HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Careful!
Problem with Phantom 2 Vision - it fell from the sky

I have been advised by my dealer to start this thread on this issue. I guess it could be categorized as "HELP!", as well, but I figured "CAREFUL!" is relevant too. Please read the following email thread, copied and pasted below, that was sent to DJI and my dealer. I have not had a response from DJI, however the 48 hours which they list on their website has not passed. I do hope to hear from them soon.

E
Erik Jorgenson
to sales
23 hours agoDetails

To whom it may concern,
I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision from Century Helicopter Products / Helicopter World Inc. I received it last Thursday 11/14. On Friday 11/15 I unboxed it, read all the directions including downloading a .pdf of the manual from the DJI website, and charged the batteries. On Saturday morning I prepared for my first flight including the required compass calibration. Everything worked flawlessly and I experienced the most wonderful feeling of FPV flight. I was hooked at this time. A second flight later on Saturday was an even better experience as I was becoming more familiar with the Vision. I got my kids involved and videoed them with the Vision's camera as we raced because they thought they could run faster than it could fly. It was a big hit and I was more than ecstatic with this experience. Waking up on Sunday morning, 11/17, I was excited to get out and fly again. There was no wind, dead calm, perfect for a higher flight than the first two - I thought to myself, planning - I'm going to get up to some altitude...maybe a couple hundred feet. Everything started off fine. With fully charged batteries from the night before I took off and flew around for a minute just enjoying the ease of the controls. I started to ascend. When I got to around 60 feet up I heard an alarm sounding from my phone. I stopped the ascent and looked down at the phone, seeing that the battery icon was red. I could not see the number indication as there was glare from the sun on the screen. The alarm stopped. Looking back up at the Vision, all seemed okay. As I then slowly continued the ascent within one second it seemed like the motors on the left side of the Vision quit. The Vision went into a roll, continuously tumbling right-over-left all the way to the ground. I could not believe it as if I was having a really bad dream. I don't quite remember but I think that none of the motors were running as it hit the paving, as all I heard was silence followed by the crunch and cracking of plastic. I was in shock. I picked up the pieces and went home.
There is significant damage to the Vision. The camera mount plates shattered and the camera ripped off, except for the cord on the back, and it is bent at the plug. One blade had the tip snapped off. The landing gear is bent to one direction and away from the body at its mounting points as if the bolts have been stripped/ripped out of the body. The two body halves have separated slightly at a couple of locations where there is a gap and they no longer " line up". What I understand to be part of the compass on one of the landing gear legs has impact damage on theses multiple wires probably caused by the camera impacting them after the mount shattered. Just after the crash the screen of the DJI app on my phone states a message " Phantom 2 Vision connection lost" and the telemetry data shows 92% battery, 10 satellites, Distance 23.7 ft., Altitude 55.6 ft., Speed 0.0 mph.

Please help me remedy this situation. Is there a problem with the Phantom 2 Vision that would cause this loss of control and violent crash? I have several other helis, including fairly advanced CP models, and although I am far from an expert flyer I have gone through the normal learning curve, including unintended crashes, but none ever as severe as this. I thoroughly enjoyed the two flights that I got to experience from the FPV point of view and truly wish to experience more. What can be done?

Erik Jorgenson

E
Erik Jorgenson
to us.support@dji.com, support@dji-innovations.com, sales@centuryheli.com, +1
21 hours agoDetails
Dear DJI,

It was recommended to me, by Century Helicopter in San Jose California, to forward the following email to you. Please read the following and respond back to let me know what can be done.

