Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
Build Log
Wee Devil powered free flight build

After building some catapult launch gliders and p-30's earlier this year i wanted to try powered free flight. The new E36 event interests me so i decided to go with an "introductory" electric powered kit. This kit is the smaller (29")of two offered by Retro-RC.com and the 36" version has proven it's mettle at the AMA FF nats the past year or two.

A couple of points about this kit and retro-rc.com products -
- i have built the whole model as if it was a jigsaw puzzle, every single piece has fit perfectly, assembled 'free-form' style, and the wing,stab, rudder have come out 100% square and true
- I built the fuselage per plan- that said because the parts fit is so exact i trimmed the interlocking tabs with a swipe of sanding block to prevent stress due to tightness bending of the fuse.
- I spent a lot of time making sure the fuse was straight and there wasn't any tightness in the parts causing the dreaded peremenant bend. Mine turned out 99% straight and true with only about 1/16" off center alignment at the stab- thats good enough.
- wing halfs are joined with 1/16 wing wires through a pylon, i waited until the fuse was done and wing 99% done to do final wire joiner tubes and joiner alignement and final glue down. Again the alignment of the wings was excellent with no washin or wash out.
- This kit has all the bits and pieces to complete it, tissue, tubing, wire, DT cord, etc..... - one only needs a cox peewee .020 or electric motor/time/lipo to make it ready to fly. I am really impressed by this kit makers products.

As of today all the building has finished and the tissue covering was started late this afternoon. So far i would estimate about 12 hours has gone into this build with another 2 hours remaining for covering and another 2 to setup and test the final phase - the electric portion of the build.

Hopefully i can at least hand toss it by Friday - more to follow, i promise, john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Nov 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Hi John

Looks good! Did you decide what kind of power? Keep us posted .

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2013, 08:15 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
WeeDevil powertain

Hi Norm.

Good to hear from you and thanks again for sponsoring the 'Ike' in February, that is part of the reason i am doing this build.
To answer the question it is an electric motor with a 10amp HK esc. The only gasser motor i have left is a Cox Texaco 1/2 engine that hid from me, probably fearing for its life
Progress so far -

- Monday the uncovered airframe weight was 53 grams.
- Tuesday the tissue was layed on and shrunk for all surfaces.
- Wednesday i put 2~3 coats of 50/50 Brodak nitrate on all the tissue and covered/doped weight is now 58 grams.
This is about the same wight gain for my p30's
- Wednesday the HK electric motor/esc/timer/servo weight is 35 grams but more is expected with the 2s lipo/prop/prop-hub assy.

* good news - 'he can be taught!!' - i figured out how to setup the timer and make it work. I had the bmjr.com StoneAge e-36 timer for awhile and was kind of dreading this part of the build.

As it turns out with most things if one reads the manual twice,hooks it up, tests each of the two functions one at a time = it all turns out good and works as advertised. Just press one button after battery power is applied and when that button (pb1)released the motor goes to 100%. .

I still need to get a small toggle switch so i can hook up the 2s lipo to the time and *then* turn on the timer. The power on time has now been adjusted for 4 seconds and dt for @ 8 seconds. Out of the box it is ready to go with settings of 15seconds full power and 2 minutes for DT server(servo when activated goes from neutral to 90 degrees back to neutral - enough to release the dt release arm.
The project is getting closer to hand glide, this StoneAge timer setup and test was 100% new to me and i am glad it worked.

More to follow

Pictures of powertrain testing tonight -
Last edited by jswain; Nov 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:11 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
pruning and soldering wires..

Today's work was installing the stoneage timer (in the best fitting position) on the left side so it was easily seen with a right handed launch.

Esc wires were trimmed and resoldered into shorter lengths and each step was retested so i didn't get to far along with botched solder joint or other misstep.

Its easier to take one step forward, test, and go back if needed....

I don't think i will make the pie-in-the-sky hand glide tests this weekend and thats ok. It slows down the build and decision making process so mistakes made at home don't result in a canceled flying test after driving all the way to the field..

All considered i only have to secure the esc, somehow secure the 2s 350mah lipo, decide to use fuse dt or make a small 'quick' DT viscous timer for testing( poor planning on my part has left me wondering how to mount the DT servo thus the fuse DT option is in play), and tissue cover some or all the fuse.

All up weight so far is 127grams so maybe the low 130's are possible......

js
Last edited by jswain; Nov 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:25 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
That looks nice- been kicking around something like that for RC. Don't have a decent FF field anywhere close- and this is a more convenient size than the Goldberg Viking I've got lying around.

Thanks,

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:18 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
your correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe View Post
That looks nice- been kicking around something like that for RC. Don't have a decent FF field anywhere close- and this is a more convenient size than the Goldberg Viking I've got lying around.Thanks,Sam
Hi Sam.
retro-rc sells this as either a freeflight or 3ch rc model.

Here is the web link to the rc kit and link to youtube video.

Today was the first time since Thanksgiving week to work on it and it is almost done.

best wishes, john s.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 03:59 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
John,
It looks great! And beautiful workmanship as always.
This design reminds me of a Kerswap a bit. Good luck with trimming!!

JohnC
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Dec 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Hi John

Thanks for the link. As an FYI- I've already ordered some kits from this company- discovered that the Phantom Flash (the 15" version) is not really kid friendly- didn't come with full size plans. Figured I'd try some of his stuff for me...I like the aesthetics of this one.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:11 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
My Wee-Devil is sitting in a box, about 75% done. I gotta figure out how to be more gentle with the wing. I keep breaking the spars!
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Feb 01, 2014, 01:57 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,180 Posts
that makes two of us :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsight View Post
My Wee-Devil is sitting in a box, about 75% done. I gotta figure out how to be more gentle with the wing. I keep breaking the spars!
Mine is completely done, a couple weeks ago in fact, but either high winds or work have conspired lately to keep the WeeDevil in its anti-hanger rash storage box too

Now its rain and breezy this weekend....

Keep at the build, john s.