HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
Mini-Review
Flyzone Aircore Review

I've never done a review before, but i havent seen anything on here about the Aircore, so heres my first mini-review. Let me know if you like it, or if you have constructive criticism. Any comments are welcome and appreciated.
I just got the "Miss America" P-51 Air core airframe, and I also got the Power core, lipo, and an any link for my DX6i. The whole set was a little less than $150 from HobbyTown USA, Albany.
I didn't like the instructions because it was mostly pictures, it didn't really explain that much, and also I was a little disappointed when the instructions only had info for binding a Tactic TX, and not any other kind. It says to reverse all channels except rudder. If you have a DX6i, don't do that. It was actually very simple once I figured it out. All you do is turn on the TX, then turn on the Power core. However, do not turn on the TX with the switch, only use the Anylink to turn it on. If you use the Any link AND the switch on the TX, it will try to rebind. Another problem is that the Power core magnets don't fully line up with the magnets in the Air core, but for now a pressure fit seems fine.
Other than that, the plane is extremely nice.
A few features I found particularly interesting are there's no glue required in the build, even the wing is held in with magnets. The recommended lipo (only $5!) Only took less than 20 minutes to charge on my extremely slow charger, it balanced perfectly out of the box (which is good because they dont leave enough room to move the battery), because all of the Aircore airframes have different color spinners, each comes with its own prop/spinner, and the best part, no more nuts, bolts, and wrenches! The prop simply snaps on. The CS near perfectly matches the paintjob of the full-scale "Miss America" Reno racer. (The blue on the FS plane may be a little lighter shade). I'll do a flight test tomorrow, and I'll post the results as soon as I can.
Thanks for looking,
-RG
RG916170 is offline Find More Posts by RG916170
Last edited by RG916170; Dec 06, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 07:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
I don't know if I can do the test flight today, its raining here in Albany. But, I'll do it as soon as I can.
Old Dec 06, 2013, 09:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
*Update*
It stopped raining long enough today for me to maiden the aircore "Miss America". Don't be fooled by the size of this- it's extremely fast! Unlimited vertical, perfect loops, and scale rolls. I was landing it, and it came in a little too fast, so it rolled for a few seconds, then flipped over when it hit grass. (the grass was the best place to stop it-considering that there was a metal guard rail a few inches to the left!).
The prop broke, and that's the only damage. After I picked it up and unplugged the battery, I noticed the magnets didn't line up correctly in the airframe with the powercore. I called Hobbico (Flyzone), and the people over there were nice enough to send me a free ME-109 airframe in the mail. It's supposed to get here next week. The guy I talked to was very nice and helpful, and I asked him if they ever take suggestions for new planes. He replied, "Sure!". I said that since they have the amazing "Miss america", they should make a whole line of Reno racers. A couple examples I gave were the P-51D "Voodoo", and the F8F "Rare Bear". He said that would be a great Idea. I'm hoping they'll actually consider it!

