SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2013
88 Posts
Discussion
is this plane any good?

hi i am thinking of buying this plane from bananahobbie as a rtf : http://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-fms-...html#navImages

i was wondering is it any good? are the components any good?
is it worth my money?
is banana hobby a good place to buy things from?

thanks
meow876 is offline Find More Posts by meow876
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:48 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,059 Posts
If you are a very experienced builder and flier you can probably take a Banana Hobbies plane and figure out what needs replacement and or modification to make it into a serviceable plane. And you might not if the plane at best flies like a dog. Some of them do, you know. That's a lot of money to pay for a question mark. I'd pass.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I personal have two FMS planes, one mini T28 and a Red dragonfly. FMS made very nice plane, now depends on your experience, the one that you want may not be a easy flyer, any crash will result heavy repair cost plus parts shipping cost.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2013
88 Posts
what company do you guys recomend me buy from and what planes u recommend for 400 and under that is ready to fly
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:33 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Well I would never spend that much on an RTF. In fact I wouldn't spend ANY money on an RTF but I've been into this hobby for a while now.
I see this is your first post and wonder if you have much RC airplane experience? After years of building balsa free flight models I finally bought a styrofoam high wing RTF from Parkzone six years ago. It was three channel and taught me a ton about what I was getting into. I flew and crashed and repeated that many times until i was comfortable with Rudder Elevator and Throttle controls.
I have never ordered anything from Banana but if this is your first plane I would highly recommend you go with the HobbyZone (Horizon Hobby) Super Cub.
You will learn a lot from it about flying and repairing and it will make it a lot more fun when you graduate to a plane like the Messerschmitt you are looking at.
I am not a Horizon Hobby salesman. I just think that if you want to go with an RTF and have not flown RC aircraft before you will have a lot more success and a lot more fun with a plane similar to the Super Cub.
So since we don't know what your experience level is I'm going to say pass on the Me109.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
635 Posts
If you are just an average flyer (not a beginner), the 109 you are looking at will not be hard to fly.
I have a little 800mm FMS 109 with a lot of flights on it.
I also have a Dynam 1270mm 109.
Both are easy flyers.
In my opinion the 109 is one of the easiest flying warbirds you can get.
They track like they are on rails (i think that is probably due to the long fuselage)
The worst problem it has & a lot of warbirds have the same problem.
They nose over pretty easy on take off & landing, so if you don't fly on a good surface, this is a problem.
Also the Splayed gear on the 109 can make ground handling get a little tricky.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2008
30 Posts
As the others have said, if you are a beginner, this would not be a good plane. I can't comment on this plane but it's pretty expensive. You can probably get an ARF or KIT and put something together yourself for significantly cheaper.
Firestem4 is online now Find More Posts by Firestem4
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Jul 2008
30 Posts
If you're looking for warbirds specifically, Hobbyking has a good selection. Nitroplanes.com also has some good models. I have no experience with them but Hangar 9 models look really well built too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow876 View Post
what company do you guys recomend me buy from and what planes u recommend for 400 and under that is ready to fly
Firestem4 is online now Find More Posts by Firestem4
Last edited by Firestem4; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: another company
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,862 Posts
As Shafferama pointed out, really no one can make a recommendation as we have no idea what your experience level is. If you're an experienced RC pilot, it might be a great plane. If you've never flown RC, you'll be lucky to get it off the ground before you smash it to pieces. Need more info.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 11, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joined Nov 2013
88 Posts
well I have a little plane from air hogs and I fly that pretty well but it's just 2 propellers and it's just throttle and turning . I tryed rc sims with out a remote I did well on that too
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:23 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,893 Posts
Get a hobbyzone champ and then think about something more advanced, the champ can be had for $90 (buy a couple extra batteries), which will leave you with plenty of money for the second plane... you also need to know that a plane with a 55in wingspan like that cannot be flown in the same small space that an airhog can. Trust us when we say that a warbird, even a foamie like that is not a good place to start after an Airhog and a little sim time without a remote. If you find that it is easy to fly then you will be ready to take the next step (and you will have a nice small one to fly in the back yard), if it proves to be a challenge then you can thank us that you didn't plow a $400 plane into the ground.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
635 Posts
He is right about the Champ.
It is a very good beginner plane for a small flying area.
It is hard to be specific about what plane to recommend, because there are too many variables.
Flying ability - size & runway conditions of where you fly - available help - budget - ect.
Good luck with your choices (we have all made the wrong ones at times).
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Nov 2013
88 Posts
I just don't wanna spend money on a beginner plane and just never use it once I get a real one
What u guys think about a rc simulator
And is 1 acre for flying?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,862 Posts
Sigh... Who has the link to 'My jet goes 100mph'?

Now the OP can get mad at me for my moment of weakness, tired of hearing this story again. But if rc flying was so easy, why would they have trainer plans in the first place?
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
594 Posts
As far as trainer planes being boring or used just once...well, I still fly the heck out of my Eflite Apprentice 15e. It is really a fun plane especially when it is too windy for other planes. A fellow club member feels the same way about his Flyzone Sensei. The LHS owner told me his Hobbyzone Champ was his favorite plane. Everybody needs to own a high wing trainer. I will never get rid of my Apprentice. If (when) it crashes, I'll just fix it and fly again.

I'm also a fan of simulators. I feel like I've learned quite a bit using Phoenix Flight Sim. I still learn with it. However, nothing will prepare you for the first time you put a model plane in the air. A trainer will be way more forgiving than a warbird. My first plane was a Hobby-Lobby Zero. Thankfully, I listened to the advice of others and didn't fly it until I had the experience to do so.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592