Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

Foxtech - Skyzone FPV Googles

The SkyZone FPV goggles feature a built-in 32CH 5.8G Diversity receiver, external camera, head tracking and more.

Splash

The new SkyZone FPV goggles from Foxtech feature an external camera, higher resolution screens and diversity receiver.

SkyZone FPV Goggles

RX32CH 5.8G Diversity
MonitorsDual 854X480(WVGA)
External Cam(640X480)
AVAV in and AV out
FOV30 degrees
Head Trackingself calibrating head track
Available From:FoxTech
Price (USD):$409 plus shipping and tax where applicable

Foxtech sent me their latest FPV goggles to use. These goggles have some ground breaking new features not found on other goggles. The build quality is very nice, the screens are crisp with clean edges and have a resolution that is higher than most. They also come with multiple cables (featured in the video and listed below).

I have been doing a series of articles for RC pilots that want to get into FPV. Goggles were the next natural step for me. Since I wanted to give a full evaluation of the goggles I took them to a local quadcopter club meeting here in Nashville, TN. The guys there had experience with many different types of FPV goggles. In my video they try the Skyzone goggles and give opinions on them compared to the goggles they currently use. I have also posted what the pilots said in the video in this article.

SkyZone FPV Goggles (16 min 13 sec)

The Benefits of Goggles with Diversity - A diversity system uses two different video receivers, and two different video antennas. This gives you a better chance of receiving a clean and unobstructed signal. These are connected by a diversity unit that chooses the best video signal. You could mount one of the stock antennas vertically and one horizontally. For best results you want to use different types of antennas. This gives you the option of using a long range directional antenna for one receiver and a non-directional antenna for the other. The diversity system automatically chooses which antenna is receiving the best signal at any moment.

Here is a more in depth look at the features:

External Camera - The 640x480 external camera was added to allow you to do things without removing your goggles. When you have to pull your goggles off you have the issue of your eyes adjusting to the external light. You also have to physically remove the goggles or situate them on your head so they don't fall off. The external camera allows you to keep the goggles on for small jobs and landing. The lens on the external camera does seem to make things look farther away.

5.8 Diversity Unit - These goggles have a built-in 8 channel/4 band 5.8G diversity unit. This allows you to use this unit with most FPV 5.8G transmitters on the market like Foxtech, DJI, Walkera and more.

Note - Since the goggles have a video in you could use another system and go in that way. Another option is to create a relay station that uses the 5.8G.

Dual Receivers - There are two 5808 receivers in this set of goggles.

Dual Antennas - The unit comes with two vertical omni stock 50ohm antennas with sma connectors.

Monitors - The goggles have dual 854X480(WVGA) monitors with 1,229,760 color sub-pix

Head Tracking - These goggles have built-in self calibrating head tracking that utilizes a gyro.

• PPM Channel Setup
  • Pan Tracking Range Setting
NOTE - If you use the Futaba trainer plug you can power the goggles that way (no external lipo needed).

Lipo Powered - A nice feature with these goggles is that just about any lipo you have can power them. The input power plug accepts voltages of DC 7- 28v/1A. I find that a two or three cell lipo does a good job.

FOV (Field of View) The SkyZone goggles have 30 degrees (diagonal).

Diopter Lens - The goggles also have removable optic lenses. These slide out. It comes with a pair installed with no correction. You can order lenses to help correct for myopic (near sighted) vision. This allows users that normally wear glasses to see far away to use the FPV goggles. People that only need reading glasses typically do not need any lens correction for the goggles. The lens sets sold for FatShark goggles also fit these goggles.

Here is a list of items that come with the goggles:

• FPV goggle
  • Carry case
  • Futaba data cable
  • JR data cable
  • WFLY data cable
  • AV cable
  • Power cable
  • 5.8G 2dBi antenna - 2

Comments from other FPV goggle users (these can be found in my video):

HeadPlay User:

• Impressed by all the features that were built in compared to the HeadPlay goggle
  • The view is much better
  • He was excited they had head tracking built in
  • He was upset how much better the Skyzone googles were compared to the HeadPlay goggles
  • Felt the built in diversity was a great feature
  • The SkyZone goggles did a great job blocking outside light

Cinemizer user:

• The screens are crisp and straight in all four corners
  • The video is clear
  • The Cinemizer has a clearer image
  • The external camera is great

FatShark User:

• The SkyZone goggles were much brighter than his FatShark goggles
  • The external camera would be useful for switching batteries without taking off goggles

Vuzix Wrap 1200 user:

• Felt very comfortable.
  • Liked the eye pieces on the SkyZone better than the Vusix
  • The screen is a good size
  • Blocks light effectively
  • External camera was "great"

Features Includes:

Additional Videos

I have added other videos that feature these goggles.

The first video by Fu shows the head tracking capabilities.

