SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Sep 2011
116 Posts
Discussion
About to give up on the whole FPV dream and sell it all....

O.K, so after hours and hours of work, thousands of dollars, I have yet had a true FPV flight in an airplane. I have had many FPV flights with a tri-copter, but this POS raptor is killing me. I am seriously considering selling everything and dropping out of the hobby all together.. I have SO much time and energy tied up in this with very little return joy. I have crashed my plane each outing only to spend hundred of dollars, hours and hours rebuilding to get another 10-15 second flight. This last crash this morning cost me a Gopro Hero black along with the plane and batteries and everything else I have yet to determine....

What do I do????? Give up and sell it all?? Or try a new plane platform?
Wilde Racing is offline Find More Posts by Wilde Racing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2013
189 Posts
Learn to fly the plane first? I'm in the same boat right now learning to fly my bixler, nowhere near ready for FPV. I have a small spot to land, maybe 50 yards surrounded by trees. I'm simply not getting better at landing, I have to crashland each time. Even with full flaps I cannot scrub enough speed, fly in low and level and land with out hitting the opposing treeline.
crtek is offline Find More Posts by crtek
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
132 Posts
bixler has huge wings, is almost a glider. You need a bigger field.
Uk flyer is offline Find More Posts by Uk flyer
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
827 Posts
You need to master the aircraft first man. I wouldn't even consider attempting an FPV flight until the plane controls and it's responsiveness were second nature to me.

You are trying to run a marathon when it doesn't seem you've learned to crawl yet. One step at a time friend
bigddybn is online now Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
and leave all the expensive crap in the house until your a competent pilot... its a similar problem to people picking up the rtf phantom quad and crying when they crash it or hit someone... fpv either quad or fixed win is not for beginner pilots... Get some flight time on a simple bixler 2 or similar and get up that confidence. you will get there buddy trust me
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:35 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,180 Posts
I'm assuming you're learning from your crashes and what to watch out for, this is a bad time to put in FPV gear. Fly the plane and get it to crash some more until you've built up enough of a checklist that you haven't crashed or done significant damage for a month, only then would I recommend that you put in FPV.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
273 Posts
I don't know what that plane flies like, but some might look good but fly like crap and really don't help a beginner. It sounds like you would really benefit from learning to fly with something like a Bixler, it's a tried and tested model that you can fly with your eyes closed.
As the others have said, learn to fly LOS first, you'll learn a lot and have fun.

Chris
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Sep 2011
116 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I know you are all right, but I thought I had enough flight simulator time as well as heli and tricopter time in to make it work....

I really want a Phantom wing. I have heard the wings are harder to fly, but I really like the idea of the layout, as well as the transportation. I have seen videos of people launching them with motor off, and gliding for a bit before climbing. My FPVRaptor was a handful to launch fully loaded...
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
United Kingdom, Thornbury
Joined May 2012
308 Posts
Iv gone from learning to fly. To learning to flying fpv since jan this year.

I started with the axn because although same price as the bixler 2. Its alot more crash proof.

I crashed that thing into one car park barrier full speed. One goal post, multiple trees, many nose hard landings.....one hay stack and not to mention a full explosion of a 2200mah 3s and fire.
It still flew. (Although it was held together with alot of fibreglass reinforced tape)

I got to grips with it and then my fpv stuff.
Two months ago i brought the bixler 2. I now plan to stick with this bird for a long time. She flies amazingly. I did go to my local air field and have a trainer test fly her first. But she flies like a dream.
From someone who has gone through these steps this year. Trust what these guys are saying here. Dont jump the 20foot river gap without first building your bridge.
You WILL get wet!!!

Baby steps dude.

I would recommend a bixler 2 or axn for beginner. I wrote a long thread on my findings on these two birds.
But it comes down to this:
Both great for beginners
Bixler is much more agile, predictable and controllable.
Both are crash resilient.....but axn takes the biscuit. It can handle everything you throw at it. Because of that, id say go with this first. Then move up to the bixler so your less likly to ruin her straight off.

Good luck and stick with it :-)

Edit:
As a beginner though, never forget the following:
Know your location
Check your batteries
Check COG
Check flight control movements
Takeoff and land into wind

COG is a biggie :-)
theroots123 is offline Find More Posts by theroots123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Quad Fun with new camera
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Sep 2013
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk flyer View Post
bixler has huge wings, is almost a glider. You need a bigger field.
Yep, I believe you're right. Thinking about a soccer net or golf net as a backstop, and of course a bigger field here and there.

Planes are tough! And I can fly quads 3D just fine... think I'm a convert from multi's now though! glad I didn't start with a flying wing
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,412 Posts
Like many have said
Learn to fly on something simpler, the Raptor is a great plane but not for a beginner in FPV, it tip stalls too easy which means you have to land with some speed rather than just float in, that also applies to in flight, too slow and it will stall and it's very difficult to rescue once it goes
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Last edited by Dogdude; Nov 10, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,412 Posts
crtek
The other option is to get the weight down as much as you can, the Bixler/Skysurfer is hard to bring down as it floats so well and if it has more weight it will carry more speed making it even harder to land on a small runway
Flew mine the other day line of sight with a 3000mah battery and a GoPro on the nose, boy it just didn't want to stop when I came in on the rough terrain

Skysurfer Bixler 1400 Overshoot on landing (0 min 16 sec)
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
you gotta be crazy to strap a $400 go pro onto a plane youve yet to keep aloft more than 15sec...

Spend more time on a simulator with FPV capability. you should be able to fly it all day long without crashing.

If your able to do that, but its not translating into real flight, then your plane must be setup wrong.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, Tracy
Joined Sep 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Like many have said
Learn to fly on something simpler, the Raptor is a great plane but not for a beginner in FPV, it tip stalls too easy which means you have to land with some speed rather than just float in, that also applies to in flight, too slow and it will stall and it's very difficult to rescue once it goes

Watching my crash video, I'm pretty sure that is what happened. I was only about 100 feet up, there was no way to save it, well at least with my experience....
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2013
189 Posts
Thanks. Great thread!

I've just got a 2200 in there for now, although it does have some added weight with the leading edge, nose and tips taped, heavy motor mount and 2200kv(yes first motor i know..) some glue for repairs here and there. And I don't even have the FPV gear in there yet.. maybe I can catch it on landings.