HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:38 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jan 2004
361 Posts
help me understand the flap function on my 6XAS

I've been flying a 4 channel plane for some time now with my 6XAS. I love the radio, and understand all the features -- except one. My next model will use 2 aileron servos for flapperons, so I need to figure it out.

On the 6XAS, there is no switch to deploy the flaps. There is a knob labeled "ch 6 flap trim." The markings indicate that the knob has a center position and can travel in either direction.

If I'm using flapperon mixing and want to deploy flaps, do I just reach up and turn this knob? Does turning it the other direction lift both ailerons, creating spoilers? If so, it seems like getting it back to the neutral position in flight would be really hard since there is no center detent. Plus it would require you to take your hand off the left stick to fiddle with the knob.

I had expected there to be a switch that you would throw that would deploy the flaps / spoilers by a programmed amount. This does not seem to be the case.

There is a switch for elevator dual rates that is situated next to the knob. It also aloows you to turn custom mixes on or off. I currently have aileron, rudder, and elevator dual rates assigned to the aileron dual rates switch as I have no need to activate them seperately.

There are dedicated switches for elevator - flap mixing, gear, and the air brake function, which I believe raises both ailerons and mixes in some up elevator.

Please help me understand how this will work.

Matt
shams42 is offline Find More Posts by shams42
Last edited by shams42; Feb 24, 2004 at 10:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:09 AM
Fun Manager
Villa Grove, Illinois
Joined May 2000
1,695 Posts
Matt,
You are correct -- the knob is there to move the flaps, but it is really intended just to do minor adjustments to your flap deployment. You can adjust how much effect it has by adjusting the flap trim function.

To drop your flaperons together on a switch, use airbrake. That's exactly what its' for.

Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://www.crosswindseqresq.org/
AMCross is offline Find More Posts by AMCross