HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:50 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
Discussion
If you were starting over ??? Which controller

I have flown planks for years, reasonably computer savvy, Can solder well. I have flown the brushed micros, and would like to try out a small quad capable of carrying a go pro or Mobius on an FPV rig, probably without gimbals, at least to start. I have Flown FPV before, and understand the basics.

To that end, I have been trying to understand the dizzying array of controllers available for Quads.

I think my basic requirements are barometer and GPS, with RTH. I am not interested at this point in setting up waypoints other than RTH.

I don't really want to drop the $$ into a NAZA, but which controller is reasonably easy to set up and get running? I see a lot of them in the $50-75 range, and there are lots of threads, but I don't see any guide as to ease of getting off the ground in a controlled manner.

Thanks for any help. If there is a thread already around, point away, I searched, but didn't see one
Ken
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:06 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,428 Posts
Why not try a naza lite.. If not interested in the added features of the NAZA 2 such as WP.

NAZA lite is only $169 w/ gps right now.
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2013
330 Posts
get a witespy pro3- he pretty much does all the programming on the board so theyre relatively plug and play. simple wiring and gps capable.they have both baro and mag. he offers one without mag on the board-if you go with the gps- the mag is located on the gps.
with the new mwc 2.3 they just released waypoint nav also so thats still an option later if you like. at 42 dollars and only 28 for the gps you cannot beat the price.
ive gotten 4 different boards from him with no problems yet.
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
So far MultiWii PRO from HK is really complete and good for pocket, $65 all in
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
disful is offline Find More Posts by disful
Old Dec 07, 2013, 07:21 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
Is the white spy stuff from Ready to fly quads shipped from the USA? His stuff looks really promising. ESP since they seem to actually build and fly this stuff.
I have bought from HK a lot, but their support leaves something to be desired when things don't go quite as planned.

I know this is a slightly different topic, but I notice the option for telemetry on the boards. 915mhz and Blue tooth.

Does this add a display on a computer screen in real time? Sounds nice, but even more confusing. How much range does one get with blue tooth? I though that was strictly short range.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Last edited by lupy; Dec 07, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2013
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
Is the white spy stuff from Ready to fly quads shipped from the USA? His stuff looks really promising. ESP since they seem to actually build and fly this stuff.
I have bought from HK a lot, but their support leaves something to be desired when things don't go quite as planned.

I know this is a slightly different topic, but I notice the option for telemetry on the boards. 915mhz and Blue tooth.

Does this add a display on a computer screen in real time? Sounds nice, but even more confusing. How much range does one get with blue tooth? I though that was strictly short range.
yes hes a us shipper. im pretty sure thats exactly what that telemetry does BUT i dont know the specifics. would be better to ask in this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post26838416 thread.
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2013
700 Posts
The Naza M Lite + GPS for $169 right now is hard to beat if you're looking for something easy. The caveats are that you cannot do WPs, you can't grab telemetry from the flight controller or GPS, and it won't work for all multi-rotor configurations (e.g. Octa and X8 are not supported). If you go with APM + GPS, that will be $70 + $20 = $90 from Hobbyking's International warehouse. You can get the Naza M Lite from a local distributor and most have free shipping.

APM + GPS is a very strong FC and it gives you a huge amount of options, like the $30 telemetry radio set from Hobbyking. You can also do unlimited WPs and the ground control software is very nice and can run on PCs and Android. But, it's not as plug and play as the Naza controllers and will require that you do some tuning and vibration isolation.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still do both APM and Naza. For beginners, though, the Naza prices now are at least competitive and you aren't paying as big a premium. Before, they were very far out of line.
LoneStriker is offline Find More Posts by LoneStriker
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,974 Posts
For smaller quads (mini-h) the 30x30 FCs are the ticket... Most frames don't have holes for the larger boards.

