Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:58 AM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
Fokker DVII "Raben" paint scheme

I just started my AerodromeRC Fokker DVII build. I'm looking for documentation on the ravens (Raben) paint scheme for the Fokker D VII (yes, Rodd, I did copy this from your thread):
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2004, 12:02 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
It looks like each aircraft had different horizontal stablilizer colors. I think I like the bottom one best.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 01:07 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
I did the Raben and Chicks for my Prototype. I plan to add the decal set to my decal section on AerodromeRC. Hopefully, tonight I'll have it there. You can print the raven decal right on adhesive label material and attach to the fuse.

-K
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Oct 30, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:11 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
Sounds great. I like the 3 pointed star with the raven.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the colors of the horizontal stab and "flippers".
Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:27 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Look in www.aerodromerc.com/decals

The Fokker DVII zipped file contains the crosses and the raven and chicks image I used.

-K
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:33 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
I will definately use the raven. I'm going to pass on the chicks.

By the way, are any pictures of your prototype available online?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:16 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
fliir:
As you can see from my avatar, I chose one of the "Raben" schemes for my D VII. My favorite was the top one in the painting, the raven and chevron. You are right about the different hor.tailplane scheme for each of these planes, as well. Mine has an all-black stab/elev, with a white reversed chevron top and bottom. I found documentation of this in several places, including the Revell 1:28 scale plastic kit. The red/white colours are very easy to see in flight, and really capture the "Flying Circus" look, I feel.

Post pics as you go, please.

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Feb 26, 2004, 07:25 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Wow, how many kit manufacturers let you download markings for their kits? Nice customer service Kurt.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Feb 26, 2004, 07:37 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
You were reading my mind, Dave...kudos, Kurt!
It's the extra, thoughtful stuff like that that inspires fanatical loyalty among customers

Hey, Dave, you dug out of the snow yet? It was snowing in Atlanta last night and a bit here in Nashville. Yuck.

Still looking forward to hearing about the Albatros' flying...well, perhaps it'll thaw up there in the Northern Wilds by April or so...

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:42 AM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Thanks all for the comments. My goal is to help make a wonderful era of aviation popular again. Now that we are approaching the 100 year anniversary of WWI, I expect more interest in WWI aircraft. I was inspired by the Guillows kits in my youth and want to bring more of those type models to electric flight.

I was looking or my photos of my Fokker but cannot find them.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=2
is a post I made with a photo.

-K
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:25 AM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
Brad:

Where did you find your stabilizer colors? I can't get the perspective of the bottom bird in the painting, which is the scheme I like best.

I'd accept any guesses - perhaps successive black and white stripes in a reverse chevron pattern? Or are the stripes horizontal?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:03 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
fliir:
The Revell plastic kit is based on the chevron scheme, so there were top and bottom views showing the colours and layout. My lhs also copied a couple of pages from his Aeromaster decals catalogue, showing the same scheme. I just went down to my shop to see if there was a URL on those pages, but alas, no luck. Only a Miami, Fla., mailing address. I don't know if they show decal sets for the other two planes in the painting, or not. I do recall seeing drawings for all of these planes somewhere, but can't recall where now . I believe that the tail of the one you like has alternating white and black diagonal stripes top and bottom on the stab/elev., but don't know how many, or how wide. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Brad.

BTW, you don't need a lot of power to make a D VII look real in the air; 50 or 60 w/lb is plenty, if you use it to turn a scale-size prop at about 4000 rpm. I'm turning a 20 x 10 Zinger at 4000 rpm, about 600 watts into a 10 lb airframe, with a 13oz/sq.ft. wing loading, and the performance is better than the full-scale could do! Majestic stall turns and wing overs, barrely rolls, and big oval loops, all at around 30 mph (50 kph), are just right for the slightly more than 1/5th scale of my model. It's my favorite flyer, and has rewarded me with 3 trophies from 4 different big bird/scale fly-ins over 2 years.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Last edited by Brad Trent; Feb 26, 2004 at 08:23 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Trent
fliir:
The Revell plastic kit is based on the chevron scheme, so there were top and bottom views showing the colours and layout. My lhs also copied a couple of pages from his Aeromaster decals catalogue, showing the same scheme. .
I went to the Aeromaster decal web site: http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/cgi-bin/amd2.pl and found two sheets (48-611, 48-612) of Fokker D-VII markings but the Raben markings weren't in them. The second sheet has a black and yellow scheme that looks interesting, tho its a but busy for me.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2004, 02:47 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Glenn,
We're actually going to have better weather than you guys in the south this weekend. Temps are going way up but there's still about a foot or so of snow on the ground. I'm going to check one of our club fields Sat. One of the guys said that the snow pack is so hard that people are using wheels on their planes rather than floats. If that's the case I may give the Albatross a shot.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:21 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
George:

Thanks for the site. Mostly, I am trying to avoid lozenge - too much work.

I am open to other schemes.