Foxtech SKYZONE Multi-function FPV Goggles (8 min 59 sec)

Bmsweb from RCGroups also did a nice video about the SkyZone goggles:

FoxTechFPV SKYZONE FPV Goggles First Thought - Part 1 (9 min 31 sec)

Here is a drawing that shows were everything is located on the SkyZone goggles:

Conclusion

When I pulled these out of the box I was excited about the quality build. I feel like they have everything I could need. The screens look crisp and clear and the feature set really opens up a lot of options. Once I was in the air I was no longer thinking about the goggles and was totally in the air with my quad. Finding my channel and band was simple. The fact I can use just about any lipo is a great feature. I also like that if you fly a Futaba tx the head tracking cable can power the unit. The AV out works great with my 7 inch monitor. These will be great to have at events like SEFF and Joe Nall. The goggles will allow us to bring observers along for the ride with the AV out.

I have used these with my FPV RC truck. With an IBCrazy cloverleaf BlueBeam on one side and 5 turn helical on the other and I had good range. I was even able to stand in the backyard and drive the truck into my house, through my basement and ultimately into my office and back to the work bench!

I have also used these with my DJI Phantom. The signal was solid and the goggles worked great. I used the external camera for the take off and once in the air switched to the FPV view. The one thing I really want now is a pan and tilt cam to utilize the SkyZone onboard head tracking. It would be great if they sold one to go with the goggles.

The external camera is handy. It's good to know the outside world is only a button click away. The only issue I have is everything looks very far away, almost stretched. I realize this is done to give you a wider perspective but it takes some getting used to. The external camera really worked well for me for close to medium views. If my Phantom was above tree level I couldn't see it with the external cam.

On my face the goggles tended to want to shift down slightly on my nose. This affected the focus for me. I can get them to sit perfect with a little work. I am working on a ski goggle mod for these goggles. When I took them out for the club members to check out none of them had this issue. In fact Jason Cole was surprised when I brought this up since they fit him so well. We all have different face types and a little foam on the nose piece should fix me up.

After you run these for a while they will get warm but not in any significant way.

Overall I think this is a killer set of goggles. The pilots I interviewed that had varied goggle experience also really liked them.

I plan to update this article as I use these goggles in different situations.

Learn more about the SkyZone goggles here.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Nov 19, 2013 at 09:54 AM..

Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,732 Posts
the first thought that came into my mind - Microwaved Brains and Eyes
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old Nov 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,210 Posts
they must be "decent" , they are sold out at the Fox Tech website
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:13 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,837 Posts
Great review Jim! I guess I know where my tax return money is going next year. Question, which hobby shop is that? I don't live to far from Nashville and the only two shops I know of are Danielle's and Family Hobby in Smyrna.
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,291 Posts
That is Hobby Lobby. I got my start there as the PR/Marketing person before there were brushless motors or lipos. It's under new ownership now. They have some killer RC car/truck courses.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,784 Posts
These look awesome and with them being able to receive all the 5.8g channels we use most common is great.

I think it might be time to upgrade from my Foxtech AIO's closer to Xmas.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
Is the microwave option available yet?
RocketRobin is online now Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,502 Posts
Thanks for your view Jim .
SkyZone goggles will back to FOXTECH
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/ this week . Hope it wouldn't let you guys wait too long .
glassfox is online now Find More Posts by glassfox
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:36 AM
Helicopters
United States, MA, Adams
Joined Oct 2008
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRobin View Post
Is the microwave option available yet?
im wondering that too! love to cook me some bacon , just a strip on each temple and crispy bacon in a few minutes be great!
thanks in advance.
Airworks is offline Find More Posts by Airworks
Old Nov 20, 2013, 06:11 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
I see no mention of the type of antenna connector it has. Please tell me they use the SMA and not RP-SMA so I can use the expensive antennas I already have.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,291 Posts
Dual Antennas - The unit comes with two vertical omni stock 50ohm antennas with sma connectors.
The goggles connector is female.
Administrator
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:35 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Thank you Jim, scanned the article multiple times looking for that fine print and missed it. Great news. Order going in now and my ImmersionRC diversity that's new is getting listed for sale.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,291 Posts
I was out flying with these yesterday. Good times. Motorcycle goggle mod is next!
Administrator
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:22 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
198 Posts
I'm glad to see other options than Fatshark appear on the market, although these look like an obvious copy of Fatshark's offerings, which must be annoying for Fatshark. My dream is a pair of FPV goggles as good at the Attitude SDs which also have an SD card player so I can watch films on them when I'm not FPVing. And for it to be under $400. The first company to release a product like that will have my money in a heartbeat.
skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:26 PM
Note - Self Destruct - OFF
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
Since it's a "Receiver" I don't think the diversity receiver IF stages generate that much external RF ( probably would get the FCC all over you if they did). Any head tracking data is sent over the RC Transmitter.

You could always fashion a nice aluminum foil skull cap

I keep an aluminum cod piece near our microwave I still don't trust those door seals !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
Arcorsai is offline Find More Posts by Arcorsai