HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:00 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old timer 1 View Post
Yep, you are right my friend.
Can you tell me, was it Ben Buckle who gave the larger version the name Majestic Major?
I think so.
I used to have an annual long chat with Ben, at Old Warden. I don't remember ever discussing the specific point of the name, but there was never any mention of anyone else being involved.
Some of Ben's "own version" plans (the scale-ups) were actually drawn up for him by friends, but the vast majority of his plans are just copies of the originals.
The size of the MM was determined by the fact that 1.414 (sq. root of 2) was the greatest enlargement factor possible with the old generation of photocopiers. Then Ben just added a few specific notes and necessary mods (wood sizes), etc.
Ben was a great character. The Brit (and World) vintage flying scene owes him so much. I actually learned to fly RC on my own mainly by reading Ben's magazine articles and applying his advice, and there must be very many others like me... His advice was always good and always common sense... Not to mention all the old planes that he brought to our knowledge...
OT1, your original post is a good example... you learned it through Ben...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2013, 01:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2006
12 Posts
Took the bait

Hey all I purchased this model recently and have assembled and flown it. Pros: looks good and flies well, cons: a bit heavy, landing gear are not aesthetically pleasing with that center bar, the foam is brittle. This model does not need ailerons! Overall I'm happy with it as I plan to use it to teach my son to fly basic RC and it was quick to assemble with minimal loss if he crashes it. Unlike balsa...
stratostreaker is online now Find More Posts by stratostreaker
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 01:48 PM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Model Airplane News reviewed the Junior. I haven't switched to 2.4 GHz yet. Those Orange HobbyKing radios look interesting.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 03:11 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
I haven't switched to 2.4 GHz yet. Those Orange HobbyKing radios look interesting.
I have ten of the 6 channel Orange Rxs, use them in conjunction with a Futaba FF8 Tx with a 2.4 module and I can only say that the eight which are currently in models have performed faultlessly. Great value for money.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 03:32 PM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I have ten of the 6 channel Orange Rxs, use them in conjunction with a Futaba FF8 Tx with a 2.4 module and I can only say that the eight which are currently in models have performed faultlessly. Great value for money.
Thanks Sundancer.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 03:32 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Oct 2011
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
I think so.
I used to have an annual long chat with Ben, at Old Warden. I don't remember ever discussing the specific point of the name, but there was never any mention of anyone else being involved.
Some of Ben's "own version" plans (the scale-ups) were actually drawn up for him by friends, but the vast majority of his plans are just copies of the originals.
The size of the MM was determined by the fact that 1.414 (sq. root of 2) was the greatest enlargement factor possible with the old generation of photocopiers. Then Ben just added a few specific notes and necessary mods (wood sizes), etc.
Ben was a great character. The Brit (and World) vintage flying scene owes him so much. I actually learned to fly RC on my own mainly by reading Ben's magazine articles and applying his advice, and there must be very many others like me... His advice was always good and always common sense... Not to mention all the old planes that he brought to our knowledge...
OT1, your original post is a good example... you learned it through Ben...

You seem to be a guy with a lot of knowledge regarding the vintage models and their history.
In that case I'd like to see if you can confirm some information I have. It's about the origins of some famous manufacturers names
To my knowledge the name Kailcraft comes from the surname of one of the original partners Eddie Kail. The name Veron (another great old kit manufacturer) comes from Veronica, the wife of one of the partners
Is that correct?
Old timer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Old timer 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 03:49 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old timer 1 View Post
You seem to be a guy with a lot of knowledge regarding the vintage models and their history.
In that case I'd like to see if you can confirm some information I have. It's about the origins of some famous manufacturers names
To my knowledge the name Kailcraft comes from the surname of one of the original partners Eddie Kail. The name Veron (another great old kit manufacturer) comes from Veronica, the wife of one of the partners
Is that correct?
Essentially correct, but the company name was KeilKraft and the guys name was Eddie Keil, his brother Ronnie was also involved in the company. You are right about the origins of the Veron name. There are other interesting UK kit manufacturer's names too. Frog originated from the initial letters of Flys Right Off (the) Ground which was the advertising tag line for an early model. Skyleada is pretty obvious, but I don't know why Henry J Nicholls chose Mercury for his kit range - the logo was a nice decal of the winged messenger of that name but can anyone say where the name came from?
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 04:20 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Oct 2011
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Essentially correct, but the company name was KeilKraft and the guys name was Eddie Keil, his brother Ronnie was also involved in the company. You are right about the origins of the Veron name. There are other interesting UK kit manufacturer's names too. Frog originated from the initial letters of Flys Right Off (the) Ground which was the advertising tag line for an early model. Skyleada is pretty obvious, but I don't know why Henry J Nicholls chose Mercury for his kit range - the logo was a nice decal of the winged messenger of that name but can anyone say where the name came from?

Thanks so much my friend.
It is true what they say "The more you know, the more you realize how little you know"...
Never knew the origin of FROG and now I'm keen to learn where Mercury came from. I'm sure someone out there has the answer.
Cheers
Old timer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Old timer 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 05:07 PM
Registered User
RyanNX211's Avatar
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I have ten of the 6 channel Orange Rxs, use them in conjunction with a Futaba FF8 Tx with a 2.4 module and I can only say that the eight which are currently in models have performed faultlessly. Great value for money.
The DSM2 version had fewer complaints than the old AR500
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
... but I don't know why Henry J Nicholls chose Mercury for his kit range - the logo was a nice decal of the winged messenger of that name but can anyone say where the name came from?
HJN designed the first British RC system which he contracted to be manufactured by Cossor with the name Mercury Cossor. Presumably the name Mercury was chosen because he was the patron god of messages (as well as a number of other things). A few years later HJN expanded his interests & founded Mercury Model Aircraft in 1948.
HJN was very talented as can be learned from his obituary in the Daily Telegraph.

Another oldish British model company is Ripmax. Their name is an combination from the names of the founders - CA Rippon & Max Coote.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 06:21 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Oct 2011
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc View Post
HJN designed the first British RC system which he contracted to be manufactured by Cossor with the name Mercury Cossor. Presumably the name Mercury was chosen because he was the patron god of messages (as well as a number of other things). A few years later HJN expanded his interests & founded Mercury Model Aircraft in 1948.
HJN was very talented as can be learned from his obituary in the Daily Telegraph.

Another oldish British model company is Ripmax. Their name is an combination from the names of the founders - CA Rippon & Max Coote.

Hey you guys are wonderful source of information, great stuff!
Reading your comments reminds me of old companies like Solarbo, balsa wood seller, and old products like the OS Pixie, one of the first radio systems using escapements before proportional gear and servos...
Old timer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Old timer 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:34 PM
Havin FUN
Gonnacrash's Avatar
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
Old timer 1,

OS Pixie !! man I have many many hours airtime S/C with one of those,
wouldn't mind have a good working one ! Lots of fun it was in a 48" or
so "SPOOK".

Don - Basehor, Ks
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2013, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Oct 2011
599 Posts
[QUOTE=Gonnacrash;26787677]Old timer 1,

OS Pixie !! man I have many many hours airtime S/C with one of those,
wouldn't mind have a good working one ! Lots of fun it was in a 48" or
so "SPOOK".

Don - Basehor, Ks[/QUOTE

Ahhhhh, the ol' Spook. What a gorgeous model!
I had a 72" recently converted to electric, was MAGNIFICENT, until I got carried away, pulled a too tight turn and broke a wing in flight. R.I.P.
I'll hunt around for some photos
Old timer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Old timer 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2013, 01:03 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Oct 2011
599 Posts
Here is my Spook
Before and after it's last flight.....
Old timer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Old timer 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2013, 07:03 AM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
The DSM2 version had fewer complaints than the old AR500
Are you guys talking strictly receivers? How do people like the OrangeRx T-SIX transmitter? I don't own a 2.4 GHz transmitter either, and its only $65.


Edit: Well, if this 73 page thread is any indication, people like it.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Last edited by Trisquire; Dec 02, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Durafly Retro Series 1100mm Junior Justwingit Parkflyers 110 Nov 15, 2014 09:54 PM
Discussion Hobby Kings NEW Pioneer retro series pommie Electric Warbirds 613 May 13, 2014 06:30 PM
News Durafly Retro Series - Junior Jason Cole Parkflyers 24 Nov 25, 2013 06:45 AM
Sold ** H/King The Retro Series - Pioneer NIB ** Sammy70 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 22, 2012 05:34 AM