SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:18 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
Transfering plan on to the foam

Hi again,

I am going to start building a profile foam flier.
I'd like to know how you guys transfer the plan detail on to the foam?
This is my first time building from scratch and i do not have a clue.

Any suggestions? and yes i am new

Ken
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:26 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Make a copy of the plan and then lightly spray the back of the plan with a spray adhesive like Duro or 3M. Let it dry a little then stick it to the foam and cut out the parts. Peel the plan off the parts after cutting.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
ok...that was easy
now where am i gonna photo such a huge plan...
TIme to find a printer
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:06 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Kinkos has large printers to print off plans for around $5.00. Do you care to share what plans your building from.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Feb 27, 2004, 04:34 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kennyc
ok...that was easy
now where am i gonna photo such a huge plan...
TIme to find a printer
For a large plan I just scan it in a section at a time. Most of the parts will print on standard size paper. For parts longer than 11" I just print them out on a couple of sheets and tape them together for cutting.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Feb 27, 2004, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
I am planning to build a 3DX from foamyfactory they have it for download.

www.foamyfactory.com.

thanks to everyone for their help. gonna try cutting the plane out tomorrow
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:44 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Permit me to say so, but that is a VERY, VERY, VERY bad idea for a learning plane. I am currently working on making my first plane, and even with one of the most tried-and-true designs out there, FoamFly's Frog, it still relentlessly crashes.
A better idea would be FoamFly's Frog or OvalGuy's BirdDog. Both run on inexpensive Pico gear, and are easy to fly. I am working on a Frog myself, and reccomend it to newbies to the hobby everywhere. A bit of CF is a good idea for the tail boom and wing leading edge, though.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Mar 02, 2004, 02:34 PM
Blucor Fanfold Fan
Tampa
Joined Jul 2003
86 Posts
Download the tiled version. It will print out on standard 8x11 sheets of paper and you then tape all the sheets together. It is easy.

As Cheesehead said though....It is not a beginner's plane. If you are set on going this direction - I would recommend that you find someone that can help you trim it out and teach you to fly. A buddy box would drastically increase your chances. (it is smart to have someone help with a beginner's plane also!)
cwat212 is offline Find More Posts by cwat212
Old Mar 02, 2004, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwat212
Download the tiled version. It will print out on standard 8x11 sheets of paper and you then tape all the sheets together. It is easy.

As Cheesehead said though....It is not a beginner's plane. If you are set on going this direction - I would recommend that you find someone that can help you trim it out and teach you to fly. A buddy box would drastically increase your chances. (it is smart to have someone help with a beginner's plane also!)
Thanks everyone for their very thougtful advice.
I am currently learning to fly using a Slow stick, Am only building this foamy model only evenings as it looks easy to build and cheap to repair as long as it does not damage the electronics.
After this i probably would start building a balsa model. is it a good idea? and Is it really that drastic to fly?
Old Mar 03, 2004, 09:21 AM
Blucor Fanfold Fan
Tampa
Joined Jul 2003
86 Posts
You are on the right track starting with the slowstick. Now that you have said that, all advice and opinions will change.

Build a foamy and give it a shot as soon as you are comfortable with all aspects of the slowstick. The foam 3D planes fly very well. They are just different than the Slowstick type planes. You have it right though - if you crash it you can fix it or build another for only a few dollars. The plane will survive minor crashes and the electronics usually survive crashes that total the plane.

Go for it! Welcome to the addiction! Keep the rates low at first.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 09:28 AM
Blucor Fanfold Fan
Tampa
Joined Jul 2003
86 Posts
Do a search on Prop Savers.....

It will save you alot of money on props. They work well.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
thanks cwat,

I think i did pretty well on the SS,
let me express some of my harrowing experience,

the SS was flying well a couple of times, but i read about situating the battery under the CG so that i can swap different types of batt, checked the CG it all looked fine but when i flew it later the day, it was well to tail heavy and the SS was doing continuos loops it must have done like 15-20 loops maybe more! , (could not get control coz of the looping.) I panic-ed a little trying to steer the bird back. Started running toward where the plane was while trying to gain control as it was getting to far away to see the orientation and it was going towards a construction site. then i thought just calm down, you play enough computer games to get this under control, finally I kept the elevator permanently(forward stick) down and glide it back down, cut the throttle. breathed a sigh of relief... no damage except that the SS looks like its dihedral seems to have increased. Wow i did not build my SS to take those punishment but it did. thank goodness.

Do you guys think i should build the birddog instead?

Thanks
Ken
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:32 AM
Got CAD ?
Canada
Joined Mar 2004
689 Posts
I bought a box of 100 file folders cheap at Office Depot and cut them up to make 8.5x14 (LEGAL) size paper. Look in the box before you buy to make sure it is nice paper. Some paper is recycled and has lots of dots on it. By cutting them in half you end up with 200 sheets of paper!

If the plan is on your computer as an image file you can print pieces of it from Photoshop or another program. My Epson 777 has printed on alot of file folders and still works great.

Cut out the templates with a knife or scissors and lay them on the foam. Trace around the plan with an ultra fine felt tip marker (Sharpie) and then cut out the foam with a knife. You want to cut just on the inside of the line to remove the black ink. If you cut on the outside of the line you will be making your parts bigger.
A scroll saw works great for thicker foam sheets.
PLANE FREAK is offline Find More Posts by PLANE FREAK