HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:18 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
For those who still havn't had enough talk about the Iraq war

I don't really want to talk about it but I need a place to send people who are trying to side track another thread.

IMO the reasons givin for going to war with Iraq were not the real reasons.

I believe the real reasons had to do with oil and money.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:20 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
And I believe that John Kerry is the Easter Bunny.

I guess that makes both of us wrong

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Feb 27, 2004, 05:45 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Then it must have been because he made his Daddy lose the election....lol

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:16 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Oil and money. Nothing more. Hey...riddle me this...if it was about "liberating" Iraq, how come the first place we secured was not, say, a prison in Baghdad where political prisoners were about to be executed, but the oil wells? Seriously...the first thing that happened in that war was our special forces quietly crossed the border and secured the OIL WELLS.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by easytiger
Oil and money. Nothing more. Hey...riddle me this...if it was about "liberating" Iraq, how come the first place we secured was not, say, a prison in Baghdad where political prisoners were about to be executed, but the oil wells? Seriously...the first thing that happened in that war was our special forces quietly crossed the border and secured the OIL WELLS.
From a Canadian view...

When I heard on the news what easytuger said, ie first thing the Americans secured was the oil, I though well, George Screwed up. I know others thought the same thing.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Whilst I tend to agree that the war was over oil and money, I dont see the troops securing the oil wells first as any proof. In Bush War 1 the Iraqi's set fire to many hundreds of wells, creating smoke screens making bombing and flying missions more difficult, drawing out the conflict and I guess of more concern, causing massive polution.
By securing wells early in the war, they ensured the troops a swift operation without the smoke screens, therefore good tactics, and stopped a lot of wasted oil resources or polution again a good move.

JMHO

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:04 PM
boo!!
Dallas(metro), TX
Joined Nov 2003
131 Posts
It is not like the first thing they had access to was the prisons.
Decrash is offline Find More Posts by Decrash
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Oil and money? Personal attack removed by moderator. ...

I don't know how anyone can look back at the history of the whole thing, see how most everyone believed he was a threat, and cast it all aside for what is possibly the silliest conspriacy theory I have ever heard.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Last edited by Don Sims; Feb 29, 2004 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:49 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Reference to Personal attack removed by moderator.
You don't need to be that way. Talk like that is gonna get us closed down.
Last edited by Don Sims; Feb 29, 2004 at 07:38 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
You never know... What get's things shut down seems kinda random nowadays...

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:53 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I think the reason was simpler. There was general antipathy towards Saddam and the administration merely realised it could.
The wmd excuse, as Wolfowitz admitted, was the most administatively expedient justification. I don't believe that at first the govt wished to involve the UN but allowed itself to be persuaded (Blair's price for support?) The oil was no more than an accounting justification; its revenues being used to offset the cost.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:20 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
but...but....Saddam wanted to kill my Daddddyyyyyyyy.....
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:38 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
You never know... What get's things shut down seems kinda random nowadays...

Paul
No, not really. Saying that Personal attack removed by moderator. because you don't like what they are saying is pretty clear cause for getting shut down, dontcha think? Personal attack removed by moderator.

Back to topic....

No, not "everybody" beleived he was a threat. That was just George Bush and a handful of people. The rest of the world was pretty sure that the ten years of UN Weapons Inspections had worked, and that all the WMDs were gone. The world was RIGHT, as we did not find a THING, and GWB was wrong. Don't kid yourself into thinking "everybody beleived he was a threat". It's just not reality.
Don't tell me "oh, well he was a bad dude anyway"...if the cops faked a murder charge against you, broke down your door with a battering ram and teargas, then found an old roach in your couch cushions, held it up and said "see! He's a baaaaaaaad dude!", what would you say? I'd say, at any rate, that is NOT the AMERICAN WAY of doing things.
We actually managed to DEstabilize the region. Things are a serious mess. Bush Senior did not drive all the way to Baghdad because he was afraid of the vaccum that would be left when Saddam was gone...he was much smarter than his son.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Last edited by Don Sims; Feb 29, 2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 07:12 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by easytiger
Short memory you have their, EasyTiger.

What was one of the first things the Iraqis did un Kuwait when we crossed the border? Lit the wells on fire.

Hundreds of Greespeace types had strokes.

So this time, the U.S. prevented this environmental disaster. Only to be criticized for it.

More to the point, the smoke from the fires in Gulf War I hampered air operations. Sound tactical move to prevent a repeat.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Feb 29, 2004, 04:18 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Me thinks its possible that BOTH Matt and easy are both correct at the same time. There were many good reasons to secure the oil fields including: Environmental disaster, tactical move, money, and (of course) oil.