SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
15 Posts
Here is a picture of the fuselage with power module and battery.
nealcfi is offline Find More Posts by nealcfi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:22 AM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,143 Posts
The newest Tower Talk has announced new Aircore airframes:

Zero - White
Zero - Green
Spitfire
FW-190

Availability date unknown... They look nice!

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:11 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
For Christmas, my wife got me the Miss America airframe, power module, and charger. I already had a TTX402 laying around. The inlaws gave me $50 cash, so I went out and bought the ME 109 airframe.

I've only flown micros so it'll be interesting to see how a plane that's bigger and heavier will handle. I'll post a flight report when I get around to flying them.
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:28 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcfi View Post
Here is a picture of the fuselage with power module and battery.
Thanks.... I was more wondering if the top of the fuselage cleared the battery with extra space and/or is there much foam thickness there is one wants to run a 350mah or 3s battery.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2007
15 Posts
Flew the 109 this am-no wind. Flys fine but not on rails like the P-51. Do not handlaunch above 60% throttle-due to the smaller verticle stab and rudder. The 109 also seems more pitch sensitive especially in the flare. I'll have to recheck the CG. Neat airplane! Look forward to the FW 190!
nealcfi is offline Find More Posts by nealcfi
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:22 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
317 Posts
I just flew the P51 aircore frame. Great design. Flew in 5-7mph wind, and I could get her to hover in place with slightly less than 50% throttle. There's a lot of aileron authority so, I had to switch from 100% rates to 70% with no expo. Flys great slow and level, but if you tip the wings too much when slow, she'll stall and drop. Made that mistake on landing when I decided to go around and increased throttle, but didn't wait for her to accelerate before turning.

Very resilient despite nosing in from about 3 ft. Prop, and canopy came off, no damage.
makattack is offline Find More Posts by makattack
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makattack View Post

Very resilient despite nosing in from about 3 ft. Prop, and canopy came off, no damage.

Congrats on your flight. I didn't have much luck with my maiden flight. I fly micros in small baseball and soccer fields and when I flew the Miss America I didn't feel like I had enough room. Another thing I do is fly close to the ground since the micros are so small. During my maiden, I did a loop but wasn't high enough and crashed hard into the ground. The cracking sound of the foam was impressive. The fuselage is totally destroyed.

No biggie. I also have the ME 109 airframe and yesterday I bought the Principle airframe just to get used to flying something bigger than I'm used to.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2013
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
Congrats on your flight. I didn't have much luck with my maiden flight. I fly micros in small baseball and soccer fields and when I flew the Miss America I didn't feel like I had enough room. Another thing I do is fly close to the ground since the micros are so small. During my maiden, I did a loop but wasn't high enough and crashed hard into the ground. The cracking sound of the foam was impressive. The fuselage is totally destroyed.

No biggie. I also have the ME 109 airframe and yesterday I bought the Principle airframe just to get used to flying something bigger than I'm used to.
Those are the same size fields I fly at, and since this was my maiden flight, I purposely kept my altitudes high until I could get used to flying these airframes. The slightly larger size and brushless motor does make it more challenging in the small fields, but I found this plane flies really well going slow and level. I usually also fly the UM/UMX planes from HorizonHobby, and found the biggest difference besides the power is that these planes are more sensitive to control actions.

Sorry to hear about your lost Miss America! At least the frames can be replaced easily if they can't be fixed. I also have the Me109, but won't try her until I get a clamer day. Part of why I had to do a go-around on my landing was due to the wind blowing my P51 off course and had I continued the landing approach, I'd have ended up in the trees near the third base plate in the softball field I fly at.

It was weird, when I started the approach, the wind was directly into the nose of the plane, then shifted and turned into a crosswind, which blew her off course, before I could correct with the rudder. She basically got blown into a more downwind path, so even when I applied more throttle, as soon as I tipped a wing to avoid the trees, lift was lost.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:11 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
My son wanted to fly his new Yak 54 180 today. The winds were blowing at 8-10 MPH. He has no trouble in the wind since he flies it WOT and it cuts right through it.

I brought my UM Trojan and the Principle. I started off with the Trojan and while it was flyable, the wind tossed it around a bit. I decided to fly the Principle. I figured since it was bigger, it would handle the wind better. Wrong, the wind tossed it around more than the Trojan. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because it's more of a "floaty" plane.

I'm on third shift this week and my son is off from school. That should give us some opportunities to try again.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Nov 2013
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
My son wanted to fly his new Yak 54 180 today. The winds were blowing at 8-10 MPH. He has no trouble in the wind since he flies it WOT and it cuts right through it.

I brought my UM Trojan and the Principle. I started off with the Trojan and while it was flyable, the wind tossed it around a bit. I decided to fly the Principle. I figured since it was bigger, it would handle the wind better. Wrong, the wind tossed it around more than the Trojan. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because it's more of a "floaty" plane.

I'm on third shift this week and my son is off from school. That should give us some opportunities to try again.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the Principle, as I don't have that frame, but I found that the wind can affect the aircore frames pretty significantly.

If the Principle's wing is similar to the P51 and the Me109, it would be a semi-symmetrical wing vs. an undercambered wing that my other UM/UMX planes have. I believe the undercambered wings generate more lift, especially at slow speeds during upright flight, but the semi-symmetrical wings generate a little less.

I believe that means in windy conditions, a higher throttle and more active throttle management is necessary especially on down-wind legs and high angle turns.

That would kind of explain how I tip stalled on landing when attempting a go-around. Still, I'm impressed that the only damage I have was essentially a slightly compressed spinner.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 04:07 PM
Scratch Building Lives
Columbia, SC
Joined Jul 2006
195 Posts
ME-109 looks very nice; horizontal stab skewed.

I just got the ME-109 today and it has a very nice finish. The only complaint I have is the horizontal stab is out of alignment with the fuselage. I am not sending it back as I can cut the vertical stab and reattach with Gorilla glue. I am putting a compatible receiver and HK-282 2 gram servos instead of the Tactic servos and receiver. Otherwise everything is the same. I have some old Cox planes in this size (undercambered wing and underpowered brush motors), and they don't even closely compare for the value. My two cents.
voyager2lcats is offline Find More Posts by voyager2lcats
Last edited by voyager2lcats; Feb 08, 2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:44 PM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Flyzone is offering a $30 merchandise certificate with the purchase of a power module. http://www.rcaircore.com/promos/powe...ate/index.html

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is online now Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Old Feb 01, 2014, 04:20 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,230 Posts
Gents,

Does the Air Core brick have a bind button? If not, it may be prone to spontaneously rebinding to another Tactic TX that is already powered up. There's talk about this in the Radio forum.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 01, 2014, 06:39 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Gents,

Does the Air Core brick have a bind button? If not, it may be prone to spontaneously rebinding to another Tactic TX that is already powered up. There's talk about this in the Radio forum.

Jim R.
No bind button, Jim.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:47 AM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
I am replacing the Tactic receiver with this, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18827

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is online now Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth