HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
51 Posts
Discussion
Boscam 600mw TX - Fried?

Hi guys.

I bought a cable from ebay that gives my Boscam 500mw VTX power from my lipo balance plug (3s lipo).

I plugged the vtx into the lip via this cable and couldnt figure out why it wasnt working. The fan on the vtx would not spin and no picture appeared on my monitor, but the vtx itself was getting warm.

I realised that the cable I bought was junk! The red and black wires were different from one end to the other. I chopped the cables in the middle, switched the wires over and soldered and of course it worked.

I have tested the vtx once in the air with my blade 350qx. At about 200m the picture starts to go... (using stock antenas)

Have I fried my vtx? What happens when you put positive into negative and vice versa?

Should I just bin this vtx and buy a new one?

G
gmcquet is offline Find More Posts by gmcquet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:32 AM
FL410
United States, GA, Dawsonville
Joined Sep 2013
47 Posts
Reverse polarity will likely cause failures in the TX's power supply, not the RF section. If it is transmitting, I'm betting that your reduced range is caused by the crappy stock antenna or your VTX is defective from the factory.

Are you remainig LOS and keeping the antennas parallel to each other (matching polarity)?
LJ35 is offline Find More Posts by LJ35
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ35 View Post
Reverse polarity will likely cause failures in the TX's power supply, not the RF section. If it is transmitting, I'm betting that your reduced range is caused by the crappy stock antenna or your VTX is defective from the factory.

Are you remainig LOS and keeping the antennas parallel to each other (matching polarity)?

Hi mate.

Do you wreckon I should hold onto it and get some upgraded antennas for the vtx and rx? Im using the boscam diversity monitor so it actually has two receivers.

LOS - YES.

Polarity - Dont know? :P
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:00 PM
FL410
United States, GA, Dawsonville
Joined Sep 2013
47 Posts
Here's a very nice video showing polarity and different types of antennas:

Antennas 101 - Polarization, Diversity & Gain Patterns (27 min 56 sec)

After you watch this video, heck even after the first 10 minutes, you'll know what I mean about polarization.

I'd look at it this way... Even if your TX is fried, you'll want better antennas anyway for the replacement. Might as well buy them now and test your current TX.

Really, though. Watch the video. It answers so many questions, even questions you've yet thought to ask.
LJ35 is offline Find More Posts by LJ35
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:27 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcquet View Post
Hi guys.

I bought a cable from ebay that gives my Boscam 500mw VTX power from my lipo balance plug (3s lipo).

I plugged the vtx into the lip via this cable and couldnt figure out why it wasnt working. The fan on the vtx would not spin and no picture appeared on my monitor, but the vtx itself was getting warm.

I realised that the cable I bought was junk! The red and black wires were different from one end to the other. I chopped the cables in the middle, switched the wires over and soldered and of course it worked.

I have tested the vtx once in the air with my blade 350qx. At about 200m the picture starts to go... (using stock antenas)

Have I fried my vtx? What happens when you put positive into negative and vice versa?

Should I just bin this vtx and buy a new one?

G
Consider yourself lucky for still having video signal at 200m with the stock antenas.
They must be good for lots of things but FPV is not one of them.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Nov 30, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
51 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys!

G