I like the Flip Pro or 2.5 from witespy. I also really like the Naze32 and have a the Flip32+ (witespy's 32-bit equivalent). All will support GPS and most have a baro (not on Flip Pro). If you can in the Naze32 that would be my first pick... Outside of abuemark.com, I've only seen it at multirotorsupestore.com (currently out of stock, but p0st4L says on the way).
KC_703 is online now Find More Posts by KC_703
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:56 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,588 Posts
I think the naze32 is marketed as the spiritfly32 here in oz.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:00 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:

Yes we ship from the USA. the 915mhz and Blue tooth can be use for any setting changes and upcoming wave points. Just not loading code. it is like a "wireless cable" the computer can not tell the difference

MultiWii 2.3nav Beta - Dec 6th release - Teaser trailer :D (3 min 16 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disful View Post
So far MultiWii PRO from HK is really complete and good for pocket, $65 all in
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
We have the same board. IN Blue! with better ubox GPS unit for $46 dollars all in
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Dec 08, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:25 AM
quad lover
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined May 2009
166 Posts
What about KK2.1???

I'm surprised nobody mentioned either the KK2.0 or the newer KK2.1 board??

I've tried the KK2.0 and for $29.99 you can't beat the price. The new one is more advanced and it's the same price. Now with that one, there's no problem in my choice: I'd go with the KK2.1 board for sure!!

It's the next easiest thing to fly after the Naza, and the price puts it right up front as the answer to your question.
john-doe is offline Find More Posts by john-doe
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:11 AM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,082 Posts
Quote:
I have flown planks for years, reasonably computer savvy, Can solder well. I have flown the brushed micros, and would like to try out a small quad capable of carrying a go pro or Mobius on an FPV rig, probably without gimbals, at least to start. I have Flown FPV before, and understand the basics.

To that end, I have been trying to understand the dizzying array of controllers available for Quads.

I think my basic requirements are barometer and GPS, with RTH. I am not interested at this point in setting up waypoints other than RTH.

I don't really want to drop the $$ into a NAZA, but which controller is reasonably easy to set up and get running? I see a lot of them in the $50-75 range, and there are lots of threads, but I don't see any guide as to ease of getting off the ground in a controlled manner.

Thanks for any help. If there is a thread already around, point away, I searched, but didn't see one
Ken
There are many great choices out there which is awesome and kind of daunting.

For ease of use and if you just want to fly by flipping switches than maybe Naza.
If you are on a budget then many of the fine controller that Paul has over at witespy's site.

The 2 I personally like the most are the Crius AOIP v2 as it can do both Megapirateng [which is really tuned for this exact controller] or Multiwii.

Right now my favorite is the Arduflyer from RCTimer. A truely awesome controller at a great price.

There are a bazillion others out there but to me they are either too limited or too expensive for my usage and tastes. But most will do what you need.
TheQuestor is offline Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Jun 2008
959 Posts
if i was starting over and wanted GPS return to home.... NAZA lite.

you might get lucky with Multi wii and gps but it still wont be as good as NAZA.

now if you want to fly around and do acrobatic stuff. multiwii flip 1.5 does the trick.

if i was starting over and wanted to do flips and things like worthox then a witespy flip RTF would be my first purchase.
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:22 AM
youtube.com/#/user/flyrobots
Indonesia
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
I tried WKM, MK, AQ, APM and MWI
I highly recommend MWI for you taste, the most stable flying and good for your pocket.
This is website i recommend http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ntrollers.html
buy the GPS with big antena.

John
Flyrobot is online now Find More Posts by Flyrobot
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:48 AM
Gyro, SimonK n call it a day:)
United States, NJ, Hamilton Township
Joined Jan 2013
306 Posts
If your main requirements are a baro and gps then I'd say go with the naza. The altitude hold and gps hold are (unfortunately) untouchable in ease and accuracy compaired to the other FC's. This is the present vacuum that exists in the multirotor controller world. Other controllers are cheaper and pretty good, if you want to spend tons of time tuning and tuning then you can get results very close to the naza performance.....on the other hand the naza also may decide to fly itself back to china with no warning. We all are desiring a cheaper, more reliable, system that is just as accurate as the naza. But know one (as of yet) has been able to "show up" DJI and all of their shinanigans.
lockwood is online now Find More Posts by lockwood
RCG Plus Member