HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,462 Posts
Discussion
WHat are your predictions for DLG features in 2014

I am new to this sport, That lets me think outside of the box if I didn't have that reputation prior.

I predict DLG's of the future will:

Be more durable. Possibly tested and marketed as to what side forces the tail feathers can sustain. Published nose in Velocity/angles with zero ship damage.

DLG's will Have super strong, and Aero shaped nose cones that flirt with the 5mm radius rule. why add ballast instead of some beef.

Breakaway tail feathers. for damage reduction and quick stowage.

Designed for ease of build and preflight assembly.

Pod designs tailored more to a specific set of RX's , servo's, and batteries.

1S batts will rule!.

Wish list:
Smoke screen system to keep others out of your thermal.. Actually just think how cool it would be to be able to drop pink pixie dust to help you learn what the air is really looking like.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 01:05 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,094 Posts
We will yo-yo back and forth between low and high aspect ratio designs.

the average man will continue to lust after whatever plane the top pilot flies.

Prices will get higher.

Wives will still complain whenever the 60+" box comes to the front door.....
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Dec 06, 2013, 02:52 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
On that R^2 property of moment of inertia, the nose being short compared to the wings and tailboom means that a long or short nose really doesn't change the moment of inertia all that much. Nose length does affect drag though, and wing airflow interference particularly in a sideslip.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 06, 2013, 08:32 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,853 Posts
Things that I would look at:
Onboard CG control from the radio. With some ships being "too light" a small servo could shift some ballast to move the CG in flight. Is this allowed in the rules?
A thinner wing with 4 in the pod orientation but with smaller "nano" servos with big power and linier output. The fuse could be thinner and with the new single cell batteries the nose could be very thin.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:18 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
On that R^2 property of moment of inertia, the nose being short compared to the wings and tailboom means that a long or short nose really doesn't change the moment of inertia all that much. Nose length does affect drag though, and wing airflow interference particularly in a sideslip.

Gerald
Damn GT.....!!!

Fantastic. If only you would finish your statement with:

BAM!
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:19 PM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
953 Posts
Wishes for accessories... Spektrum (Futaba, and other brands too if that is what you use ) to release a very small light weight telemetry module just for DLG use that has rx pack voltage and link data(of course), vario, and altitude that all reports back to the voice capable DX9. I would pay $150 for that if they could design it as light as possible and all in one tiny little telemetry unit with a very light weight casing or no casing at all.

Then again... they can't even release the normal vario sensor that was hinted at over a year ago so I am sure this has -100% chance of becoming reality .
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:26 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
???

Anyway, I'm in favor of having the nose be no bigger than necessary. What brings our planes down is sink, bad piloting, and drag. I might be able to have some influence on the latter, but not much on the first two!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
I think DLGs will make ham sandwiches. I mean, how sweet would it be to have your DLG make you a ham sandwich after 3 hours of flying it?

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:11 AM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
Things that I would look at:
Onboard CG control from the radio. With some ships being "too light" a small servo could shift some ballast to move the CG in flight. Is this allowed in the rules?
I already head this in my Twisters at the last worlds in Denmark. It doesn't bring a lot thaugh. Don't think i will have this in future planes anymore. The extremely light planes bennefit somewhat from a CG change. In the more ballasted planes i hardly notice a difference
Alex Hoekstra is offline Find More Posts by Alex Hoekstra
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:24 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
726 Posts
Interesting Alex, you kept that quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra View Post
I already head this in my Twisters at the last worlds in Denmark. It doesn't bring a lot thaugh. Don't think i will have this in future planes anymore. The extremely light planes bennefit somewhat from a CG change. In the more ballasted planes i hardly notice a difference
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Dec 07, 2013, 04:50 AM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post
Interesting Alex, you kept that quiet.
+1

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is offline Find More Posts by imack
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,462 Posts
nice ideas guys.. Ham sandwich is silly but no one should say anything negative in a brainstorm session...

Whatever happened to that guy who posted a thread and was working on a nice looking two piece wing mounting system?
I know I could design a wing mount system stronger than the wing roots I have looked inside of.

GT, I have the super minimalist nose in mind.. But it will not hold dealers choice of Batts, RX and Servo's

What about if the wing was more strong in the root and the pod and tail hooked onto that instead of the wings to the fuse?

and ALEX, we need more of a report on that movable CG than it didn't win you a competition..

THe rules are very simple if I remember right, Ripe for adventure. but to vrio of altitude permitted. SO while your asking for a new RX from the vendors ask for one that can be switched to only transmit batt Voltage. Maybe we could get the rules to allow that? as these planes go over the 1.5k USD mark soon.
Last edited by elkski; Dec 07, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Whatever happened to that guy who posted a thread and was working on a nice looking two piece wing mounting system?
Do you mean this project? two-piece wing, mid-fuse mounting, removable tails, etc. Perfect full-size F3K travel glider.

Evo's are starting to get into pilots hands - a guy at my field has one. Traian has some mad building skillz for sure...
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,462 Posts
Yes Matt, THe EVO, I read all of that thread initially and was very impressed with Traians out of the box designs. I guess Jun has one for testing. .
Old Dec 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
DLGs will have an onboard smoke generator which will spew colored smoke to indicate lift with a colored fart
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount