HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:33 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Sep 2013
173 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX9 issue (spirals in to the ground)

Hi

I have some problems with my DX9 setup.
Crashed a plane when using the new DX9 with an AR6210 2 weeks ago.
After about 20 seconds it did an uncontrolled dive in to the ground.
Because i suspected an defected servo i rebuild it and flown it yesterday with my old DX6i and theAR6210.
There where no problems with this setup, flew for about 15 minutes with no loss of controls.

After that i binded my new DX9 to this AR6210. Started and within 20 seconds it took a dive again. Tried to recover but could not get it out of the spiral dive.
luckely it leveled above the ground so only the nose was damaged.

So, I am stucked now.
Any advise
mvd1968 is offline Find More Posts by mvd1968
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Did you do any range test prior to flying? You could have rf issues that would show up in a range test.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2013
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Did you do any range test prior to flying? You could have rf issues that would show up in a range test.
Did a range test with the dx6i but not with the dx9i
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
sounds like power failure a strong possibility
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 15, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Sep 2013
173 Posts
Fixed my plane and took is out today. Did the first run with the DX9 and the new AR10000. No problems or connection lost. Then I used the DX6i with this AR10000, also no problems.
Problem only occurs when using the DX9 with the AR6210

So I got to the conclusion that the DX9 does not like the AR6210. Will only use that receiver with the DX6i from now on
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,591 Posts
Range test !!!!!!!!!
That is the first thing you do with a new radio with every model and every now and then if you do not use telemetry/flight log !
There is no such thing like "the DX9 dislikes the AR6210".
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
I fly a couple planes with AR6210 and DX9. That's not the problem.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:24 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd1968 View Post
Did a range test with the dx6i but not with the dx9i
You must have plenty of money to spend on models.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
You must have plenty of money to spend on models.
How is that?
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd1968 View Post
Hi

I have some problems with my DX9 setup.
Crashed a plane when using the new DX9 with an AR6210 2 weeks ago.
After about 20 seconds it did an uncontrolled dive in to the ground.
Because i suspected an defected servo i rebuild it and flown it yesterday with my old DX6i and theAR6210.
There where no problems with this setup, flew for about 15 minutes with no loss of controls.

After that i binded my new DX9 to this AR6210. Started and within 20 seconds it took a dive again. Tried to recover but could not get it out of the spiral dive.
luckely it leveled above the ground so only the nose was damaged.

So, I am stucked now.
Any advise
I have a similar problem with mine. I had two lockout on two different aircraft (loosing one) with 2 different types of receiver. I suspected it was the new1.03 firmware, but have been informed that no RF changes were made in that version. Odd because I didn't have an issue with the DX9 before. I'm not happy using the transmitter now, so will send it back for testing
lethbrp is offline Find More Posts by lethbrp
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
We haven't made any RF changes at all in the DX9. You might want to provide some information on the aircraft and configurations including receiver, power, servos, and flying style.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,850 Posts
ALL manufacturers say do a range test. Most modellers say the same. Use a little care and commonsense in your installation, obeying the manufacturers instructions, and it should never be necessary. Sure, do one a year later to check nothing has deteriorated, or after a crash, but that's all.

It's called 'quality control' and it should be done at the r/c manufacturers factory. Ching Chang Wong r/c may not have heard of it but I am sure Spektrum do it.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 25, 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
We haven't made any RF changes at all in the DX9. You might want to provide some information on the aircraft and configurations including receiver, power, servos, and flying style.

Andy
The two planes were a Parkzone Spitfire and Parkzone Mosquito. The Mosquito has the stock receiver and the Spitfire a Spektrum Sports Gyro Receiver, other than that, both planes unmodified. The flying field is a farmers field with no trees or obstacles (flat land), straight line of sight to both aircraft. The aircraft lost signal in pretty much the same area approx quarter of a mile from me. The mosquito, fortunately had enough height to regain signal. The Spitfire wasn't able to regain signal before hitting the ground. The flying style was plain circuits, no aeros involved.
Last edited by lethbrp; Feb 25, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 03:07 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,591 Posts
Did you check the LEDS on the rx or was the battery disconnected during the crash ? You probably had no telemetry on it ? It's a pity the 635 does not support flight log.

I think most ESCs have linear BECs. I had lots of issues with linear BECs and replaced all with ESCs with a switching BEC. They are more reliable, at least for me.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts

I notice that within a week I have received notification of two fireware updates. I applaud Spektrum for adding new functionality, but are we sure these are being adequately tested in such a short timeframe. By their own admission it's complex code. I'm not keen on loosing more models. I think I'll wait and see how this works in the wider community.