HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2004, 04:46 AM
Joined Feb 2004
6 Posts
CD-ROM : How about that little sled motor?

Much has been said done re. the spindle motor... but I'm wondering if the pickup sled servomotor in the CD-ROM drive is any use ? I have one weighing 17 gms; 10 ohms res.

Maybe it could work in a niche application, like bigger than pager motors and smaller than CD-Rom spindle motors.

Has anyone been there / done that?
Swamp Thing is offline Find More Posts by Swamp Thing
Last edited by Swamp Thing; Feb 29, 2004 at 04:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2004, 05:42 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,637 Posts
I took apart a few CD drives to get access to the brushless parts and I discovered that the ancilliary motors of which there are two, are both relatively high voltage brushed DC type which would have to be rewound with fewer turns of thicker wire to make much use of them.

Andy
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
607 Posts
If you remove the rotor and knock out the magnets you can use the case for a CD rom endbell. The cases are deep, and allow you to double stack stators You will have to mix and match stators and do a little machining but works quite well.

Wayne
Rad Racer is offline Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Mar 01, 2004, 09:51 AM
Joined Feb 2004
6 Posts
Wayne, Andy, -- Thanks for the info. I guess that motor will have to just wait in the junk box till I acquire enough skill & confidence to tackle that sort of modification!
Swamp Thing is offline Find More Posts by Swamp Thing