Sincerely,
Erik Jorgenson
E
Erik Jorgenson
to us.support@dji.com, sales@centuryheli.com, support@dji-innovations.com, +1
12 hours agoDetails
DJI / Century Helicopter,
As Joseph with Century Helicopter was asking for the video of the crash during our initial conversation today, I regret to inform that I cannot provide that. I did however take a photo (attached) of the DJI VISION application screen that was displaying on my phone just after the crash. Please see attached photo, taken with my iPad, which shows the data "frozen" at the time when the Vision just fell from the sky - as described in my original email - Speed: 0.0 mph Altitude: 55.6 ft Distance: 23.7 ft. Battery at 92% with 10 satellites on GPS.
erikj is offline Find More Posts by erikj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,463 Posts
This is highly likely "Invalid Battery" issue, coupled with or simply a very unlucky failure of a new piece of electronics.

People need to realize the complexity of a quad helicopter, these are amazing pieces of technology but there is an amazing technological dance taking place in the background to keep one in the air.

1st there are 4 motors, each with its own electronic speed controller, if just one of these basic pieces fails, the craft will crash as you describe.

2nd there is a flight computer (FC), it coordinates the thrust amongst the 4 motors to roll, pitch, climb, dive. If this failed, it could crash as you describe.

3rd is the stabilizing subsection that can constantly feed corrective data to the FC to self stabilize. If this failed, it could crash as you described.

4th add GPS and compass to provide "Knowledge" to the system about it location in 3D space. Even this could crash you if it messed up.

Now add to this, a new craft where all this new stuff is just burning in, electronics usually do the majority of failing in the first few weeks of use.

One additional area is just plain workmanship or a physical failure, one bad connector, poor soldier joint, pinched wire, could become intermittent in flight by the vibration. My training in R/C goes back decades, normally the pilot does a visual inspection of all aspects of any new model before flying. When we build them ourselves, we check as we go and pre-flight before flying. On these pre-built systems, we are taking a leap of faith that someone checked it all very carefully before closing it up, and that shipping didn't work anything loose.

Sad situation but this happens, you should get a replacement as your new Vision failed in flight. The invalid battery issue has been resolved with the latest software update, but even without it, yours would have simply landed had that problem occurred.

An uncontrollable tumbling end-over-end is a complete loss of stability and a good lesson to anyone flying a radio controlled model, they fail, sooner or later. Many of us are extremely careful with storage, preparation, and flying, and we still see an occasional failure. It is the nature of the beast. That's why we carry insurance, that's what is in my head when ever I fly, "what if" and what I will do should "it" happen. That's why I think 3 times before flying over anything that would be bad to fall onto.

Not much to gleen from your description except the uncontrolled tumbling, some sort of hard failure. Only dissecting your Vision will perhaps give up the reason for the crash.

Good luck!, I hope you get a replacement.
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Last edited by RemE; Nov 19, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Response from DJI

Here is the response that I got from DJI along with how I replied. Copy and pasted below...looks like this is not going well!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Subject: Fwd: Report A Problem: Phantom [erik.jorgenson@gmail.com]
To: "support, us" <us.support@dji.com>, "sales@centuryheli.com" <sales@centuryheli.com>

DJI,

I responded in kind to an earlier email copied and pasted below. Maybe I haven't been clear on the extent of damage to the Vision.

I do not understand your response and in some ways find it unacceptable.
In my email I explain that my Phantom 2 Vision is damaged beyond flying condition. It is in pieces. It does not work! Therefore I HAVE not upgraded to the latest version of anything.
If you are are asking whether I HAD upgraded prior to my third flight, as described in my email during which the motors stopped while at ~60 ft. in the air, then the answer is no, I did not perform any upgrade. Was this a requirement? Maybe a fix to solve an issue with the battery?

I have attached photos to clarify the major visible external damage. Internally there are loose pieces that rattle around as well. This machine should not fly. Even if it could the camera is severed from the body and does not work.

Please let me know ASAP how DJI will be handeling my issue. I expect the following:
1. A brand new replacement in an expedited manner; and
2. A written response from DJI that describes the known issues and describes in detail what is being done to correct them. I can respect that new systems can have "bugs" that need to be worked out.

