Old Dec 12, 2001, 04:54 PM
Liquid Fuel Rocket Engine
Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe
Joined Nov 2001
156 Posts
Question
Using Wingo as indoor flyer?

Hi

Has anyone used the Wingo as an indoor flyer?

I've got access to a football field size hall, and I want to bring the Wingo next wednesday.

Today there was everything from Picosticks to Zagis flying around, pretty wild.

JJ
JensJakob68 is offline Find More Posts by JensJakob68
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2001, 05:35 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
If a zagi can fly there a wingo certainly can.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Dec 12, 2001, 08:01 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,462 Posts
JJ,

We have flown 3 Wingo's at a time in a hall about 1/4 that size. It was fun ! When things get that tight, you need to watch for prop wash from other planes !!

Also, I read a thread about someone using the GWS pico stick setup (motor, esc, batts, and servos I guess) for a semi- true indoor Wingo. He replaced the wire landing gear with a carbon rod, but not sure of what else.

Enjoy,
Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Dec 13, 2001, 09:28 AM
Joined Nov 2001
156 Posts
Thnx

Thank you all for info.

Next wednesday I will bring the Wingo to the indoor flight, and see what it'll be like.

Picosticks, watch out for Wingo wake ;-)) (I am flying 9x5 prop.)

JJ
Old Dec 13, 2001, 10:12 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Wow an indoor Wingo.
If the halls size can handle a Zagi it certianly is large enough for your Wingo.
I would love to try indoor flying.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Dec 13, 2001, 02:03 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
JJ, are you going to take som indoor aerial photos too?

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Dec 13, 2001, 02:09 PM
Joined Nov 2001
156 Posts
Photo

Hi Mike

I can guess that you've visitited zorck.dk/rc and seen the aerial photoes. I would really like to do that in Finland, btw. At Helsinki and Jyväskula, it could be quite nice.

Yes, I would like to take some indoor aerial photoes. My camera has a blitz, so it might just work. I will try. Only worry that I have is the added weight.

When I fly with the camera I do not fly the most smooth flying, rather:
Full power climb in circles, gain height, make a straight for the photo shoot, dive fast, come in for a fast! landing with the added weight, try to make the landing as smooth as possible.

Indoor flying in a large hall with hard floor doesnt really lend itself to this kind of flying.

Hmmm. Should I bring my camera and plane next time I go to Finland?

JJ
Old Dec 14, 2001, 12:09 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Hi JJ.

I've used Wingo to take aerial photos too (http://www.careliawin.com/tyson/RCAerial.htm). No problems with climbing, Sp400 6V, 2.33:1 gearbox, 9x6 prop and 8-cell 500AR batterypack can handle the extra weight (heavy camera, 170g - 6oz) without problems. By using a camera with automatic film winding, you can take all the photos during one flight - no need for diving after each photo shoot to wind the film. But as you said, landing carrying that extra weight has to be extremely smooth not to twist the landing gear...

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Dec 14, 2001, 04:05 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,523 Posts
Indoor Wingo

I'm guilty of flying my Wingo indoors. GWS DX-A, 3-blade 9" prop (Dymond), Hitec 555, CS-10s, C-5 ESC, and batteries ranging from 6 Sanyo 120 NiCads (9 volt type) for a 4 minute flight to 7.2 volt Lithium for 40 minute flights. It routinely flies in a single court gymnasium, a skating rink, and of course, outdoors. It has lots of wing, so if you remove some weight (CF LG axle) and install GWS gear, it will slow WAY down. Love the slow stuff.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Dec 14, 2001, 05:06 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,523 Posts
Indoor Wingo

Here's a photo of my Wingo flying in a skating rink in Ft. Worth, TX. Photo by Jason Nowell

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan