SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2001, 04:53 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
old futaba FP-R4H 72mhz 4ch rx legal to use?

was given a goldberg electra rtf from the son of a friend who quit flying ~8 years ago... it has 2 old futaba micro servos with male pins with |_|| spacing to them, rather than |||

also, a futaba FP-R4H 4-ch rx with female sockets with the same |_|| spacing...

first of all, the person is looking to find the remote to give to me... is it legal to use this tx/rx now? I have heard about 'narrow band' and 'gold label', but I have no idea if this tx/rx combo is up to those specs, anyone know??

also, if the rx doesn't work out, is there any problem re-wiring the servos for standard servo connectors?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2001, 04:00 PM
Dallas,TX, USA
Joined Mar 1999
834 Posts
The FP-R4H is an AM receiver and probably has "G" connectors.
The AM Tx is not legal to use unless it has been up dated to narrow band(Gold Sticker). Futaba made G to J adptors for the RX and old servos but the cost could be too much. You should add up the Rx Tx retunning coast plus all the adptors and price a new RC system to see what you would like to do.
Yours,
Dick Huang
Dick Huang is offline Find More Posts by Dick Huang
Old Dec 16, 2001, 01:22 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,000 Posts
It's a decent radio unit you've got there, being AM it's less susceptible to electrical interference from your motor system.
"Legal" is not a real problem if you are flying alone far from any organised RC activity centre.. be your own judge.. the radio police won't take you away ;-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 16, 2001, 02:21 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
the only place I've found to fly that'd be big enough for a 2m sailplane is the local flying field... and there's almost always people there flying, I wouldn't chance it... I don't want to know someone out of the sky.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 02:23 AM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
The receiver is legal to use. http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/old-receivers.html
But the transmitter is probably 10 years old and wide band. Any AM transmitter on the same channel will operate that receiver. There are no brand differences with AM. Always do a proper range check.

The servos can be wired with new plugs, or you can use adapter cables for another receiver. If those are Futaba S-33 servos, I still have some I also use. The centering is a little different on the new servos, so you have to remove and re-center the servo horns.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Dec 16, 2001, 03:42 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I'm seldom flying when noone else is around... I guess the tx/rx will be retired, i'll use the servos with new plugs in an fma quantum rx I have...

I guess the next question is, where can I buy crimp-on sockets and the housing so i can make new servo connectors for these servos? I really don't want to drop $30 on some jr wiring harness to harvest the connectors...
Old Dec 17, 2001, 12:39 PM
Dallas,TX, USA
Joined Mar 1999
834 Posts
Crimp-on scokets can be obtained from New Creations RC, Kirk Massey (936) 856-4630.
Yours,
Dick Huang
Dick Huang is offline Find More Posts by Dick Huang