HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2001, 06:19 PM
American Fork, UT
Joined Dec 2001
159 Posts
Next Plane after Tiger Moth?

Hi, I need some tips or information on my next plane purchase. I have owned a TigerMoth for several months and have gotten to the point where it's almost too easy to fly (and boring, doh!), and I'm looking for something still somewhat easy to fly, but more exciting.

I'm looking at the Crazy Sparrow, Sukhoi, or Simprop CAP 231 - but other plane recommendations are welcome (I prefer to have them *look* like a plane). I am completely new to flying with ailerons (and with SPEED for that matter) but it's something I really want to learn. Any of these planes easier to fix than others?

Last one: Can someone recommend motor/gearbox/batteries to get? I just want something that performs really well, and runtime is extremely important too. Thanks in advance!
VortexOfPain is offline Find More Posts by VortexOfPain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2001, 07:27 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Welcome to the Ezone.

If you can wait a few weeks, wait until GWS brings out their
new Zero or A10 warthog.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Dec 12, 2001, 07:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Pls check GWS web site

http://www.gws.com.tw/english.htm

Next avalible will be "Zero" and "Beaver". ZERO is easy to fly, but with ailreon, also can do some aerobatic if you wish to do so.

Since we gave USA didtributor samples many weeks ago, the test result come back last Friday to say OK! They have too many others to try?

Pls wait for a while. Keep asking Horizon's dealers, and them they will place order quicker.

Our UK distributor ( J. Perkin) is by far more active than USA "BIG COMPANY", but not suggest to buy from UK for USA flyers.

Sorry for so long delayed due to the flood, GWS had a great damage and lost. However, we recover very quick. Still have a lot back-orders not been finished.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Dec 12, 2001, 09:13 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here we go again! Horizon is holding us back.

Just read a post yesterday about someone else's LHS who Horizon wouldn't sell to because the business and home address were the same. How do some of the others do it? My favorite shop is in the same boat. Luckily, we can get a lot of GWS producs private labeled by Wattage, through Global at reasonable prices.

GWS needs to sell direct to the dealers in the US. Horizon is holding us, the consumers, back!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 12, 2001, 10:18 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I agree 100%. Seems a shame to have customers wanting GWS planes and not getting them. I can understand a delay due to a flood but if it is a distributer just holding out, that is a different story.

I'm starting to like the Wattage Crazy Max more and more. I have the 2002 Wattage catalog and they are coming out with some neat stuff. GWSCEO, I hope you are reading this: I'd rather buy the A-10 but???
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Dec 13, 2001, 01:32 AM
Mike Swan
Oroville, California, United States
Joined Oct 2000
372 Posts
Ask them where its at.http://www.horizonhobby.com/support/listen.asp im waiting for responce.
kit basher is offline Find More Posts by kit basher
Old Dec 13, 2001, 11:07 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
756 Posts
Kit Basher
Thanks for the link,I just mailed them a comment on all GWS products and I hope everyone that uses Mr.Lin's products will do the same.
steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old Dec 13, 2001, 11:59 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Horizon Hobby is BAD! they are VERY bad ! They are more interested in promoting their Firebirds than getting us what we want !WAAAH! They must be smited and GWS needs to bring a warehose here to the USA and distribute to dealers AND online consumers. Under DNA's diplomatic tutelage, I am ready to rise up to the challenge of making GWS USA operations a great success. Thank you thank you and now for the BIG SALE!!! Nice Dreams. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Dec 14, 2001, 01:58 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Vortex,

Sorry but this thread seems to have gotten a little off topic.

Maybe you could do a search for crazy sparrow, sukhoi or cap
to find the answer to your original question.

They have been discussed before.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Dec 14, 2001, 10:18 AM
American Fork, UT
Joined Dec 2001
159 Posts
Well, from the sounds of it I may just go with the Crazy Sparrow, since it already has a 280 engine/gearbox combo (according to TowerHobbies). A few more questions though (I'm completely new to this), can I upgrade this later to a bigger engine - say a speed 400?

I just want something that is the best combination of climb/performance/and most important - battery runtime. What "maH" does everyone run for park flyers?

I just upgraded my tiger moth batteries from 7 cell 150 NiCd's to 6 cell NiMH 280 packs - and what a difference. My average flight times are 20 to 25 minutes (maybe living in the Rockies makes a difference?) instead of 5 or 6. And boy can that T.M. get unbelievably high!

But anyways - back to my question - what is the maximum capacity cells (I'm thinking 8 cell packs) that will fit in the Crazy Sparrow??
VortexOfPain is offline Find More Posts by VortexOfPain