Sincerely,
Erik Jorgenson

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, support, us wrote:
Dear Erik,

please upgrade the firmware for Phantom 2 Vision's main controller and board.
please download the firmware at http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/.

Thank you,
Dealer Technical Support | DJI | www.dji.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2013/11/19
Subject: Report A Problem: Phantom [erik.jorgenson@gmail.com]
To: us.support@dji-innovations.com

Problem Report:

Product:

Phantom
North America
Dealer:

Century Helicopter
Name:

Erik Jorgenson
Email:

erik.jorgenson@gmail.com

I have sent the following as an email to you as Century Helicopter has recommended. Please respond with what can be done. To whom it may concern, I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision from Century Helicopter Products / Helicopter World Inc. I received it last Thursday 11/14. On Friday 11/15 I unboxed it, read all the directions including downloading a .pdf of the manual from the DJI website, and charged the batteries. On Saturday morning I prepared for my first flight including the required compass calibration. Everything worked flawlessly and I experienced the most wonderful feeling of FPV flight. I was hooked at this time. A second flight later on Saturday was an even better experience as I was becoming more familiar with the Vision. I got my kids involved and videoed them with the Vision\'s camera as we raced because they thought they could run faster than it could fly. It was a big hit and I was more than ecstatic with this experience. Waking up on Sunday morning, 11/17, I was excited to get out and fly again. There was no wind, dead calm, perfect for a higher flight than the first two - I thought to myself, planning - I\'m going to get up to some altitude...maybe a couple hundred feet. Everything started off fine. With fully charged batteries from the night before I took off and flew around for a minute just enjoying the ease of the controls. I started to ascend. When I got to around 60 feet up I heard an alarm sounding from my phone. I stopped the ascent and looked down at the phone, seeing that the battery icon was red. I could not see the number indication as there was glare from the sun on the screen. The alarm stopped. Looking back up at the Vision, all seemed okay. As I then slowly continued the ascent within one second it seemed like the motors on the left side of the Vision quit. The Vision went into a roll, continuously tumbling right-over-left all the way to the ground. I could not believe it as if I was having a really bad dream. I don\'t quite remember but I think that none of the motors were running as it hit the paving, as all I heard was silence followed by the crunch and cracking of plastic. I was in shock. I picked up the pieces and went home. There is significant damage to the Vision. The camera mount plates shattered and the camera ripped off, except for the cord on the back, and it is bent at the plug. One blade had the tip snapped off. The landing gear is bent to one direction and away from the body at its mounting points as if the bolts have been stripped/ripped out of the body. The two body halves have separated slightly at a couple of locations where there is a gap and they no longer \" line up\". What I understand to be part of the compass on one of the landing gear legs has impact damage on theses multiple wires probably caused by the camera impacting them after the mount shattered. Just after the crash the screen of the DJI app on my phone states a message \" Phantom 2 Vision connection lost\" and the telemetry data shows 92% battery, 10 satellites, Distance 23.7 ft., Altitude 55.6 ft., Speed 0.0 mph. Please help me remedy this situation. Is there a problem with the Phantom 2 Vision that would cause this loss of control and violent crash? I have several other helis, including fairly advanced CP models, and although I am far from an expert flyer I have gone through the normal learning curve, including unintended crashes, but none ever as severe as this. I thoroughly enjoyed the two flights that I got to experience from the FPV point of view and truly wish to experience more. What can be done?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
251 Posts
Wish the best of luck.

I came extremely close to purchasing a DJI Naza which is the flight controller of the Phantom, though as with anything I do research comes first. I researched for a couple months prior to settling with a kk2.0 which I love! My reason for not choosing the Naza is because there were too many threads on forums from customers just like you that experienced failures. There are threads here on Rcgroups specifically to keep track of Phantom & Naza Fly aways. In your case unfortunately it just dropped from the sky, though with fly aways other people have completely lost their craft and never found it. I hope you get refunded, or a new one.

