx with other peoples orange rx's and determined it just didn't like any of the orange Rx's. I checked the recall #'s with horizon hobby and it doesn't appear to be one of the Tx's that had issues. My Tx has no problems with any of the spektrum Rx's that I use (all are DSMX I'm told) leading me to believe my Tx isn't backward compatible with DSM 2 which I'm told it should be. What the hell? I'm stumped...
ranterl is offline Find More Posts by ranterl
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:54 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,228 Posts
Brownout is a voltage issue.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,137 Posts
Look in the menu and see if your TX is set for U.S. power mode or Europe. U.S. is higher power.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,814 Posts
What strikes me is the OP has a reputable tx and cheap knockoff Chinese copied (No, we don't copy anything!) rx's, and looked at the tx as the problem first. I'm gonna regret this...
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
The problem is not with the radio system at all. It's with whatever is powering things on the plane. Often, that's just the built in voltage regulator in the ESC, and if the ESC is under-rated, cheap quality, or poorly ventilated or all three... it will overheat that voltage regulator and hot voltage regulators don't work. It stops sending electricity and no receiver can work under those conditions, so that's why changing the RX made no difference.

You need to fix that power supply. Either get a better ESC with a switching regulator, or a separate BEC, and make sure everything is ventilated nicely.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:03 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
441 Posts
I've experienced the same with my DX6i and the same rx's. I've also lost two planes and a recent loss of signal. I've also experienced a few brownouts (a blinking rx) when powering up and have fixed it by re powering up again. On the occasions when I lost the planes I never checked the rx's when I powered up. To me this seems to be a problem with the Orange rx's and the only way to overcome it is to make sure you check each time that you have a solid light when powering up. As I can afford it I'm slowly replacing the rx with Spectrum but you have to be carefull that you only buy the genuine product as there are heaps of knock offs out there. In summary I think brown outs are common with Orange Rx's and usually occur when powering up (plugging in the battery). I know what causes brownouts and that it could be caused by faulty esc, battery failure etc but in my case they all checked out OK.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:54 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,128 Posts
As said, brownouts in DSM2 can be identified when the RX blinks. Brownout is a VERY specific situation when too much current is asked from the BEC and it shuts down/reboot.

If your RX doesn't blink after you lose signal then it's just a range issue and by no means a brownout. And as said above too the fault is not with the TX. I'd look at the cheap *ss OrangeRX (unless the issue can be reproduced consistently with genuine Spektrum RX). Range issues with these cost me one plane. The most recent OrangeRX touted to support DSMX seem more reliable but for me, never again!
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
I've experienced the same with my DX6i and the same rx's. I've also lost two planes and a recent loss of signal. I've also experienced a few brownouts (a blinking rx) when powering up and have fixed it by re powering up again. On the occasions when I lost the planes I never checked the rx's when I powered up. To me this seems to be a problem with the Orange rx's and the only way to overcome it is to make sure you check each time that you have a solid light when powering up. As I can afford it I'm slowly replacing the rx with Spectrum but you have to be carefull that you only buy the genuine product as there are heaps of knock offs out there. In summary I think brown outs are common with Orange Rx's and usually occur when powering up (plugging in the battery). I know what causes brownouts and that it could be caused by faulty esc, battery failure etc but in my case they all checked out OK.
Sounds like you're seeing "false brown-out indication" and you aren't actually having any real problems. This can be caused by a VERY common user mistake. IF you do not shut off the radio between flights, you will get a false brown-out indication.

It is important to keep in mind what that signal is actually telling you, and to realize that it's not telling you that a brown-out occurred. It is telling you that the receiver came on, and found its signal on the same two frequencies as the last time the receiver was used. It tells you that "QuickConnect" recovery was successful. It is telling you something is wrong but it might not be a brown-out - you could have caused the warning yourself.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I believe it is the whole electronic system combination issue such as tx batteries and esc rating, motor draw too much current etc, By the way, cheapo rechargeable NiMH batteries cause more problem too.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
I believe it is the whole electronic system combination issue such as tx batteries and esc rating, motor draw too much current etc, By the way, cheapo rechargeable NiMH batteries cause more problem too.

Edmond
Yeah, but it's not a mystery - each of those things causes certain specific symptoms.

TX batteries low - can cause loss of range disconnection

Poor ESC power rating - can cause the ESC to heat up, failing the voltage regulator, which causes a brown-out

Too much motor - can cause over-current safety shut-down in the ESC. It is fairly obvious when this happens because the motor shuts off abruptly but you still have control.

Poor receiver battery - never use 4-cell NiCd or NiMH packs with Spektrum - always use 5-cell, or use a Lipo and a regulator. This can cause a brown-out.

It does become tricky to troubleshoot this stuff if you are having more than one of those problems though. In that case, your only choice is to eliminate issues one by one by using known good parts.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:54 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The problem is not with the radio system at all. It's with whatever is powering things on the plane. Often, that's just the built in voltage regulator in the ESC, and if the ESC is under-rated, cheap quality, or poorly ventilated or all three... it will overheat that voltage regulator and hot voltage regulators don't work. It stops sending electricity and no receiver can work under those conditions, so that's why changing the RX made no difference.
Just want to elaborate a little on this. Some "DSM2 compatible" receivers are much more sensitive to voltage drop and will brown out and reboot even when the ESC has not shut down. I have a few of these...

This doesn't take away from Jasmine's assessment in any way. I'm only pointing out that a Rx brownout can occur under more benign conditions than one would think.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:06 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
Just want to elaborate a little on this. Some "DSM2 compatible" receivers are much more sensitive to voltage drop and will brown out and reboot even when the ESC has not shut down. I have a few of these...
Yes, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the Tx.

The OP claims that he gets 'brown-outs' only when using his Tx on systems that work fine when flown with other Tx's.

This is actually impossible because as already noted a brown out has nothing to do with the Tx, it's caused by a drop in voltage supply to the Rx.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Sounds like you're seeing "false brown-out indication" and you aren't actually having any real problems. This can be caused by a VERY common user mistake. IF you do not shut off the radio between flights, you will get a false brown-out indication.
+1000

I'm sure this explains why the OP thinks he's getting brown-outs (he isn't). With DSM2 receivers, if you don't turn off the Tx between flights then the receiver gets 'tricked' into signalling a brown-out has occurred. In reality there is no problem at all other than the Tx hasn't been turned off. The flashing LED brown-out indication is false.

This does not occur with DSMX receivers. In fact DSMX receivers (when in DSMX mode) dont indicate brown-outs even if one genuinely does occur, which explains why it's only the DSM2 Orange receivers that have the 'problem'.

The crashes 'may' have been genuine brown-out but my money would be on a 'dumb thumb' crash blamed on a brown-out due to the LED flashing. But this was most likely a false brown out as described above.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,814 Posts
Did you do a range check?
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:48 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,954 Posts
Also note that it is not a receiver problem. All receivers, regardless of manufacturer, will brownout when the voltage falls below what the receiver needs to operate. The "cheap chinese imitation" radio receiver has nothing to do with the brownout beyond setting the voltage at which brownout might occur.

Make sure your power supply is good and the required power supplied to the "cheap chinese imitation" receiver at all times and it will be as dependable as the three times more expensive real radio. In fact, for dependability, sometimes it would be best for Spektrum to imitate the imitator.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins