SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2013, 04:50 PM
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Question
Sterling Ruffy

Anybody here ever build the Sterling Ruffy kit?

Comments welcome....
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
I've seen several Ruffies built from McFarland's plans, none from a kit. The ones I saw fly were very good, very competitive for the time. They were initially spelled "Roughie", to make a joke at Bob Palmer's expense ("Mr Smoothie"), especially regarding his namesake design.

McFarland often did such things. The original name for the Shark was the "Humbler" to play against George Aldrich's Nobler design's name.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
I've seen several Ruffies built from McFarland's plans, none from a kit. The ones I saw fly were very good, very competitive for the time. They were initially spelled "Roughie", to make a joke at Bob Palmer's expense ("Mr Smoothie"), especially regarding his namesake design.

McFarland often did such things. The original name for the Shark was the "Humbler" to play against George Aldrich's Nobler design's name.

Kiwi
Kiwi..I am grateful for your historical perspectives..and I am serious. Those are names from my youth. I am almost 62. And by the way, besides really liking and appreciating the old designs, my last name is Ruff. So it is personal.

And is it ironic that my first C/L build in 40 years is the profile Smoothie?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:18 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
Kiwi..I am grateful for your historical perspectives..and I am serious. Those are names from my youth. I am almost 62. And by the way, besides really liking and appreciating the old designs, my last name is Ruff. So it is personal.

And is it ironic that my first C/L build in 40 years is the profile Smoothie?
The first flapped stunter I had was a Guillow's Barnstormer modified to look more like the "Black Hawk" stunt, because that was what that design had been based upon. I didn't build it, but I kept the Fox 29 it came to me with, and was my first Fox of any size, about 1956. I've had a dozen of the Fox 35s since then.

I was a fan of semi-scale planes myself, and modified two Sterling Skylarks to look like fullsize planes, the Fury in one case, and another P-40 the last time.

Incidentally, Fox's own mufflers, after the very first couple of designs, are restrictive, and tend to cause the engine run at somewhat hotter levels than they run best at. Look for an aftermarket muffler with less restriction, like the one for $19.95 from Eric at RSM:

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

(Tongue Muffler)

Kiwi
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
Sterling Ruffy

Here is my Sterling Ruffy, shown less engine but is now finished and in the hanger waiting for me to fly this spring. I have only flown C/L twice in the last 50 years and got dizzy. I used to fly a lot back in the sixties. This is a kit that a friend gave me. Logair8452 Whoops!! wrong picture, post my Dolphin by mistake, see later post.
logair8452 is offline Find More Posts by logair8452
Last edited by logair8452; Dec 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: picture error
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logair8452 View Post
Here is my Sterling Ruffy, shown less engine but is now finished and in the hanger waiting for me to fly this spring. I have only flown C/L twice in the last 50 years and got dizzy. I used to fly a lot back in the sixties. This is a kit that a friend gave me. Logair8452
That is a real nice looking plane. I will try to get my Smoothie up and flying in the spring. I have not done CL in 45 years.
Old Dec 02, 2013, 04:24 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Here is my Sterling Ruffy, shown less engine but is now finished and in the hanger waiting for me to fly this spring. I have only flown C/L twice in the last 50 years and got dizzy. I used to fly a lot back in the sixties. This is a kit that a friend gave me. Logair8452
Logair, did the Sterling kit come with that landing gear? I remember the Ruffy having wing mounted "torsion bar" landing gear.

George

Edit: The plan-built Ruffy also had a built-up airfoiled rudder (flat outside, airfoil inside).
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Last edited by gcb; Dec 02, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
I won a NIB Sterling Ruffy on eBay. Should be here in a day or so. Love it. Yes it has the wing mounted landing gear.

Here is the Ruffy...

Last edited by army_eod; Dec 07, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
Sterling Ruffy

Now I am confused. I need to dig out the plan that I built my Ruffy from, as you can see in the pictures it has a fuselage mounted gear. The kit was given to me by a friend. It also had a sheet fin. Hope to post picture of plan in a few days as it's cold outside and plan is in shed. Logair8452
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
Sterling Ruffy

OK, Mystery solved. I posted the picture of my Dolphin my mistake! I'll see if I can find the right picture, sorry for the confusion. logair8452
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
Sterling Ruffy

OK, This is the Sterling Ruffy I built recently. I posted my Dolphin by mistake, so this should clear up any confusion. Logair8452
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
369 Posts
Quote:
OK, This is the Sterling Ruffy I built recently. I posted my Dolphin by mistake, so this should clear up any confusion. Logair8452

very nice...thanks for posting
Old Jun 09, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
65 Posts
I've just got hold of a kit and see it as a project for the coming winter. Any thought on an engine? The kit says 29 - 35 - and bearing in mind it is a 50s design, I had thought of using something like an OS 25FP. But most recently built ones that I have seen on the web seem to have a 40.
kiwibrit is offline Find More Posts by kiwibrit
Old Jun 09, 2014, 03:53 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibrit View Post
I've just got hold of a kit and see it as a project for the coming winter. Any thought on an engine? The kit says 29 - 35 - and bearing in mind it is a 50s design, I had thought of using something like an OS 25FP. But most recently built ones that I have seen on the web seem to have a 40.
You could probably use a Brodak 25, if you could keep the weight down. Sterlings kits always came out very heavy. I had to set aside 75% of what they included in a Skylark kit, and both of mine were right at 50 Ounces, so very unhandy with a Fox 35. If I had used an OS Max H 40, I would have been a lot happier! A Fox 35 was always rated a half hp by the factory, and I think Peter Chinn's results agreed, but torque goes with displacement .

The OS FP 25 is rev-happy, and will still want to be too fast, even with a 9-4 or a 10-4 prop on it. The only 40s I consider "friendly" on a 50" span stunt model are old ones such as a McCoy, the previously mentioned Max H, and some of the FP40 engines from OS.

Kiwi
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,477 Posts
I have the MAN issue with the Ruffy plan. IIRC, it has the wing mounted gear. When I was a kid, my older flying mentor bought an unfinished Ruffy (kit) and put a Fox 19, in it. It was the first full bodied stunter I'd ever flown, although Leo was pretty good at ringing it out. The .19 was plenty of power, even on 60' lines. Twice, Leo ran out of fuel while inverted. We were flying over pavement, and he did the tightest un-powered loop I've ever seen. The second time, he felt he didn't have the airspeed and wind so came in upside down. Scraped a flat in the cowl, ground off a portion of the windscreen and tip of the fin. It was repaired and repainted for our next Sunday's flying session. Good flying model!

As I recall the summer 1966, we flew FF early Sunday mornings, till 11o. Flew control line from2- 3o in afternoon, til about 6:30. Then it was back out to the FF field for single channel radio, until dark Usually, if we flew at all, it was still a form of FF! I built several original designs, but had little success until I put together one of Goldberg's 1/2 A Skylanes. Years later, I built the Skylane 62. Not at all the same.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit