SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by muscleflex, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2013, 03:34 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom Self Tightening Props balancer rod

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

UPDATE: Oct 08, 2014
Good morning!
Just to let you all know that I will be producing e600 prop balancer rods as well from next week. I am just awaiting for confirmation from the first person to get it to confirm everything is ok then I'll start full production and shipping them out hopefully by the 20th of Oct.

UPDATE: Sept 29, 2014
Just to update everyone who have ordered, yours are all packed and will go out at lunchtime today. Expect an email from me to confirm. Thank you

UPDATE: August 28, 2014
Thanks to those who have contacted me. I am uptodate with shipping rods out up to those who contacted me from Monday, 25th.
I've been spending all my time with the new arrival. Here's a little photo to show her to you guys

UPDATE: August 25, 2014
I Have a backlog of rods I am packing and shipping out between tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday. As you can imagine - all my time has been spent looking after my wife and our new baby.. our 7yr old has been helping as well which is quite fun!
Anyhow, It's a national public holiday today so I couldn't send out any rods. Those who have ordered will get my usual emails confirming I have sent the rods tomorrow and Wednesday.
Here's some I have washed tonight ready for packing:

And here's a photo of my 7yr old doing his big brother duties!

UPDATE: August 22, 2014

WE HAVE A BABY!!!
She came around 10.45pm last night. It was a quick delivery. Wife is doing well. We just got home now. All tired but all happy!
I have a few orders to fulfill so I will be packing them at some point this weekend and will get them sent out first thing on Monday.
Thanks for the continued support!

Update: August 20, 2014
Well.... still no baby. Wife is now 40weeks and 3 days. Pineapple has not done anything.. I took her out for an indian curry meal tonight but I doubt that will work.. so I guess s..x is next! ;P
She has a midwife appointment tomorrow so hopefully the baby will come soon after that.
One good thing about this is, though, I have still enough time to keep making rods for stock.

To let you all know as well - I am constantly looking for ways to make it more accurate so I'm trying new concepts and also trying to make my new design workable.
The money you are giving me for the rods are going back into new tools and materials to make this better - not holidays or vacations or new toys like some copycats are doing
Take care and keep flying safe! If you guys have any questions, please do contact me. I reply straight away.
I will keep you guys updated on the baby situation as well!

Update: August 15th 2014
Due date is in 2 days' time!!!
Everyone at home is excited and we're all just waiting for the baby to arrive... if she arrives on the date that is.
I have been preparing and making rods in case the baby comes so I have plenty of balancer rods for anyone ready to go.

Update: August 09th
My heavily pregnant wife helping to pack the rods - how kind of her!

August 06 Update
Just an update:
I have a new Lathe and the new balancers are a lot smoother and more polished now. I shall be uploading some photos soon.

Also, I have a new design I'll be replacing this old balancer rod with. I won't give details yet as there are people who have copied my rods already! But my new design will be the most accurate yet!

Oh - and we are just over 10 days till the baby's due date

July 23rd Update
I should have more aluminum coming hopefully by the end of this week - my supplier has messed up my order again unfortunately so I should have rods ready to mail out early next week.
On a happier note, 3 weeks to go before our new addition to the family arrives! My wife and I.. and our 7yr old son are all excited! I'm trying to get as much sleep as I can now

June 23rd Update:
I have lots of the rods already made so there should be no waiting time. Just contact me if you need one.
But that's not my latest update.. I just want to let everyone know that this afternoon is my wife's final (I think) ultrasound scan so we're both looking forward to it in just over an hour's time. And this time, I will ask them confirm the sex of the baby and make sure she's definitely a girl - the baby room is all pink now including clothes so, for the baby's sake, I hope she's a girl!

June 02nd UPDATE:
I have a few more ready made available if anyone needs it. Just PM me or email me

MAY 22nd UPDATE:
I will be away this weekend until Wednesday. For those asking for rods this coming weekend, I will be shipping yours out Thursday next week.
I will be doing my usual shipping out of rods tomorrow, Friday. Thank you again for your continued custom. Weather this weekend here in the UK is crap so no flying for me!

MAY 3RD UPDATE:
I shall be mailing rods out on Wednesday.. If anyone would like a rod, please contact me and I can include you on my list for Wednesday's shipment. Thanks and enjoy your weekend!

APRIL 25th UPDATE:
For those who are already on my list since Easter weekend, I have received my aluminum so I will be busy this weekend cutting and threading rods for you guys.
I shall be mailing rods out Tues/Wed so anyone else who are interested, just get in touch and I can include you for when I ship them out.

APRIL 16TH UPDATE:
First of all - thank you to those who have asked me to make the rods for themselves.. I really appreciate it. The extra money in my pocket helps towards...baby stuff!
We are expecting a baby girl in August.

I will be away for Easter Holiday so anyone wanting a rod, please contact me today (Wednesday) as I'll be packing and shipping rods out at 2pm GMT time - anyone who contacts me after that, I'm afraid yours will have to wait until Tuesday (April 22nd) next week.