The following is my personal opinion and just advice based on my experience.

I feel this hobby can be compared to learning how to be a race car driver. Obviously before anyone gets into a racecar they first had to have obtained their drivers license which requires training, went through schooling about defensive driving and how to make advanced maneuvers, learned about the inner working of the car and its limits, and so on etc.

This should be how all people go about entering the RC hobby. I began with a tiny toy quadcopter and mastered flying that with no auto leveling or gps. Those features should be something you work your way up to, you need to be efficient at the basics first, manual flight and being able to fly confidently and safely. After mastering flying the tiny quadcopter I completed months worth of research about building quadcopters from the ground up. I designed my own wooden H copter frame, purchased all of the individual parts from hobbyking, FC, ESC's, Motors, Batteries, Props. Through trial and error I built my first quadcopter, experienced some minor user error related mishaps such as mixing up wires on the FC and then testing it with props on, indoors, and it hovered shortly then when I moved the stick forward it came at me and sliced my pink skin to the bone, and then hit the cieling in my APT leaving 4 motor marks, and there was blood everywhere. My fiance was not happy. Though what I am trying to get at is that it was a learning experience and one that I will always remember. This is another reason why I triple check everything prior to flying. Though I ended up perfecting my custom built quad, creating a gopro dampening system and really taking time to practive manual flight. After about a year of gaining experience with my custom built quad I invested in a QAV500 frame, built it, set up my gopro, FPV gear, running a kk2.0 with 1.6 firmware that has great autolevel(it still amazes me the kk2.0 board was only $30.00. This set up is my professional rig for close proximity aerial video. here are samples of video from my set up.

Aerial Video of Pool Company Installations (3 min 45 sec)

QAV500 Demo Reel (3 min 37 sec)

overflow (3 min 2 sec)

Looking back, I came close to jumping into a Phantom though after much research came to my decision. If they offer you a possible refund I would consider a QAV500, I built my set up for around 800.00 with everything.
designandshutter is offline Find More Posts by designandshutter
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Thank you for the advice designandshutter. I will consider it. I did not do that much research and only compared the P2V against its one or two other similar competitors. I would love to build my own but right now my time does not allow for a project. I wanted an already built and integrated system.
Hopefully I will get a replacement and be able to use it successfully.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
251 Posts
Not a problem, best of luck!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
94 Posts
It's a toy!!!!!!!!!!!! Something for kids to play with. If the thing lasts 2 or 3 flight then you need to buy parts what's the big deal? Again it's a toy! If you want dependability then never buy a multirotor craft that has "0" chance of a autorotation.

It amazes me how people expect a new craft or a refund when they crash? Seriously? It's a fix pitch aircraft without any ability to recover from a failure. You buy this crap at your own risk. When they fail and they all do eventually the funs over and you buy another or quit. Personally I vote just quit! It's a cheap toy for people who have no idea how to fly nor will they ever learn to fly without a autopilot functioning at all times.

Sorry buddy you get what you pay for.
skyphoto is offline Find More Posts by skyphoto
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2013
4,011 Posts
Please, nobody read further in this thread before sending me (@ElGuano) the reasonable spectating fee of $5USD/page. Responses directly to (or quoting from) SkyPhoto carry a nominal $2USD surcharge.

Thank you!
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2312 motors and V2 ESCs
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Thank you skyphoto for your opinion. It is nice to live in a free country and have this right and be able to express it. Tell me more. What in your opinion should I be using for fun and recreational FPV flight? I may need to get another rig to facilitate my full review of the Phantom 2 Vision if things go south in my dealings with DJI/Centruy Helicopter.

And no, I didn't get what I paid for.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 04:03 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikj View Post
And no, I didn't get what I paid for.
It's a bit of a tough question in a funny way, and a matter of opinion, of course.

