HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Heppy Ket, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:01 PM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Build Log
Zeta Science FX-79 Buffalo Professional FPV Flying Wing

Thanks to Jason, who asked me to do the build log and testing as he was unable to proceed due to unforseen last minute commitments elsewhere, Thanks also to Jill from Zeta Science.

Lets begin, I thought I'd get this going and add the video once that has finished uploading.

First Impressions,

She came wrapped in bubble wrap and taped inside a cardboard "tray" which was contained in an outer carton. The outside carton had been pierced by a largish blunt object that had not penetrated the inner carton, the aircraft arrived intact with no damage.

Gosh it's big. I have a Gentle Lady 2 metre sailplane that is an old favourite FPV ship, but this thing has such "presence" it is sure to impress out in the field and in the air.

Compared to the Skywalker the cargo area looks capacious. Another word for big.

FX-79 Build Log part A (1 min 25 sec)
Heppy Ket is offline Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Nov 12, 2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: add video link
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:29 PM
The Aero Scout
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2013
73 Posts
How long does it take to upload a video these days? .... oh that's right the new Govt has scrapped the NBN now hasn't!

Keen as mustard to see this ship matey.
JasonWallis is offline Find More Posts by JasonWallis
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:46 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Vimeo is still chugging away, off to work for a while now and will commence construction this evening, won't get a lot done, but I'm busting to start.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Slide evening, a closer look, leafing through the instruction manual

Here are some pictures, there is a manual in the first post of the Discussion Thread (Photobucket, bit hard to read the detail)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2023676

Recently added PDF manual (much better) thanks Jill

http://www.newzeta.com/download/fx79_manual.pdf

The wing looks to be straight forward, I personally would prefer the servo linkages to be on top of the wing out of the way of landing obstructions, but I'll go with this as it is, there is a belly skid on the fuselage and a wingtip skid that may perhaps keep the linkage clear of most obstacles.

So to the first slide
Name: PIC_0001.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 99.6 KB
Description:

A nice clean looking nascelle in the centre of the wing, with a large access hatch that is secured with zip ties to two clips that clip onto the spar, simply grasp the hatch either side of the zip ties and wriggle upwards. That will save you cutting through the zip ties and replacing them later, I may use something a little more "aerodynamic" in any case. Or, you could always use the zip ties as handles, which is most likely why they are there!

Name: PIC_0002.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 103.6 KB
Description:

Then you can remove the upper nose section, it is attached with double sided tape. It allows good access to do whatever you want in there unimpeded. I'll be glueing mine back in place once I've decided what to put in there.

Name: PIC_0003.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 104.6 KB
Description:

Then there are the two little hatches to left and right (port and starboard if you prefer) of the main hatch. Possible to put vtx and aircraft receiver in here, lots of food for thought here. Many possibilities.

Name: PIC_0005.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 106.9 KB
Description:

The twin fins sit on the wing stubs for the moment glued on later I think. and the wing attaches quite neatly outboard of them, there is a machine screw to undo first, fit the wing into place, and replace the screw, it appears to be quite secure. I think you'll want a good stock of spare screws for the great outdoors.

Name: PIC_0006.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 99.1 KB
Description:

I didn't tackle the upper motor cowl as yet looks like it should come off allowing access to the motor mount, need to do it carefully, double sided tape again I expect.
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Dec 18, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:52 PM
Keepin it real....
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,065 Posts
Good stuff mate, you're doing a much better job than I would here.
I get too excited, build too fast and forget to take any pics

Are you going to make it one piece?
I'm lucky enough to have 2 big cars so I'm planning to glue it all up solid.
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Thanks Chris, it is hard to pause for the pix once you get into a gallop that's for sure. No I am going to leave the wing detachable so it'll be a three piece. I have to find some spare screws as I can see a looming disaster there one day when I drop one in the grass

That will also be a good point of comparison for the viewers!

I have a Holden (Daewoo) Viva wagon, I have a Scout Bee that just goes in, I fear this will be tooooooo big!

Looking forward to your build.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:17 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heppy Ket View Post
Thanks Chris, it is hard to pause for the pix once you get into a gallop that's for sure. No I am going to leave the wing detachable so it'll be a three piece. I have to find some spare screws as I can see a looming disaster there one day when I drop one in the grass

That will also be a good point of comparison for the viewers!

