HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
256 Posts
Discussion
Saito fg 11

I'm thinking of buying a FG 11cc for a project I'm building. I was looking for some feedback about the FG gas engines, If people like them or hate them. It looks very nice to me!

DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pensecola Navy Blue Angels
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
I have moved over to petrol for my larger models. Weld three of those pots together and you get the FG-33R3. I was lucky enough to grab one from my local model shop recently.

Saito engines need a little more care than other engines but they are superb.
I have read that some of the early Saito petrols had issues with carbs, this was rectified with a recall. I would say, go ahead and treat yourself. ;-)

SAITO FG-33R3搭載 Wilga (5 min 16 sec)
VinceHaworth is offline Find More Posts by VinceHaworth
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:39 AM
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined Sep 2009
91 Posts
Thats a nice running motor.Sounds nice.What Plane is that?
wallra is offline Find More Posts by wallra
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:38 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Feb 2012
256 Posts
I was thinking the FG-33R3 would be nice in a 1.20 to 1.50 size warbird. I think in next two years I may be investing in a large radial or a inline four stroke. At this point I can see paying $3500 on a Kolm. Some people may think that is crazy, but that's were the hobby is taking me.

I am going to invest in a FG-11. I have some YS 4 stroke engines, but think its time to move on to gas for all my smaller engines and I think Saito will work for me.
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pensecola Navy Blue Angels
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallra View Post
Thats a nice running motor.Sounds nice.What Plane is that?
yeah, sounds great. I am not sure who makes the model in the video but I am guessing that it is this one from TroyBuiltModels (YTinternational);
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...LGA-89AAF.html
The full size aircraft that it is based on is the Polish built PZL Wilga.
STOL / utility / parachute drop / glider tow. Quite a capable machine.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER View Post
I was thinking the FG-33R3 would be nice in a 1.20 to 1.50 size warbird. I think in next two years I may be investing in a large radial or a inline four stroke. At this point I can see paying $3500 on a Kolm. Some people may think that is crazy, but that's were the hobby is taking me.

I am going to invest in a FG-11. I have some YS 4 stroke engines, but think its time to move on to gas for all my smaller engines and I think Saito will work for me.
You will enjoy owning and running the petrol Saito's. Wise decision to move away from glow fuel, less mess. Post some updates when you get it, please!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, IL, Morton
Joined Nov 2013
8 Posts
Saito gassers

I have the fg-14b, fg-17, fg-20, and the fg-30b. They are all excellent engines but do need a little more care when tuning. Needles are very sensiitve. Yes, the fg-20 had given me some minor problems, but all is good now. I agree with the above post, no more glow for me either. I am eyeing an fg-57 and the fg-33r3 for some new projects. Let us know what you think about the fg-11.
Corvettez06 is offline Find More Posts by Corvettez06
Old Feb 04, 2014, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined May 2007
129 Posts
I'm thinking of the FG-11 for a 1/6 scale Dennis Bryant S.E.5a from Bob Holman. This is my first aircraft engine. what do you guys think? I had rc car glow engines 15 years ago, but those were tiny. Just wondering how messy these things get? - or is engine tech getting better and more efficient?

-H
Huey N is offline Find More Posts by Huey N
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:32 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
1,958 Posts
Let's add one more.
I want to put one on the balsa usa's 3ch taube.
It originally had the old style os .40 fs swinging an 11/6.
Seems to be a good test bed.
Then if it's as good as it seems, we might try it on the Sig Smith Miniplane.

Any Ideas on the right size tank?
Also thinking about using a 2k life battery and an ibec.

Nick
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bitty Stampe
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
243 Posts
Tank size would be 6-8 oz. It will run about 1/4-1/3 oz per minute. The problem with using a smaller tank is that the gas freindly fuel lines generally are pretty stiff so to get any clunk movement at all you need a decent length of tubing.

The ibec with a 2S LiFe battery will work just fine. The current draw on the ignition system is 450ma per hour at full throttle.

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Pete Bergstrom; Mar 14, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:27 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
1,958 Posts
Thanks for the info!
The flow and discharge rates are invaluable when planning up.
The nose of the taube only holds a 4oz comfortably, but a 15 minute run is luxurious for an electric flyer.
also our local hobby shop has some thin wall neoprene tubing that is *very* flexible, even for a 4 oz.
So I should have no trouble getting 3 hours of flying time per charge on the 2k life.

I'm going to have to find a forum for converting small nitro ships to gassers.

cheers!
Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:19 AM
Engine Category Manager - EVO,
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2005
243 Posts
Nick,

Just as a heads up. With Neoprene tubing you will get breakdown of the tubing after a while int he form of small little rubber bit flowing through the fuel system. If these get to the carburetor they can give you fits as for the reliability of the engine. I strongly suggest that you instal a cleanable (one that comes apart) in-line filter very close to the carb to ctah these little bits before they can get into the carb passages and ruin a days flying.

Have fun - the airplane looks great. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Pete
Pete Bergstrom is offline Find More Posts by Pete Bergstrom
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:11 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
1,958 Posts
Thanks my friend!

I just ordered the whole enchilada.

Engine, hand pump, two kinds of tubing, 2100mah life battery, ibec (not enough room in the nose of this one for two batts), *and a cleanable aluminum filter*.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Will keep y'all informed how it goes. I'm sure there are a few folks that are curious how much power we'll get from the 11.

Nick

PS, the taube pic was from the early nineties, she's a little dirtier now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:46 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey N View Post
I'm thinking of the FG-11 for a 1/6 scale Dennis Bryant S.E.5a from Bob Holman. how messy these things get? - or is engine tech getting better and more efficient?
I had a friend that had the Topflite SE5a and put an OS 61 FS surpass in it and it performed in a very scale like manner. It had a good solid climb out after a 30' takeoff run, but if you tried to hurry the climb it would stall.

I think it weighed about 6 lbs.

Saitos run at a 20 to 1 oil/gas (6.4 ounces to the gallon) mix so it will probable put a little oil mist on the plane, but nothing like the old first generation four strokes. (they were dripping after a 20 minute flight.)

and like most things, four strokes are reliable and run good *if you follow the instructions* and are careful not to get them too lean or put on a prop size not recommended, keep your fuel clean etc.
Treat them with care and they'll run great and sound great.

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:57 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,156 Posts
If you want tygon that is more flexible, try a chainsaw repair shop. Oregon brand seems to have a thinner wall and stays more flexible than the hobby shop stuff.

I use it for clunk lines only, as I figure the thicker wall of hobby shop stuff gives you a better chance is spotting chaffing hose in the external lines.
JeffinTD is online now Find More Posts by JeffinTD