Would you expect something the price of P2 just fall off the sky right away? Certainly not.
Did you buy a high reliability aircraft? Are you kidding me? Many components are in the sub $20 price range, you can occasionally expect them to fail.
Did you do a proper preflight check? Where all connectors securely attached? Maybe you didn't. And DJI sadly has no control over whether you did or not.

If Phantoms might fail occasionally, it means it could happen to you. And it could happen on your first flight. Maybe you have just been extremely unlucky.

Of course, if DJI has bad quality control, it will happen to a lot of people. Reputation means a lot in this hobby.

Do you see why I think opinion matters in this?

Read carefully what designand says. That approach has a lot of collective wisdom behind it.
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varis View Post
It's a bit of a tough question in a funny way, and a matter of opinion, of course.

Would you expect something the price of P2 just fall off the sky right away? Certainly not.
Did you buy a high reliability aircraft? Are you kidding me? Many components are in the sub $20 price range, you can occasionally expect them to fail.
Did you do a proper preflight check? Where all connectors securely attached? Maybe you didn't. And DJI sadly has no control over whether you did or not.

If Phantoms might fail occasionally, it means it could happen to you. And it could happen on your first flight. Maybe you have just been extremely unlucky.

Of course, if DJI has bad quality control, it will happen to a lot of people. Reputation means a lot in this hobby.

Do you see why I think opinion matters in this?

Read carefully what designand says. That approach has a lot of collective wisdom behind it.
Just to chime in again really quick, thanks Varis for mentioning my previous post in your response. Also another reason why I chose to stray away from the phantom is due to its entire design. Don't get me wrong its a nice looking drone though nice is not what I was looking for, I was in search of performance, reliability, stable video, and a craft that was meant for FPV flight. The phantom is a plug and play ready to fly drone and meant to be extremely easy to use and judging by the prices of replacement parts they don't seem to be of real high quality. When researching I realized that my choices of ESC would not fit in the phantom, also I use some huge 4 cell 5000mah batteries to get over 20 minute flights with the qav500 and the phantom can only hold little babay batteries. Another thing I did not like was the frame is in a x configuration which does not leave a lot of mounting space for fpv and other gear. The QAV500 givews me so much room to work with work FPV gear, batteries, lights, multiple gopro cameras (1 facing down, 1 forward, 1 back), and still achieve over 10 minute flights. The phantom is completely enclosed, personally I like having my electronics exposed as they are because even after a 20 minute vigorous flight my motors and esc's feel the same as they did prior to lift off.... nice and cool. Also I have no limits as to the motor I can use and I can fit from 8" to close to 12" props on my qav with extended arms. This lets me adjust my quad to suite different flying situations such as fast quick maneuvering fpv flight, or large props low kv motors for smooth aerial photography and video capabilities. To be blatantly honest the more and more I looked at the phantom the more and more it made me think its a toy. Also on a final note, as a hobbyist I enjoy putting things together and making them work myself from the ground up. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment knowing that you got the craft up and running. RTF kits I feel take away from the fun of being a hobbyist, learning and tinkering are important. I recall being at an rc flight field and there were multiple people flying planes and and helicopters. A teenage kid shows up with a phantom and just plops it down, has a piece of paper in his hands I guess with instructions and tries to get it going. He gets is to hover but keeps giving it too much then too little throttle, he clearly is not a experienced pilot.Then he pilots it out in a straight line and then tries to turn it back and looses his orientation, instead of slowing it down and bring it to the ground he gives it full throttle and panics and just takes his hands off the controller, the quad comes crashing down and others watching just continue like nothing happened it was great. I put my fpv goggles on, plugged in my battery and flew over his crash site to assess the damage, all he could do was stand in aw at how I was just hovering perfectly in a circle around him and then came over to ask If I could help him fix it and if I knew why it crashed. I would have given this kid the time of day and some advice though I could tell he was just trying to be a showoff and I bet his friend got one thats why he needed one. I asked him how long he has been flying rc, he responded that this was his first one and that he wants to get good so he can spy on his friends at their houses. I told him that I think your in the wrong hobby, and that I cant help him. His phantom was in half, i did not feel bad at all. Not only did he get what he payed for, but he experienced what any non experienced pilots fate will be when behind the sticks, catastrophic failure.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 08:39 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by designandshutter View Post
To be blatantly honest the more and more I looked at the phantom the more and more it made me think its a toy. Also on a final note, as a hobbyist I enjoy putting things together and making them work myself from the ground up. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment knowing that you got the craft up and running. RTF kits I feel take away from the fun of being a hobbyist, learning and tinkering are important.
It's the other half of the spirit that makes one succesful on the RC scene. (The other being just going out and flying, every day.) It's a similar story why I have put together my PCs for the last 15 years or so: there was nothing on the market that was exactly what I wanted, and I had the capability to do it.