CONCLUSION:
For the price, the amazing ability of the modular design, and the unbelievable flight characteristics, I would HIGHLY recommend it to an intermediate to advanced RC pilot looking for a nice flying, fun park flyer (or 4 (for now))!
Old Dec 07, 2013, 12:47 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,011 Posts
I have the Miss America as well as the ME109. These planes are fast and fly like much larger planes. I am using my Tactic TTX650; it is a perfect TX for these micros. They are sturdier than other micro planes too.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 07, 2013, 11:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
Hi, chuck, have you tried either indoors? My indoor club flys on Sundays, so I think I may bring it.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 04:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
It was nice out today, so I got another flight in. When its not fighting the wind, this thing is extremely fast. First of all, this may be the only plane I've ever had that flies as long, if not longer than it takes to charge. Also, yesterday the prop broke on landing. I stopped by Hobbytown today and got two more props. Yesterday, I thought it was a bad landing because of the weather. Today, the same thing happened again, so I figured out that while the recommended CG is perfect for flying, its a little nose heavy while sitting/landing. I took the LG off, had a great flight, and when the battery died (I don't recomment this) I caught it by the wing...and the prop survived! 
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
DO NOT get the Principle! I got it and flew it a few days ago, and it turned very sharply to the right, then crashed. I just flew it again today, and the same thing happened, but now its totaled. I called Hobbico, and they said that's normal. WHAT?! I've flown many trainers over the years, and the Principle is by far the worst one I've ever had! That's very surprising, considering how great the P-51 is. I'm very disappointed. If you get the Flyzone Aircore, DO NOT GET THE PRINCIPLE! Go with the P-51. I have an ME-109 on the way, I'll write about the first flight. Prediction: all of the Aircore warbirds coming out should be great. I'll do a follow up on that soon!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG916170 View Post
Hi, chuck, have you tried either indoors? My indoor club flys on Sundays, so I think I may bring it.
No, I haven't flown these indoors, but, I would imagine they are a bit too fast for indoors. My Me109 is insanely fast outside.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
Yeah, my P-51 is also like a rocket outside. I got the Principle because I was going to fly it indoors, but as I wrote, it didn't turn out so well. I'm supposed to get the ME-109 from Hobbico within the next few days.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:14 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,488 Posts
All of the comments of being "insanely fast" have me wanting one!
I have several Horizon UM's (Carbon Cub, Pole Cat, Mig15, Beast 3D) and they all leave me wanting a bit more Umph (Beast on 3s batteries is the exception).
Plus I just picked an AnyLink and so now that there's a least 1 endorsement I just might seriously consider it. The Miss America in particular.
I don't need anymore High-Wingers.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
If you want a REALLY fast plane (for its size), the Miss America is the way to go! I love the HH UMX planes, but in outdoor flight, they just don't compare. I'll post a video soon to show the raw speed of this beast!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,488 Posts
btw... what's with all of the broken props?
are they particularly weak?
I thought that the "prop saver" thing was supposed to keep you from breaking props by allowing it to snap off the motor shaft on hard landings.
It also reminds me of the Cox Sky Ranger prop saver thing on their planes.
and Lastly, did you have any problems balancing the props?

Thx.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2013
467 Posts
No problems balancing, and if you have a hard landing, the adapter breaks off the prop. However, I took the LG off and have been belly landing it. Sometimes the prop comes off, but it snaps off instead of breaking. I'd recommend belly landing. The other day, I hit a light pole, and the wings popped off (like they were supposed to), and the prop popped off, but didn't break. The only time I've had a prop break was from landing with the gears.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Sep 2013
35 Posts
Also see: "Flyzone Aircore Models - Warbirds ncluded!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG916170 View Post
No problems balancing, and if you have a hard landing, the adapter breaks off the prop. However, I took the LG off and have been belly landing it. Sometimes the prop comes off, but it snaps off instead of breaking. I'd recommend belly landing. The other day, I hit a light pole, and the wings popped off (like they were supposed to), and the prop popped off, but didn't break. The only time I've had a prop break was from landing with the gears.
Thanks for the review. I am doing my research to decide if I want to try out this aircore system, and your review was helpful to me. For those in a similar position, note that there is a similar discussion called "Flyzone Airecore Models - Warbirds Included" in the RCGroups forum. burkefj notes that he solved the landing nose-overs by bending the landing gear forward. Also, JoJo505 notes that the antenna is tucked into the receiver shrinkwrap and needs to be gently pulled out of the shrinkwrap. Maybe this caused the problem with your trainer??

For the record, I have only bought and flown 2 of the Flyzone products (the S.E.5a biplane and the P-38 twin engine), and I love them both. They use the Tactic TX402 transmitter, which has been rock-solid for me. Never have lost the bind between transmitter and receiver - which is more than I can say for my Spectrum DX4e.

By the way, does anybody know if the TX402 transmitter works with these new Aircore modules, in the sense of correct servo travel? EDIT effective 1Feb2014: The TTX402 does bind to the AirCore and does have servo reversing. I have answered my own question in a post on this date. It matters if the TTX402 is set up for 3 channel or 4 channel planes. The 3 channel set up has the ailerons on the left stick when you bind it to the AirCore; not optimal for sure. The 4 channel set-up works with the AirCore if you reverse the aileron servos. See how in my post of 1Feb.
DB_Fan is offline Find More Posts by DB_Fan
Last edited by DB_Fan; Feb 01, 2014 at 11:39 PM.