HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
Discussion
New scratch builder from foam

Hey everyone,
I have been building kit planes for years but have never done a large scale scratch foamie build. I have plans for 61 planes that I am wanting to do but have no clue on how. Any help will be great.

Thanks to all
Kevin
Radical RC is offline Find More Posts by Radical RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:22 AM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Go to flitetest.com they have many planes that the designed with dollar tree foamboard (adams foamboard) they have multiple tips for scratch building with foam. Its where i started scratch building and have had much success with less that 10$ per plane 2-4 servos and 1-3 sheets of foam.
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Kevin: are these 61 planes foamie designs/plans, or balsa, or just 3 views? If the first, then go to the plane's build thread and follow the designer's lead. Post questions as you get hung up, we are all friendly here! If they are the last two, then i would build a plane that is well documented here, like BluBaby or one of the 600+ ones in that thread and get the methods down, then take on the conversion. You may well find one of your 61 in that thread already done for you!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:34 PM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
These are all plans that can be cad router cut... I plan to do them from hand cut pieces. Yes it is the hard way... and they are not foam planes per-say. Just detailed plans. I really planed to use blue foam or pink from hardware store with some balsa and plywood for strength. If I am messing up please let me know. The covering i planed to use 1/4" foam core sheets with 3mil printed sticker from my local sign shop. Hardware like canopies,cowlings and things in shaped plastic is going to be my real problem...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:36 PM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
Thanks RcAirplaneNoob.Will add the foam to my must get
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
Springer... They seem to be mostly balsa plans
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,466 Posts
I think you should follow springer's suggestion only instead of looking up threads on particular airplanes, just go look up build threads on a bunch of foamies and read them. You'll gain a lot of insight on construction methods, materials, and tools. I think you'll have a much better chance of success in building from your plans after doing just a bit of research.

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:50 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
i think you should follow springer's suggestion only instead of looking up threads on particular airplanes, just go look up build threads on a bunch of foamies and read them. You'll gain a lot of insight on construction methods, materials, and tools. I think you'll have a much better chance of success in building from your plans after doing just a bit of research.

Ben
+1.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:51 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical RC View Post
Thanks RcAirplaneNoob.Will add the foam to my must get
No problem, glad to help.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
There are many types of foam, and many ways of building using foam. There are also many different sizes of models. So you need to make some decisions on what you want to do.

Perhaps choose the plane/plan you really want first, then look for any builds.

A wish list often stays just that, ..... until you cut the first piece of foam.

You said, "I have been building kit planes for years .....", what sort and have you flown them successfully ?.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:27 PM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
Hey Ray,
Love your planes... Really love the SBD. Every plan I have is for 64"WS up to 144"WS. The best kit I still have is a Sopwith with a 32"WS. Was a rubber band model but I went electric 4ch with her. Also have a P40 stick build 28", still going. Both are about 12 year old models and both have been converted over to electric. Can fly at parks and soccer fields that way. I have had several over the last 30 years both foamies and stick planes that have flown well. A few not so well...LOL ;-) What I really want to do is a 114" P61 Black Widow. Doing all foam is new to me though. I figured it should be about the same as a stick build. If not... PLEASE let me know.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
A ten foot wingspan twin warbird isn't exactly the best plane to start scratchbuilding with foam, not that it wouldn't be a cool subject. If you haven't already seen it do a search on 8 foot span B17 to see how it's done.

To your comment about stick builds, building with foam (especially if one is designing and building) isn't really like stick builds at all, other than the obvious craftsmanship shows and lighter flys better, etc. The biggest difference i've found is that with foam, the strength is in the foam skin, so lots of formers, stringers, longerons, gussets, etc are not needed. One can also roll and otherwise form the foam to pretty complex curves, so there are new opportunities in it's use. You will have to change your mindset from building a girder/structure that gets skinned with essentially non structural film to building the shape you want with foam then only adding additional reinforcing where testing shows it is needed.
If you embrace those differences, you will find foam is more fun than balsa sticks (unless you really like the tedium of cutting and gluing many many small parts together). To get started, i still think you should build a plane that has a good build thread and good set of pdf plans. Even pick a plane that is somewhat below your skill level, as you won't get caught up in the challenge, and can focus more on perfecting your foamie build techniques. You will find that foamie builds go much faster than stick builds, so starting with a "beginner" design (you pick how you define beginner), you can finish it quickly, test it, use it up, fix it (foam breaks into big chunks typically, so repairs go fast too), change it and really learn from it the things you will want to use on the "real plane" you want to do.

Just be aware, foam building is seriously addictive! (He said while working on plane number 80+ .....actually i think i lost count!)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Nov 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=644

Very useful book for exactly what you're doing
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Nov 13, 2013, 06:25 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical RC View Post

What I really want to do is a 114" P61 Black Widow. Doing all foam is new to me though. I figured it should be about the same as a stick build. If not... PLEASE let me know.
Ouch!, there is madness and there is MADNESS.

I assume you have the Ziroli P-61 plan.

Have a look at this balsa build of the same model, --

Ziroli P-61 Black Widow Build

Not a project I would fancy taking on in balsa let alone foam at that size. Thought it is quite possible, it's just that at 70 I like to finish planes, before they finish me

There are three P-61 threads I found in the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum, (found with a Search this Forum on P-61), but I didn't look in them.

There is really on one answer, Go for it.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
Thanks Springer,
I believe I will take your advice... I have plans for a Arup S-2 40” WS I think I may start with. SEEMS to be an easier build plus it has been done over and over again. There are plenty of things on them to look at.

I got these plans... all LARGE scale... for little to nothing. I figured ... "What the heck... figure it out in foam". I have foamies and see what you are talking about with the shaping of the foam and lack of girder/structure in them.
Here is a list of the plans I have... Any suggestions is most welcome

A6M5 Zero 91” WS
A-26 Invader 61” WS
AD-7 Skyraider 62.5” WS
AD-7 Skyraider 100” WS
Airbus A320 60” WS
Arup S-2 40” WS
AT-6 Texan 101” WS
B-17 Flying Fortress 78” WS
B-17 Flying Fortress 125” WS
B-24 Liberator 110” WS
B-25 Mitchell 101” WS