The current multirotor scene is a lot about building proto/test types and trying them out, one after another. I started 4 months ago, went through 3 mini/nanoquads and now building my 2nd big one. Turn key solutions like DJI/Phantom and others have a lot of ground to cover, not just as a technical product but how the users are supported and what kind of skills they pick up.
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis
Old Nov 24, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varis View Post
It's the other half of the spirit that makes one succesful on the RC scene. (The other being just going out and flying, every day.) It's a similar story why I have put together my PCs for the last 15 years or so: there was nothing on the market that was exactly what I wanted, and I had the capability to do it.

The current multirotor scene is a lot about building proto/test types and trying them out, one after another. I started 4 months ago, went through 3 mini/nanoquads and now building my 2nd big one. Turn key solutions like DJI/Phantom and others have a lot of ground to cover, not just as a technical product but how the users are supported and what kind of skills they pick up.
Same here, my last 3 computers have all been custom built. I wait until black Friday to get good deals at my local Microcenter.com and configure my pc specifically for video editing & 3d graphics & animation. My $1500.00 custom built pc outperforms my friends 6000.00 mac desktop workstation in render speed, processing power, and is a fraction of the cost.

after reading your last post it gave me an idea, not sure if any of you guys are coders or have tried to learn a coding language but there is this cool site called codecademy.com. The site teaches you how to code through interactive samples and then gives you assignments to complete, as you complete assignments correctly you advance forward and receive badges. I could envision building a website that is similar to this and trains users about electronics, rc parts, building a drone, but also gives tests at the end of sections and rewards flight badges when you pass. As you progress you can post your badges to social media and show off your skills and multirotor knowledge. It would start with basic flight and then transition to advanced flight and acrobatics, then cover flying for aerial photography and video and best practices. It would be great to develop tests in part with the faa if they were to create some standardized type of commercial pilot licensing. This way it could be a online training area for new hobbyists and those with commercial intent alike.

I have been working on my own idea for a forum / review site http://cinemaflight.com/ solely for quadcopter / multirotors and their uses. Also post production tutorials for premiere pro, and after effects to edit your aerial shots. Photoshop tutorials, custom build tutorials, and more etc. Also my personal reviews of products based on my experiences. Though now I like my new website idea for specialized multirotor training and learning with a badge system that enthuses people to learn and collect their badges to show off their multirotor knowledge. Possibly a site like this could help those who have purchased a rtf and want a quick course in the inner workings of a quadcopter without having to browse a forum or ask quesitons. Also I would provide support through email and answer specific quadcopter/ multirotor related issues. I have lots of ideas now and I am gonna start building the wireframe and basic ideas for the site.

