HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:38 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,502 Posts
Discussion
Motion Rc, Hobby Lobby and FMS ??

Just curious about FMS lately and wondering if anyone can add clarity.
1) I really like Motion Rc and think they are one of the new best distributors in the USA in every aspect .
2) I really like Hobby Lobby and there proven years in the business, expertise and service.
What I don't understand is why when Motion takes the first step and risk involved in distributing FMS defined as taking inventory on hand , that now FMS also has Hobby Lobby doing the same thing and Dymond ?
Now please don't explain China and distribution to me or MOQs, if you know anything about me I have 28 years in the import business and know more then most distributors in the segment. What i do know is that more distributors mean less sales per distributor and a more difficult ability to make cost effective minimum orders from China.
Now perhaps they have a gentleman's agreement and they are splitting containers into the USA with the hopes that there is enough for all to go around , if that is it , then great .
I just want to make sure that when we get good new distributors that actually care about the hobby like Motion , that they get a chance to get established.
Again no offense to Hobby Lobby first class operation but perhaps they could have been an LX /New Starmax distributor and Motion could be all FMS .
Just food for thought
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
246 Posts
I concur with the "Gentlemans" agreement thought.......plenty to go around and we keep prices at some standard. No sense in being in business if you can't turn a profit......kind of like the oil companies?..........Glad for some ability to have these products distributed from here......I like the FMS 1400 series.....
eggsplurt is online now Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:52 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,336 Posts
Hobby Lobby is basically out of the game. They haven't received any new stock for several months.

MotionRC has direct relationships with FMS, Freewing, etc., etc. Diamond is only a FMS distributor, and is working on getting those products into local hobby shops like HobbyTown USA, for example.

MotionRC is here to stay I'd say.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Originally FMS had one major distributor in the U.S., Banana Hobby. That relationship enabled FMS to gain a foothold in the market and would've worked well, until the clamor for better customer service from Banana Hobby got too loud. FMS needed a better on-line distributor.

Around the same time, FMS became aware that brand presence in local hobby shops was just as important as on-line marketing. While many hobbyists like to shop on-line for convenience or low prices, there are many who like to see and feel what they buy and like the face to face human interaction they find at the LHS.

So in 2012, FMS marketing strategy developed into its current status. They got MotionRC to do on-line sales. They have Diamond Hobby as their hobby shop distributor.

For a country with a market as large as the U.S. having two distribution channels with pretty much distinct boundaries or territories so to speak, is excellent strategy for FMS as well as the importer/distributors. The US market is big enough to support these two companies and based on FMS's recent resurgence in the market, this strategy seems to be the correct method for the U.S.

BTW, it is not only having any online distributor or a LHS distributor. The key to FMS success is finding and developing distributors who truly care about delivering great customer service. I believe FMS found two winners in MotionRC and Diamond Hobby.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:32 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,354 Posts
Banana Hobby still sells FMS, Hobby-Lobby is selling FMS, Pacific Coast Hobbies in Lomita is selling FMS, There seams to be lot of shops selling them now
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,336 Posts
Old or older stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:01 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Old or older stock.
Hobby Lobby has just taken them on. Not old stock with them.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:14 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Old or older stock.
All New stock
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
I am willing to bet Hobby Lobby is one of Diamond's dealers. That's a lot of stores right there.

IMO, FMS hit a home run with Motion and Diamond (no pun intended).

They are following the marketing cue of Hobbyzone/Parkzone. By next year FMS will be a much stronger player in the US RC market.

With their diverse product line-up and excellent quality and competitive prices, they can eat deeply into the HZ profit line.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:58 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
726 Posts
My LHS, HobbyTown, is now selling FMS. Curious, because HT is a major distributor for PZ and E-Flite. With that happening, maybe PZ will start dropping their over-inflated prices.
6Sally5 is online now Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,502 Posts
I would agree that Hobby Lobby is new stock, I follow there site and its all new and just listed. They seem to drop Starmax/Londga as they had the P47 and were set to get the Fw190 .
If what is being said is true that Dymond is the hobby shop distributor and Motion the virtual distributor then it would make sense that making a container order would be easy as well as staying in the spare parts business.
I would to see Dymond and Motion pick up LX, I know LX would consider new distribution but for now its all at Banana Hobby .
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:24 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
All New stock
Ok first of all, Hobby Lobby JUST got FMS. I never check their site because it hasn't been updated in months. So sorry there.

But BH I doubt will get any further updated FMS birds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:32 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,469 Posts
don't confuse Dymond with Diamond... two different hobby companies.
Diamond is an FMS distributor.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
695 Posts
I said I'd never go back to Hobby Lobby. I guess I'll have to stop by now.
GLHS592 is online now Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Ok first of all, Hobby Lobby JUST got FMS. I never check their site because it hasn't been updated in months. So sorry there.

But BH I doubt will get any further updated FMS birds.
My friend talked to BH and said they just got a container from FMS about a month ago and also got a brand new P-51 with sliding tray and gold motor so yes its all new stock.