Also - the motor balancer, I'm afraid my design is too complicated and my first try at a prototype kinda failed... I'll have to ask for expert advice next week.. so it's probably in May before I can get a fully working one...

March 31st UPDATE:
To those who have been asking me to make a balancer for the motor as well... Just to let you know I have designed one and will try and make it in the next 2 weeks to test.. and if all is good, I shall let you all know.

The new design is more complicated and a bit more work to make though but it's to ensure the most sensitive way of balancing the motor... and also prop (yep - it can be used for the prop as well)

I won't post much - until I'm ready to start making them...
If any of you are interested, just let me know on here so I know roughly how many people will be interested.

For the time being, I still have a few of the balancer rods if you guys are interested. Just drop me a line.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to make my own rod for balancing the self tightening props of the new DJI Phantoms and Vision.
If anyone is interested in buying a rod, please PM or email me: muscleflex@hotmail.com for price. Thanks

Rod has LH thread and RH thread on both ends to accommodate both types of props.
DJI Self Tightening Prop Balancer (0 min 31 sec)

I use a lathe machine to ensure the die is aligned with the rod when I cut the thread. I'm tempted to etch LH and RH on the ends of the rod but I worry it might affect the balance of the rod so I'm afraid the rods will have no markings on them.
Rod all secured:

Die in holder:

Rod greased up and Die in place. Using the lathe's drill bit (don't know what you call it) to make sure the Die is perpendicular to the rod for best alignment of the thread:

I ship them like this for protection (I hope):

muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Last edited by muscleflex; Oct 31, 2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: photo added
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2014, 05:19 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Thank you to those who contacted me about this. I should have the rods ready for shipping out by the end of this week (hopefully even by Wednesday).

If any of you fancy one, just contact me.
Thanks

Old Jan 07, 2014, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2013
9 Posts
Thanks Again for making these
arinx is offline Find More Posts by arinx
Old Jan 08, 2014, 04:06 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinx View Post
Thanks - let me know when you get yours!
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Any chance on getting one of these?
al100 is offline Find More Posts by al100
Old Jan 08, 2014, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2013
101 Posts
I am tempted to get one, but am also thinking about ditching the Phantom props and go traditional. Argh!
glee719 is offline Find More Posts by glee719
Old Jan 09, 2014, 03:40 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by al100 View Post
Any chance on getting one of these?
Hi - I should have some more done by the weekend. Send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee719 View Post
I am tempted to get one, but am also thinking about ditching the Phantom props and go traditional. Argh!
If you're gonna use the old props, then yes, you're right - you won't need this.
I was gonna use the old style props but I prefer the self tightening version because you don't even need to tighten them! And they're so easy to remove after I've done flying (I take the props off to put in the case so the props don't get squished by the foam)
Old Jan 09, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Tried a set of Vision 2 props on my Phantom today. Lots of vibration but did not balance them. Put old ones back on. Vision 2 props are really close to each other and someone said they are in their own prop wash. Don't have enough experience yet to comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee719 View Post
Old Jan 09, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Also if I understand correctly, if you switch to the regular props, you are totally depending on nuts to keep them from slipping because there isn't a flat side on motor shaft. Is that correct?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 02:15 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
^^ You could be right - I have no experience using the old props. if you ask in the main forum, I'm sure someone will tell you... but if I were you, I'd just stick to the standard ST props!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleflex View Post
Thank you to those who contacted me about this. I should have the rods ready for shipping out by the end of this week (hopefully even by Wednesday).

If any of you fancy one, just contact me.
Thanks

I would like to order two of your rods. How can I do this?
ottooo is offline Find More Posts by ottooo
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
I took one of these and it arrived quickly and well packed and works just great.

And anyone who's seen some of my posts in the threads will know what a miserable, grumpy, hard-to-please blankety blank I can be, so you can be sure if it wasn't great, I'd say so.

Buy one, especially if you're buying 'clone props'. You'll make a saving on the props which will pay for this and then keep on making savings.

It's a no brainer, really.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2013
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
And anyone who's seen some of my posts in the threads will know what a miserable, grumpy, hard-to-please blankety blank I can be, so you can be sure if it wasn't great, I'd say so.
That's for sure!

My balance rod is on it's way!
Dave Pitman is online now Find More Posts by Dave Pitman
Old Jan 12, 2014, 05:55 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
I took one of these and it arrived quickly and well packed and works just great.

Buy one, especially if you're buying 'clone props'. You'll make a saving on the props which will pay for this and then keep on making savings.

It's a no brainer, really.
Thanks Brandigan! I appreciate that! Thanks for letting me know you got yours.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 05:56 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post

My balance rod is on it's way!
Yep - should get to you by the end of this coming week (let me know next weekend if it hasn't but it should do. First guy who bought one from the states got it less than a week)