If anyone has input about the website idea please let me know, comments, criticism, all is welcome. I would not want to put time into something without getting public opinion. Would anyone visit this site regularly if it existed ? do youthink it would be useful aside from sites like rcgroups that already provide a level of support and learning ? I think it could possibly work.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:12 AM
It got away...
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2013
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by designandshutter View Post
Just to chime in again really quick, thanks Varis for mentioning my previous post in your response. Also another reason why I chose to stray away from the phantom is due to its entire design. Don't get me wrong its a nice looking drone though nice is not what I was looking for, I was in search of performance, reliability, stable video, and a craft that was meant for FPV flight. The phantom is a plug and play ready to fly drone and meant to be extremely easy to use and judging by the prices of replacement parts they don't seem to be of real high quality. When researching I realized that my choices of ESC would not fit in the phantom, also I use some huge 4 cell 5000mah batteries to get over 20 minute flights with the qav500 and the phantom can only hold little babay batteries. Another thing I did not like was the frame is in a x configuration which does not leave a lot of mounting space for fpv and other gear. The QAV500 givews me so much room to work with work FPV gear, batteries, lights, multiple gopro cameras (1 facing down, 1 forward, 1 back), and still achieve over 10 minute flights. The phantom is completely enclosed, personally I like having my electronics exposed as they are because even after a 20 minute vigorous flight my motors and esc's feel the same as they did prior to lift off.... nice and cool. Also I have no limits as to the motor I can use and I can fit from 8" to close to 12" props on my qav with extended arms. This lets me adjust my quad to suite different flying situations such as fast quick maneuvering fpv flight, or large props low kv motors for smooth aerial photography and video capabilities. To be blatantly honest the more and more I looked at the phantom the more and more it made me think its a toy. Also on a final note, as a hobbyist I enjoy putting things together and making them work myself from the ground up. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment knowing that you got the craft up and running. RTF kits I feel take away from the fun of being a hobbyist, learning and tinkering are important. I recall being at an rc flight field and there were multiple people flying planes and and helicopters. A teenage kid shows up with a phantom and just plops it down, has a piece of paper in his hands I guess with instructions and tries to get it going. He gets is to hover but keeps giving it too much then too little throttle, he clearly is not a experienced pilot.Then he pilots it out in a straight line and then tries to turn it back and looses his orientation, instead of slowing it down and bring it to the ground he gives it full throttle and panics and just takes his hands off the controller, the quad comes crashing down and others watching just continue like nothing happened it was great. I put my fpv goggles on, plugged in my battery and flew over his crash site to assess the damage, all he could do was stand in aw at how I was just hovering perfectly in a circle around him and then came over to ask If I could help him fix it and if I knew why it crashed. I would have given this kid the time of day and some advice though I could tell he was just trying to be a showoff and I bet his friend got one thats why he needed one. I asked him how long he has been flying rc, he responded that this was his first one and that he wants to get good so he can spy on his friends at their houses. I told him that I think your in the wrong hobby, and that I cant help him. His phantom was in half, i did not feel bad at all. Not only did he get what he payed for, but he experienced what any non experienced pilots fate will be when behind the sticks, catastrophic failure.
I didn't let "fly away" scare me from naza. It appears to rarely happen and happens to people who but their gear and load it up all at once gimbal, fpv, cameras and have a fly away super mad about losing over 1 thousands dollars but couldn't read a manual.
And the phantom look and frame is why I bought the flamewheel 450 instead! What a beast, 1600 grams, 10 " props. Fpv gear go pro 3 and 10-14 minute flight times depending on battery.

I think you can have success on all these platforms, you just need to take your time! Sorry about your phantom though, I would be talking to the dealer, no dji.
Number2 is offline Find More Posts by Number2
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:05 PM
Cinematographer
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2013
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikj View Post
I have been advised by my dealer to start this thread on this issue. I guess it could be categorized as "HELP!", as well, but I figured "CAREFUL!" is relevant too. Please read the following email thread, copied and pasted below, that was sent to DJI and my dealer. I have not had a response from DJI, however the 48 hours which they list on their website has not passed. I do hope to hear from them soon.

