Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2004, 06:38 PM
Lamar, Mo.
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Troy Built Models "3D Delite"

Question on Troy built model..... Does anybody out there in the ether have any info on the TBM3d Delite? It's an ARF out of Sarasota, Fla. that sells bare-bones for $29.95. I need this info asap if anybody can help! Thanks.
flyboy1299 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1299
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:55 PM
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Sep 2003
94 Posts
Ibought one the other day. I am in the middle of putting it together. One was flown for me but it had a brushless set-up on it. My friend also bought one and he was at the flying field with the designer.

Nice kit.
outacntrl is offline Find More Posts by outacntrl
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:09 PM
Sarasota, Florida
Joined Sep 2003
94 Posts
It is a Bluecore 3D profile plane. I think it is a scaled down version of the 260 Extra???

Anyway, the kit was nicely packaged in a labelled TBM box. It contained the fuse, wing, and stab pieces. They were pre routed for the spar, had precut and pre-hinged control surfaces, electronics cutouts prelabelled (so as not to lock you in to certain components, I think), contained necessary hardware (control lines, ez connects, aileron wires, TBM control horns designed for the plane and the offset hinges, motor mount, and TBM balsa/CF spar (nice design), and full color instructions.

Call Gene Payson @ 941-342-8685 (if I remember correctly) and he can tell you more. There is also a website at www.troybuiltmodels.com

I do not have any affiliation with TBM or Gene. I just met him through a friend that saw him flying his 3d Delite at SRQ flying field in Sarasota.

I think you can also buy all of the electronics needed for the plane from the same place as the kit, including the transmitter gear if needed. Brushless OR brushed.

Good Luck and let me know if I can answere any questions. I'm sorry I can't offer any flying characteristics as I haven't had time to finish mine yet although my friend likes his a lot and told me you cannot get the thing to stall and it doesn't have any funny roll or pitch tendencies doint aerobatics. He said it can turn around in it's own fuse length.
outacntrl is offline Find More Posts by outacntrl
Old Mar 01, 2004, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2003
138 Posts
I finished my and the only problem I had was
with the control horns and getting tension on
the pull-pull.
ended up just super gluing the string instead of
trying to wrap it on the horn( the horn tore into)
kept the servo end tied for future adjustments.
I don't really think you can believe the statement about flying in a 20mph breeze( the fuse flexed on mine in a 12mph wind so that
the pull wire on the lee side of the fuse would
develope slack, but then my skill level still leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm waiting for my gear ratio to come in for
my Topcreations RC gearbox( absolutely the
best GWS replacement box I have seen!!)
so with the wind and only a 3.75 ratio it is to
soon to say about flight times and 3D stuff,
but I can tell it is going to be a lot of fun,
pretty durable,easy to fix(hell you can draw the
pattern out on your own fan-fold) and has established(if you make your own copy) a new
cost ratio for motor to airframe($200 to $3)

keary
keary is offline Find More Posts by keary
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:01 AM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
keary Ė Wow, what motor are you using for that figure? The brushless motors suggested on his site cost like $70 including the gearbox.

Has anyone tried using an outrunner with no gearbox? If so, which one and what prop works good with it?

Looks like a neat plane, I wonder about itís main drawbacks for maneuverability. I donít like the flat wing, but I do like the slow flight characteristics. More flight analysis would be great.
1Way is offline Find More Posts by 1Way
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:37 PM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
Has anyone tried using an outrunner with no gearbox? If so, which one and what prop works good with it?

Looks like a neat plane, I wonder about itís main drawbacks for maneuverability. I donít like the flat wing, but I do like the slow flight characteristics. More flight analysis would be great.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:31 AM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
I'm about 3/4 finished with building mine. Going to run it with GWS 350 brushed motor and APC 11/7 SF prop.

Since I have never flown a profile plane like this (nor a true 3d plane), I'm a bit nervous about flying her. My plan is to get at least two mistakes high before I try anything tricky. May fly it this weekend, weather permitting. Looks like wind and rain though. I'll post after my maiden flight.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old May 02, 2004, 08:48 AM
Re-kitter
Newtown,CT
Joined May 2002
49 Posts
Progress?

Cincy,
Any progress reports on the Delite yet?
-Alan
AlanCon is offline Find More Posts by AlanCon
Old May 02, 2004, 11:36 PM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
Post and run fliers...
Old May 06, 2004, 04:37 AM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
Maybe they discovered some seriously long life batteries, still out flying.
Old May 11, 2004, 08:15 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
sorry all, forgot I posted to this (also changed e-mail accounts so I don't know when someone posts to a thread I'm subscribed to!)

I posted a new post in the 3d forum regarding this plane. Here is the link. Any questions, feel free to ask!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229858

again, my apologies!

Cincy
Old May 11, 2004, 10:40 PM
Bristol IN
Joined Mar 2004
350 Posts
cincy - Thanks for the update. FYI, you can easily catch up all your discussions by doing a single advanced search now and then. Just enter your handle in the user box and click search. You will get all your discussions assorted by thread which makes it really easy to see if anyone has been responding where you have made posts. It's a big forum, the search function works excellent.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:49 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
thanks for the tip. I updated my e-mail address too so that should help me keep up!
Last edited by cincy; May 12, 2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2004
90 Posts
wat glue did you use for the plane also wat paint and can you paint evrything.
thanks (can you paint evrything not talking about electronics.
zeeshan is offline Find More Posts by zeeshan
Old May 13, 2004, 10:13 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
I used foam safe ca and hot melt glue. You can paint as much or as little as you want to, just remember that paint will add weight. I used rustoleum paint that I brushed on.