HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:05 PM
Trophy Club Texas
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Is a flight simulator worth it? Can I do 3D

Just wondering before I spend the $200 dollars on a flight sim if they are worth it. I have played with FMS and feel that it is OK but, the flight dynamics are still hokey. If I spend the $$$$ on Real Flight or some other commercial flight sim how real in terms of flight modeling are they? Can I perform 3D with it etc....??? Does my transmitter work including Expo/Dual Rates/Mixing etc...

Thanks for any help.

Paul
picasso is offline Find More Posts by picasso
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:37 PM
MT pockets
United States, NJ, West Milford
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Hey Paul !
Real flight G2 is well worth the money. You can do 3D and just about whatever else you want to do. With the controler it's feels just like flying a real model, but when you crash you just restart and continue flying.
I bought it to practice for helicopters. I had a heli years before after crashing once I was always nervous flying afterwards. When I wanted to get back into helis I bought the sim. Practiced flying. When I finally flew the real model I had a lot more confidence and my skills advanced quickly. If you want to try something new use the sim first till you get it down pat. If you crash your not out a plane or heli.
You can also use your own controler. Which helps to get you use to your own radio. It comes with the cable for Futaba. You can buy a cable for Air. or JR radios as well. I'm not sure about other brands of radios.

Hope this helps
Doug
doug6952 is offline Find More Posts by doug6952
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:44 PM
Trophy Club Texas
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Doug. That is just the info I was looking for. I was afraid that I would lay down the $200 dollars and then be stuck with an unrealistic PC game and I already have plenty of those. Thanks again.....

Paul
picasso is offline Find More Posts by picasso
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:14 PM
MT pockets
United States, NJ, West Milford
Joined Feb 2004
296 Posts
Your welcome. I wasn't sure about getting it at first either. I talked with someone at my LHS about it and he said it helps and it does. Good luck with it.
doug6952 is offline Find More Posts by doug6952
Old Feb 29, 2004, 07:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
I'd recommend Reflex instead of RealFlight G2. In addition to better physics, it looks much better than RealFlight G2. Go to here for a demo video of the new Reflex XTR.

You will need DivX 5 to play the videos.
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Last edited by gregw; Feb 29, 2004 at 07:57 PM.