I have a Holden (Daewoo) Viva wagon, I have a Scout Bee that just goes in, I fear this will be tooooooo big!

Looking forward to your build.
Just tie it to the roof, don't drive too fast though or you'll take off!!!

Where did this one come from, what shop?
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:30 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Had one like that I called it Miss Piggy, has been stripped of FPV duties and awaiting trial as a slope soarer, possibly Sunday by the weather forecast.

No shops have this as yet, I have it to do this build log and I guess that will promote some interest and provide feedback to the good folks at Zeta Science. This is the same company that brought out the Phantom FX61 that Hobby King sell. Possibly they might sell this one in the future.

I'm currently just painting a few bits and putting the canopy latch together and thinking about the internal layout.

Also planning to put in a tow hook as I think this one will be launched by bungee especially if I'm flying on my own.

Good to hear from you and thank you for your interest, feel free to chime in with any comments, observations, questions or what have you.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:49 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Let building commence!

I have decided to leave the wing until later as I am waiting for servo's. According to the manual the fuselage is next.

Name: PIC_0007.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 114.2 KB
Description:
I have painted the nose section satin black (after wiping down with metho first) as cameras are going to be mounted there, what looks to be a camera mount has been provided, It's ply wood and some screws etc, I'm deciding how to use it to mount the flight camera. This will be a Fatshark 420line CCD camera on a pan servo.

Name: PIC_0009.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 105.3 KB
Description:

Next I have glued the retaining clips to the canopy hatch and re-attached the cable ties to use as handles to remove when necessary, seems to have a strong positive action should work well, not a magnet in sight .

Name: PIC_0008.jpg
Views: 135
Size: 117.1 KB
Description:

Name: PIC_0010.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 85.5 KB
Description:
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Nov 13, 2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:56 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Pest alert!

Tarnation! While waiting for paint to dry, thoughts to clear I decided to look at the motor mount. It's plastic and you are instructed to use the cross shaped mount that would come with the motor, all good so far, but the screws are too short.

Can't fit to the plastic on it's own (probably not a good idea anyway) so off to get some screws tomorrow, The ones supplied (with the motor) are 8x3mm so I'd better get a selection, after all I want them long enough but not too long.

what a pest!
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Nov 13, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:19 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
Onward and upward

Off to Jaycar (electronics store) for some 3mm screws, you can't beat them for a good screw ended up with a packet of 25 10x3mm roundhead screws. I'd have preferred countersunk of course, but one must make do. They appear to be a good fit.

The motor is a Turnigy D3536/6 1250kv erm at 3s a 10x5 prop and 4s a 9x5 prop I think.

As a bonus I now have spare screws for the detachable wings, probably best used with washers.

Name: PIC_0001.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 150.4 KB
Description:

Name: PIC_0003.jpg
Views: 250
Size: 138.0 KB
Description:

Name: PIC_01.jpg
Views: 327
Size: 152.3 KB
Description:

Regarding the little hatches either side of the central hatch, I have decided to put the Ez-UHF receiver in one side, and the Ez-Osd in the other assuming everything else will fit in around this. They'll be fastened by tape at this stage so I have access to the contents later.

The motor is now in and has been run up with a 10x6 prop on it, will hook up the Watt Meter tomorrow and see What's up. (Gee I don't know where I get them from)
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Nov 14, 2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: update
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,527 Posts
Its is worth $299.00 + shipping?
(opinions).....

p.s.
does it come with Servos?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:57 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Good grief I thought my FX61 was huge! The misses would have my berries in a vise if this one showed up on the door!
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:10 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,180 Posts
It would be very difficult to sneak this one in, that's for sure! I can't wait to see it up against a friend's X8. Worth $300us and then add the shipping, ah well the simple answer is it is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. Compared to others, for myself, probably not unless, it turns out to be a very exceptional airframe. No, there are no servos included.
Last edited by Heppy Ket; Nov 14, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:43 PM
Keepin it real....
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,065 Posts
Looking good Heppy!
Hope to start mine tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Its is worth $299.00 + shipping?
(opinions).....

p.s.
does it come with Servos?
You could always ask these guys for one and do a full review.... it seems to come with motor, esc etc.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036388
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NutBag; Nov 14, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Closed Thread