HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Discussion
Advice for 1st time buyer

I need some advice. I'm looking to buy my first sailplane and I read that first time flyers should not go under 2m. I love the Art Hobby planes but trying to keep costs down so is the Poly or the Falco at 1.5m that much more difficult for a beginner to handle than say a Valvia 2m? I'll be mostly flying in generally flat areas. Thanks.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
Those seem to be nice planes but if you are just getting started in soaring, you can get a ready to fly self launching sailplane for that price. Once you learn a thing or two about keeping them in the air, you can buy/build a nicer plane and enjoy it for a longer period of time instead of making all of your rookie mistakes with it. The Radian is a popular choice.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Dec 07, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Good advice and thanks. I'm on a fixed income and can just about afford this one shot. My plan is to study and get good on the sims over the winter and then get help on first flights next summer from experienced flyers. I won't have any problem with assembly - I've built a few planes.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 07:21 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
364 Posts
Brynmr-
Go with the Radian as your first plane. Buy the 3 channel not the Pro. You will be glad you did. Read the Radian forum also. Lots of good info. It's a great plane and a contest winner too.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Dec 07, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
You guys are real buzz killers. Ok I'll buy both. Maybe I can find a used Radian. Geez LOL.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Here's a beginner plane that's about $70 cheaper than the Radian. http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8929-sonic185-arf.html I could also transfer the servos to my Art Hobby plane once I'm ready. Sounds good to me.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:08 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
555 Posts
Here are three electric-launch sailplanes that would be great starter planes:
1 - Radian (regular, not Radian Pro)
2 - Radian (regular, not Radian Pro)
3 - Radian (regular, not Radian Pro)

Art Hobby sailplanes are very nice planes (I have a couple) but they require assembly, finishing (covering), and radio installation. With the Radian the assembly is minimal, there is no finishing, and the radio is already installed. A couple of other nice electric-launch foamies are the Calypso and the Easy Glider Pro. Don't buy a second glider until after you have flown the first one for a while.

Good luck and have fun,
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr View Post
You guys are real buzz killers. Ok I'll buy both. Maybe I can find a used Radian. Geez LOL.
Nobody's trying to kill your buzz. It's just that we want you to have the best possible experience so that you will stay in the hobby and hopefully expose even more people to the joys of soaring. If you spend the first year of the hobby trying to figure out why your plane won't climb in a thermal, or why it won't trim out so that you can tell when you are in a thermal, you will be more likely to give up. If you feel like you want to build the plane so you can enjoy it more, like me, get the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro kit. It requires quite a bit of work to get it flight ready and you can install the radio so that it's up to your standards. It's also a much better plane in my opinion. I have both the Radian and Easy Glider Pro so I know first hand. Don't fear the foamy!
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:49 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
673 Posts
Never have understood why people ask for advice, then if they don't hear what they want they openly discount it....

Agree with all you said edfmaniac. I don't have either of the foamies you mention, but I've been flying gliders for many years. Many of my club members have Radians and like them. The Radian and Easy Glider both have good reputations on the inter-web.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Ok you guys are all co-owners of Hobby Zone. I like the Calypso. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/calypso_e...39858_prd1.htm Beautiful plane - comes with servos - would need motor $20 on Amazon. That's doable.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Soarmark: 'Advice' is a recommendation not a requirement or a command that must be followed. I was asking for recommendations.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
Thanks edfmaniac. Looking into the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro. I don't mind the idea of learning on a foamie, I'm just trying to keep the cost down.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr View Post
Thanks edfmaniac. Looking into the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro. I don't mind the idea of learning on a foamie, I'm just trying to keep the cost down.
If you have enough money to buy an Art Hobby plane you have enough money to buy the Radian. If you are new listen to us and buy the Radian. We are only trying to help you.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Dec 2013
395 Posts
I appreciate your help.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2007
364 Posts
Seriously, If you want a good proven performer that will do anything you ask then the Radian is the best buy for you. It will last, parts are available from most every hobby shop, or online, and it has a proven track record. You can get it ready to fly right out of the box or ready for a radio. I've flown the Nitroplanes glider you mentioned and it is not made to thermal. Will it yes, but with difficulty. Getting parts is difficult and you won't get support. Art Hobby planes are ok but they require building, are not for a newbie and parts are only available from Andre. PLEASE BUY THE RADIAN three channel.
Closed Thread