E
Erik Jorgenson
to sales
23 hours agoDetails

To whom it may concern,
I recently purchased the DJI Phantom 2 Vision from Century Helicopter Products / Helicopter World Inc. I received it last Thursday 11/14. On Friday 11/15 I unboxed it, read all the directions including downloading a .pdf of the manual from the DJI website, and charged the batteries. On Saturday morning I prepared for my first flight including the required compass calibration. Everything worked flawlessly and I experienced the most wonderful feeling of FPV flight. I was hooked at this time. A second flight later on Saturday was an even better experience as I was becoming more familiar with the Vision. I got my kids involved and videoed them with the Vision's camera as we raced because they thought they could run faster than it could fly. It was a big hit and I was more than ecstatic with this experience. Waking up on Sunday morning, 11/17, I was excited to get out and fly again. There was no wind, dead calm, perfect for a higher flight than the first two - I thought to myself, planning - I'm going to get up to some altitude...maybe a couple hundred feet. Everything started off fine. With fully charged batteries from the night before I took off and flew around for a minute just enjoying the ease of the controls. I started to ascend. When I got to around 60 feet up I heard an alarm sounding from my phone. I stopped the ascent and looked down at the phone, seeing that the battery icon was red. I could not see the number indication as there was glare from the sun on the screen. The alarm stopped. Looking back up at the Vision, all seemed okay. As I then slowly continued the ascent within one second it seemed like the motors on the left side of the Vision quit. The Vision went into a roll, continuously tumbling right-over-left all the way to the ground. I could not believe it as if I was having a really bad dream. I don't quite remember but I think that none of the motors were running as it hit the paving, as all I heard was silence followed by the crunch and cracking of plastic. I was in shock. I picked up the pieces and went home.
There is significant damage to the Vision. The camera mount plates shattered and the camera ripped off, except for the cord on the back, and it is bent at the plug. One blade had the tip snapped off. The landing gear is bent to one direction and away from the body at its mounting points as if the bolts have been stripped/ripped out of the body. The two body halves have separated slightly at a couple of locations where there is a gap and they no longer " line up". What I understand to be part of the compass on one of the landing gear legs has impact damage on theses multiple wires probably caused by the camera impacting them after the mount shattered. Just after the crash the screen of the DJI app on my phone states a message " Phantom 2 Vision connection lost" and the telemetry data shows 92% battery, 10 satellites, Distance 23.7 ft., Altitude 55.6 ft., Speed 0.0 mph.

Please help me remedy this situation. Is there a problem with the Phantom 2 Vision that would cause this loss of control and violent crash? I have several other helis, including fairly advanced CP models, and although I am far from an expert flyer I have gone through the normal learning curve, including unintended crashes, but none ever as severe as this. I thoroughly enjoyed the two flights that I got to experience from the FPV point of view and truly wish to experience more. What can be done?

Erik Jorgenson

E
Erik Jorgenson
to us.support@dji.com, support@dji-innovations.com, sales@centuryheli.com, +1
21 hours agoDetails
Dear DJI,

It was recommended to me, by Century Helicopter in San Jose California, to forward the following email to you. Please read the following and respond back to let me know what can be done.

Sincerely,
Erik Jorgenson
E
Erik Jorgenson
to us.support@dji.com, sales@centuryheli.com, support@dji-innovations.com, +1
12 hours agoDetails
DJI / Century Helicopter,
As Joseph with Century Helicopter was asking for the video of the crash during our initial conversation today, I regret to inform that I cannot provide that. I did however take a photo (attached) of the DJI VISION application screen that was displaying on my phone just after the crash. Please see attached photo, taken with my iPad, which shows the data "frozen" at the time when the Vision just fell from the sky - as described in my original email - Speed: 0.0 mph Altitude: 55.6 ft Distance: 23.7 ft. Battery at 92% with 10 satellites on GPS.
As Century Helicopter sold you the defective unit,they should either replace the craft or refund your money. DJI in China will not do anything to help you. This is a DEALER issue and that dealer should make good on the product they sell.
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Closed Thread