HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:42 AM
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
first time sturdyboard build questions

I'm about to attempt to build a plane with studyboard for the first time. I'm thinking a SlowStick type of plane. I'll be using the electronics out of my Zagi FIXX for power.

Not having done anything like this before how should I start? How do I know how big the wing should be? I'm thinking I can just guesstimate the fuse length and tail group size based on the wing size, then adjust the CG by repositioning the electronic components? Are there any online plans that can give me at least a starting point?

Also any tips on the use of sturdy board? Which is best white or black? Are there any good online resources detailing construction with this stuff?

I've thought about an UP type plane, though I'm not sure I'm ready to fly it. How do I know how big it should be for the power system I'm planning on using?

Any hits, tips, or suggestion would be appreciated.

Mike
manderson is offline Find More Posts by manderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:49 AM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Hi Mike ....you may want to check the foamies section....those guys are great and there is alot of information to be found
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Feb 27, 2004, 01:22 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
I did one based on Az Chuck SoSlo2 plans, but needed to add winglets to make it flyable.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Feb 27, 2004, 01:35 PM
* iStar & PinkStar *
Joined Oct 2001
750 Posts
Hi, Mike,

There are a lot of good information and ideas of this SturdyBoard in the Foamie forum, as suggested by TooTall. I incorporated/borrowed many of them in designing and constructing my SturdyBoard Pattern ParkFlyer . Hope that discussion thread will help your design.

But feel free to ask more questions here if you cannot find answers!

Regrads,

Martin
MartinChou is offline Find More Posts by MartinChou
Old Feb 27, 2004, 01:46 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2001
413 Posts
Mike,

You may want to check out a website called Fly electric. They have a couple really good designs including the "and_now" and the "nutta", that I have built using sturdyboard.

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/

-Drew
Drewmotion is offline Find More Posts by Drewmotion
Old Feb 27, 2004, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
Martin,

Thanks for the link. I've seen that thread before but didn't take the time to read through it and had forgotten about it. There's so much to read.

Drew,

I've just located that site and am interested in the "and now".

I have a couple of sheets soaking now,

Mike
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:03 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2001
413 Posts
Mike,

I've built them both the "and_now" and the "nutta", and I think you should just start out with the Nutta, it's a better flying plane, much more aerobatic. I could never get the and now to roll very well. Either way though you'll have fun with an easy to build $5 plane.

-Drew
Drewmotion is offline Find More Posts by Drewmotion
Old Feb 27, 2004, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to build the "nutta" after reading the description. I've flown for a while but quite sporatically and am not what I'd consider an advanced flyer.

Can it be tamed down for an "intermediate" pilot?

Mike
Old Feb 27, 2004, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
After soaking the sheet for a bit, removing the top layer of paper, then soaking some more how do you remove the rest of the paper?

I read in another thread the idea of spraying the rest off with the garden hose. Is this what most people do?

Mike
Old Feb 27, 2004, 05:09 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Rub the surface gently while it's still wet, and you get the leftover paper and glue to roll under your fingers. Makes a heck of a mess, rinse periodically until it's smooth as a baby's butt.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Feb 27, 2004, 05:13 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Mike--lots of 'elbow grease'...your hands will be raw, but just rub away, and it will roll off.

As for your design questions, there are so many things to consider. But to get started, you're doing the right thing--FREE plans! Another way is to find a plane that is similar to what you are looking for (weight, performance, etc) and build something close to it. Get close enough, and it will fly.

-Scott
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2004
124 Posts
Okay, I just depapered my first piece of sturdyboard. Not too bad.

I soaked it for about an hour, then removed the shiny part of the paper. Then soaked it again for a while. Then did the real work. I started rubbing in the bathtub with the soak water still in it so I could rinse periodically.

The first tip I found was that the side of my tub is flat and if I rubbed the board against it while wet it stayed in place nicely.

My second tip comes from when my hand started to get sore from rubbing and I picked up a wash rag and used it. It worked very nicely. The only problem I encountered was that the washrag diminshed my feel while rubbing the foam and I made very minor gouges. Not enough to be a problem but I'll have tobe more careful in the future.

But my next question is how to clean the tub out? Most of the small pieces that fell into the water expaned and turned back into pulp which was impossible to pick up. I put a piece of screen of the drain to try to get most of the pulp but this caughtthe pulp for 5 seconds and quit draining. So most of the pulp-water went down the drain. This shouldn't be a problem should it? Then I picked up what I could and rinsed the rest down the drain.

Well, I guess if I have time tonight I might pull down the nutta plans and cut some foam.

The nutta calls for carbon rods almost throughout. Can I safely substitute balsa/spruce for spares and such?

Mike